Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 11:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by moondog
I don't have ANY personal experience with the travel health codes, but I've heard that they run on a native app (so WeChat, Alipay, my office building's app, etc. are not relevant). I think it's reasonable to assume that the software will improve (a lot or a little is anyone's guess) between now and when you fly back in September.
We don’t have our HK departure-specific code yet.

But I have Wechat PRC Pay (the verified type) and it seems like I can fill in my arrival info for Shenzhen NHC in there,
Old May 22, 2021, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
I don't have ANY personal experience with the travel health codes, but I've heard that they run on a native app (so WeChat, Alipay, my office building's app, etc. are not relevant). I think it's reasonable to assume that the software will improve (a lot or a little is anyone's guess) between now and when you fly back in September.
They run on mini programs in WeChat, but I have no clue about the technical details. I use the Guangdong one in shenzhen, the HuNan one when I’m there, and the aliPay one when I’m in shanghai.

But anyway, I’m more concerned about the record at the time of vaccination, not the time of health code app in September. I would much prefer to have a vaccination record formally tied to something digitally or on a database. Not just a fapio with the infamous “chop.” If I’m gonna be in the granddaddy of all surveillance states I at least want it to work for this case.

Even though I’m always amazed at how much power a blurry smudged chop can have in China.
Old May 22, 2021, 1:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
They run on mini programs in WeChat, but I have no clue about the technical details. I use the Guangdong one in shenzhen, the HuNan one when I’m there, and the aliPay one when I’m in shanghai.

But anyway, I’m more concerned about the record at the time of vaccination, not the time of health code app in September. I would much prefer to have a vaccination record formally tied to something digitally or on a database. Not just a fapio with the infamous “chop.” If I’m gonna be in the granddaddy of all surveillance states I at least want it to work for this case.

Even though I’m always amazed at how much power a blurry smudged chop can have in China.
-I should have clarified that there is a good chance that the "native app" exists as a WeChat miniprogram (and, probably standalone as well)
-I would prefer this (bolded text) as well, but I'm not holding my breath
-if I am able to get vax info uploaded to any of my existing health code apps, that won't help me come back here (also in September)
-it would be useful if people who are flying here within the next month or two provided info on their travel health code apps so that we can install them on our phones
Old May 22, 2021, 1:43 am
Suspended

My boss just flew in this week and is in quarantine. He had the Pfizer vaccination in the states, I’ll ask him what he did for the vaccine portion of the green code application.

When I applied in March there was a place at the bottom to answer vaccination status and probably upload a photo of a CDC card if applicable.

I got the green code without vaccination obviously.
Old May 22, 2021, 4:28 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The bolded one will be approved.
Will be - but currently not officially approved right?

Mother did say NHC approving biontech will tip her over to take it, since TGA already approved it. Pls let me know if the approval becomes official.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a government run hospital, so they are kind of obligated to provide receipts (including fapiao) for everything. Saving paper isn't really a priority of theirs.
You’re saying you are going to a government run hospital to receive the BioNtech vaccine that hasn’t been approved for use in China yet? Or am I misunderstanding you and you’re getting the Sinopharm one? I would be shocked if you could get the BioNtech vax in country without it being approved yet. If you do, please post some pictures of the vax they show you before they inject it as I’d be very interested in how this goes down.

As far as the electronic record of the vaccine. I’ve received both doses of the vaccine in China (Sinopharm) and I got the paper with the stamp as expected plus there is an electronic record in the shanghai health app that shows the date and batch number of each dose. I imagine this is same countrywide.

As an aside, they are running bus loads of workers from the industrial parks around my office on a daily basis to get vaccinated. Some bigger apartment complexes are now posting signs at their entrance showing what % of their residents are vaccinated. People are being heavily encouraged to get the vaccine now so I hope this is good news for a somewhat more humane entry/visa policy going forward.
Old May 22, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
You’re saying you are going to a government run hospital to receive the BioNtech vaccine that hasn’t been approved for use in China yet? Or am I misunderstanding you and you’re getting the Sinopharm one? I would be shocked if you could get the BioNtech vax in country without it being approved yet. If you do, please post some pictures of the vax they show you before they inject it as I’d be very interested in how this goes down.

As far as the electronic record of the vaccine. I’ve received both doses of the vaccine in China (Sinopharm) and I got the paper with the stamp as expected plus there is an electronic record in the shanghai health app that shows the date and batch number of each dose. I imagine this is same countrywide.

As an aside, they are running bus loads of workers from the industrial parks around my office on a daily basis to get vaccinated. Some bigger apartment complexes are now posting signs at their entrance showing what % of their residents are vaccinated. People are being heavily encouraged to get the vaccine now so I hope this is good news for a somewhat more humane entry/visa policy going forward.
How is supply? I had an employee in Suzhou who had appointment this week turned back because they ran out. Told him to be patient and go back as soon as he can.
Old May 22, 2021, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
How is supply? I had an employee in Suzhou who had appointment this week turned back because they ran out. Told him to be patient and go back as soon as he can.
Ive had the same thing happen to employees as well. Namely going to get their second dose and being told that the only shot available that day is Sinovac and their first dose was Sinopharm so they need to come back in a few weeks when Sinopharm is in stock again. This being China I don’t expect these supply problems to last very long and I expect everyone will be vaxed by end of summer.
Old May 22, 2021, 11:26 pm
Suspended

It would be especially interesting/logical if they got Tier 1 international arrival cities to a sufficient vaccination level that they could allow international vaccinated arrivals to just be “quarantined” for 14-21 days by remaining in the city limits but not confined to a hotel room. What a dream.
Old May 23, 2021, 2:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
My boss just flew in this week and is in quarantine. He had the Pfizer vaccination in the states, I’ll ask him what he did for the vaccine portion of the green code application.

When I applied in March there was a place at the bottom to answer vaccination status and probably upload a photo of a CDC card if applicable.

I got the green code without vaccination obviously.
He said he tested positive for the IgM antibody due to the vaccine, and other than that it made no difference. You can upload the vaccine record as a Jpeg image but they didn’t seem to really care.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Some interesting articles here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oses-isolation
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ff-drawing-ire

TLDR
  • 20m doses/day
  • More than 660m doses administrated
  • Hong Kong is allowing senior executives who have been vaccinated to skip quarantine when traveling to the city
  • Zhong Nanshan, a top adviser on China’s Covid response, said last month that 72.9% of the population needs to be vaccinated for China to reach herd immunity.
  • But that estimation is typically based on vaccine efficacy rates of 80%, which only one of the six shots China is currently administering achieved in clinical trials, and could be one reason China is reluctant to ease other restrictions.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan
China Is Vaccinating Almost 14 Million People a Day Amid Flareup - Bloomberg
Weirdly the official website says different things in English and Chinese, perhaps the 14 million quoted number here is 406.938m - 392.9m.

Let's say the population of China is about 1.4 billion people and the target is 70% of people vaccinated which is a total of 980m people. That would require about 1.96b doses as most Chinese vaccines are two dose (the above numbers in the articles are # of doses, so multiply that by two for population coverage. Let's say about 200m people are fully vaccinated right now (400m / 2).

At the current rate (7m people/day), that gives us (980m-200m)/7 = 111 days or 5 September 2021.

If they can accelerate vaccine production to 10m people/day, that gets us to 78 days or 3 August 2021.

If they can accelerate vaccine production to 15m people/day, that gets us to 52 days or 8 July 2021.

Updating the numbers based on the above:

72.9% of 1.4b is 1.02b people
There's a new 3 shot vaccine, but there's also a 1 shot vaccine, so let's call it even and assume everything is 2 shot
Required doses is 2.04b

About 330m people are fully vaccinated right now (660m / 2)

At the current rate (10m people/day), that gives us (1020m-330m)/10 = 69 days or 10 August 2021.

If they can accelerate vaccine production to 15m people/day, that gets us to 46 days or 18 July 2021.

If they can accelerate vaccine production to 20m people/day, that gets us to 35 days or 6 July 2021.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are definitely making a push for everyone to get vaccinated. But I just can't see them opening up this year even if they have 90% of the population vaccinated by September. All the moves have been in the wrong direction recently. More Covid tests for internal travel, increase in quarantine times by one or two weeks, etc. etc. I hope I'm wrong but I think they are going to be extra cautious because they managed to scare their population about Covid so thoroughly last year, they can't risk case spikes.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:14 pm

I just hope it becomes easier for two populations:
  • Chinese citizens living outside of China where it's annoying to enter China and annoying to come back (in the case of living in the US)
  • Business travelers, people wanting to work/study in China
Don't think anyone cares about leisure tourism at this point
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gudugan
I just hope it becomes easier for two populations:
  • Chinese citizens living outside of China where it's annoying to enter China and annoying to come back (in the case of living in the US)
  • Business travelers, people wanting to work/study in China
Don't think anyone cares about leisure tourism at this point
There are also those of us who have family in China.
gudugan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.