Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old Sep 24, 22, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster View Post
For HK you still have to wait until your code turns blue on the morning of your third day, but in the meantime you aren't confined to a quarantine hotel which is a vast improvement. The pre-flight test for the flight into HK can now be a rapid antigen test instead of a PCR, which is cheaper as well.

Macau is a viable option because once you finish your quarantine you can travel to the mainland as normal, no extra isolation required. So having a choice of hotel makes the 7-day quarantine and 3-day monitoring period more comfortable. There are only two quarantine hotels available (Lisboeta, Regency Art Hotel), and both comparable in cost at a minimum 100-120 USD per night including meals. The Broadway Hotel will be the only option for yellow code holders after Oct 31, and runs about $50/night without meals.

Less time spent in HK if you're only there to transit, less total quarantine time, lower cost since you can choose any hotel for your three amber code days.
Unless there is a reason to be in HK, based on the current PRC restrictions and visa situation, there is really no point to transit in HK to get into PRC. If PRC relaxes entries from HK for foriengers, then totally agree with the statement. Hopefully soon!
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster View Post
For HK you still have to wait until your code turns blue on the morning of your third day, but in the meantime you aren't confined to a quarantine hotel which is a vast improvement. The pre-flight test for the flight into HK can now be a rapid antigen test instead of a PCR, which is cheaper as well.
Under the current 3+4 regime, you are allowed to cross the border with a yellow QR code during the +4 period. There is no reason why you cannot do the same during the +3 period under 0+3.
The government announcement says that you won't be able to access the PCR test at the land border while holding the yellow QR code and that renders the border itself inaccessible.

Last edited by tauphi; Sep 27, 22 at 6:11 am
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Unless there is a reason to be in HK, based on the current PRC restrictions and visa situation, there is really no point to transit in HK to get into PRC. If PRC relaxes entries from HK for foriengers, then totally agree with the statement. Hopefully soon!
Most people are coming through HK on the way to China simply because it's cheaper than flying direct.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
Most people are coming through HK on the way to China simply because it's cheaper than flying direct.
Based on my research, it's been considerably easier to get flights from Korea or Taiwan to China than from HK, and I'm not sure I have the stomach to roll the dice on the land border lottery.

However, I'm still considering stopping over in HK on my way back from the US because, unlike Korea and Taiwan, I have customers (and banks) in HK I haven't visited in person for over a year. Flying down there from here for two days of meetings didn't make sense at all when HK also had the 7-day quarantine. With the new 0+3 policy in HK, it makes a little more sense, but I'd still rather wait until after I'm outside of China anyway.
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
But isn't it up to the hotel whether they take amber-code guests?
Yes, but I don't know how many choose not to. All the ones I've checked have said they accept amber code guests. You can't use most of the facilities without a blue code, but you can stay there.
Old Sep 27, 22, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Has anyone been able to get a multiple entry Chinese visa of any type after March 2020? Or are they only giving out singles?

Also, if you have a non-expired but currently not valid 10-year visa, and you apply for a new post-March 2020 visa, will the consulate cancel the 10-year visa?
Old Sep 28, 22, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by boat stuck View Post
Has anyone been able to get a multiple entry Chinese visa of any type after March 2020? Or are they only giving out singles?

Also, if you have a non-expired but currently not valid 10-year visa, and you apply for a new post-March 2020 visa, will the consulate cancel the 10-year visa?
Some visa categories may allow multiple entries, e.g., R. Residence Permits also allow multiple entries. Otherwise no you will only get a single entry.

Yes if you get a new visa your old visa will be cancelled.
joesk and boat stuck like this.
Old Sep 28, 22, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With Japan opening for tourism after October 11th, would it make sense to try to enter China through Tokyo instead of Seoul (or Hong Kong, if it turns out that that gateway actually works)?
Old Sep 28, 22, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
With Japan opening for tourism after October 11th, would it make sense to try to enter China through Tokyo instead of Seoul (or Hong Kong, if it turns out that that gateway actually works)?
I'll check all options when it's time for me to come back here next year, but Japan-China fares are quite pricey at present (i.e. total cost of doing that drill starting from the US is even more expensive than 857, which is my benchmark).
Old Sep 28, 22, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
Some visa categories may allow multiple entries, e.g., R. Residence Permits also allow multiple entries. Otherwise no you will only get a single entry.

Yes if you get a new visa your old visa will be cancelled.
Shoot, that's what I was afraid of, losing the 10 year visa and getting only a single in return.

Looks like I'll wait a few more months.
Old Sep 28, 22, 5:27 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BonvoyLTT, UAS
Originally Posted by boat stuck View Post
Shoot, that's what I was afraid of, losing the 10 year visa and getting only a single in return.

Looks like I'll wait a few more months.
I recently applied for a new multi-entry visa, got a single entry instead. According to the consulate, all prior 10 year visas are invalid. You will need to apply for a new visa regardless of waiting.
Old Oct 16, 22, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Well, back in quarantine near Shanghai....

It all went smoothly: AVP-EWR-SFO-AKL-PVG. Did the HDC code in both USA and NZ, although they say you could "get away with" only doing the HDC code in NZ.
Maybe it's because it's not my first rodeo, but it all seemed a lot easier than a year ago.

The only disconcerting thing is that the hotel room reminds me of the TV show "Dexter" with the carpet covered in plastic wrap :
YariGuy and joesk like this.
Old Oct 16, 22, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Well, back in quarantine near Shanghai....

It all went smoothly: AVP-EWR-SFO-AKL-PVG. Did the HDC code in both USA and NZ, although they say you could "get away with" only doing the HDC code in NZ.
Maybe it's because it's not my first rodeo, but it all seemed a lot easier than a year ago.

The only disconcerting thing is that the hotel room reminds me of the TV show "Dexter" with the carpet covered in plastic wrap :
Thank you for posting. We're always curious about current data points.

A few questions:
1. Where is the hotel? I assume since you don't live in Shanghai they can put you anywhere. That might be a good thing because I'm limited to xuhui only and there aren't any great options
2. I didn't notice a couch, or even an easy chair, in your picture. That would drive me nuts (only getting to choose between bed and desk)
3. What are the food delivery rules?
4. Can you do the plus 3 in your own place or at least an actual hotel?
joesk likes this.
Old Oct 16, 22, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Thank you for posting. We're always curious about current data points.

A few questions:
1. Where is the hotel? I assume since you don't live in Shanghai they can put you anywhere. That might be a good thing because I'm limited to xuhui only and there aren't any great options
2. I didn't notice a couch, or even an easy chair, in your picture. That would drive me nuts (only getting to choose between bed and desk)
Cheers.
1. Where is the hotel?
Well, we started driving SOUTH after leaving PVG, and I was thinking: "Oh, ohhh!!"
The seemingly endless drive took us to JinShan District!
Yes, it's because none of us are staying in Shanghai, I am sure.

2. I didn't notice a couch
No, nothing like that. But it's MUCH better than my hotel last year, so I am not complaining. The plastic on the floor is a bit horrible though.

Has three choices of standard delivery at different costs per day: RMB60, 80, or 100, with increasing "quality". I chose the RMB100/day, but canceled it after the first meal, because 1) I have brought tons of my own food with me, and 2) they have a paper in-room menu which you can order from, A-La-carte. Tried it today...will see what turns up!

You can order pretty much anything else from outside too with two deliveries/day.
This is in STARK contrast to my experience last year!!! Much better here this time around.

This is THE BIG remaining mystery. i have been trying to figure this out with the help from others in the WeChat group, but nothing concrete as of yet. Some are saying it depends on whether your community in Beijing will allow 7-day "quarantinees" or not; others are saying we HAVE to stay in this hotel. Not sure yet....

P.S.: I can see the ocean from my room!!!!
joesk and GinFizz like this.
Old Oct 17, 22, 12:02 am

China still having a 10 day quarantine is a joke. The speech by his highness yesterday also seemed to indicate they expect to continue their horrible covid policies. Can't imagine all but the most determined traveler will be heading to China in 2023.

Search this Thread