Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by kb1992
After I left my suite of Q hotel.....
I mean, after the initial Quarantine, all bets are off; then it depends solely on geographical location, and what the flavor the current quarantine situation happens to be.
The following pics (also Marriott) are from late last year of the +7 'quarantine' hotel in Shanghai; but UA_Flyer's trip just a couple of months later already saw that option heavily restricted.

Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being locked in a Marriott ain’t that exciting to me either, suite or not.

The rest of the world is open, life is short.
Q Shoe Guy and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
Apologies; it wasn't 100% clear from your previous posts that lying & cheating was required to get a choice of hotel.
I understand now.
I am guessing that many people who come to Shanghai have some sort of business in Shanghai, even if their final destination is somewhere else. It's possible to convey the message without lying.
joesk likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Being locked in a Marriott ain’t that exciting to me either, suite or not.
Well, that's what I mean; it's a matter of timing: I had an awesome week in Shanghai for my +7, and could move around freely.
It was a great holiday!

Last edited by narvik; Jun 6, 2022 at 6:01 am
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I am guessing that many people who come to Shanghai have some sort of business in Shanghai...
Completely disagree; I'd say most people who came/come to quarantine in Shanghai have absolutely no "business" in Shanghai.
Most seem to have been school teachers or returning Chinese citizens with final destinations all over China.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Completely disagree; I'd say most people who came/come to quarantine in Shanghai have absolutely no "business" in Shanghai.
Most seem to have been school teachers or returning Chinese citizens with final destinations all over China.
I said "many" not "most" because I don't pretend to know where everyone wants to end up. Perhaps my perspective is skewed because I am based in Shanghai and the majority of my friends in China are as well, but even when I lived in Beijing and later Shenzhen, I always had offices here. Furthermore, I'm guessing simply listing a friend's address (and maybe an invitation letter) would pass muster with the airport guys. In any event, I think you're blowing this out of proportion because the only downside to trying and failing is ending up inside a hotel room in a different part of the city.
joesk and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Smile

Update from Hangzhou.

After I left my suite of Q hotel, I checked in at Hangzhou Marriott and got another family suite, upgraded from regular room. The hotel staff are very nice to this Marriott Ambassador. They didn't even ask for health code etc.

My room has magnificent views of Qiantangjiang 钱塘江 River.

I had a funny story when I tried to visit a beauty salon at a large mall near Marriott. Guards at gate 1 refused to let me in because he saw my 14-day history with a star sign with Shanghai listed from my phone A. So I went to gate 2 and produced phone B which has no Shanghai trace. I only turned phone B on after I arrived in Hangzhou :-)

Dinner at Marriott executive lounge. Nice view. Nice food.

Touring West Lake, a favorite site in Hangzhou for me. I visit there every year. There are very few tourists. Nice.

Finally, some delicious dishes in Hangzhou, treated by friends.

My total cost of meals in Hangzhou: zero.

My next stop is Chengdu. Another favorite city in China for me.
So, most importantly, did you use the child tent and bath toys?
kb1992, narvik and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What a charming suite. Was the pink rocking horse fun? Did you sleep with the big stuffed animal on the sofa?
kb1992 and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by uanj
So, most importantly, did you use the child tent and bath toys?
Didn't use bath toys... it's simply too small

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What a charming suite. Was the pink rocking horse fun? Did you sleep with the big stuffed animal on the sofa?
I did have a nap with the stuffed animal on the sofa The pink rocking horse was fun. Just to stare at it in the morning.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I did have a nap with the stuffed animal on the sofa The pink rocking horse was fun. Just to stare at it in the morning.
Well, it was quarantine. Did you speak to the pink rocking horse? Did it speak back?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by uanj
Did you speak to the pink rocking horse? Did it speak back?
Sounds very I Am Legend to me
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
So Taiwan is allowing transits from JUN 15. Does this mean that you can fly into mainland China without needing a code?
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...oiw?typeid=158
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Palal
So Taiwan is allowing transits from JUN 15. Does this mean that you can fly into mainland China without needing a code?
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...oiw?typeid=158
I thought China was still banning incoming people from transiting in 3rd countries if direct flights existed?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by angetenar
I thought China was still banning incoming people from transiting in 3rd countries if direct flights existed?
China does not ban such passengers. However, Chinese embassies/consulates will refuse to issue health codes to transit passengers where direct flights exist. Obviously if health codes are not required then it's not an issue.
Having said that, prior to the current general transit ban coming into play in 2021, Taiwan had already banned transit passengers going to China. So it remains to be seen whether they will allow that along with other transits.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Reducing quarantine to 7+3

Seems like there might be a pinprick of light at the end of a very long tunnel to possible COVID normality at some point this decade...

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2022-06-2...rRC/index.html

China has slashed the quarantine time for people entering the country to seven days in centralized quarantine plus three more of home monitoring, down from 21 days of quarantine and home monitoring combined, according to a new guideline released by the State Council on Tuesday.

Under the new protocol, nucleic acid tests for international arrivals have also changed, with mandatory testing for five of the seven days spent in centralized quarantine and one test for the three days of home monitoring. The swab collection process has also changed from the nasopharynx to the oropharynx.

The control measures for the close contacts of COVID-19 patients have also been adjusted to a seven-day home quarantine for medical observation instead of seven days of medical observation in isolation at designated sites.

Also, high-risk zones will be reduced to medium-risk zones if no new cases emerge within seven consecutive days. Afterward, if there are no new cases for three straight days, it will be reduced to a low-risk area.

The frequency of nucleic acid tests for individuals with direct contact with inbound travelers, goods and environments has increased to once a day. And antigen tests can be used as a supplement for suspected patients and individuals in medium or high-risk areas.
Edit to add that this is post number 2000, but how many more will we need before the borders are open, flights are back to normal, no backlog of visas, etc.

Last edited by plunet; Jun 28, 2022 at 11:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.