Current China Entry policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
People are melting down mentally over a few covid cases in Guangzhou and in Shenzhen near the border of HK. The level of fear, lockdown, and overall attitude about this is pretty troubling for the timeline of the border ever opening again.
The second most populous state in Australia has been in lockdown for almost two weeks due to a similar outbreak.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
All of us in Shenzhen are being rounded up for covid testing in the streets now. Seems like my only chance at being in a place that shuts up about covid is going back to Florida.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:05 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
All of us in Shenzhen are being rounded up for covid testing in the streets now. Seems like my only chance at being in a place that shuts up about covid is going back to Florida.
Any exemptions for vaccinated (+14 days) persons?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Not that I’m aware of. I don’t believe there’s any segregation by vaccination status in China yet.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Absolutely no difference in treatment between vaccinated and unvaccinated in China. This stuff is gonna go on for at least another year. I think I’m gonna give up my career here and head back before the end of the year. Not worth it being locked into a country when others are opening back up.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Absolutely no difference in treatment between vaccinated and unvaccinated in China. This stuff is gonna go on for at least another year. I think I’m gonna give up my career here and head back before the end of the year. Not worth it being locked into a country when others are opening back up.
I'm starting to agree. I had serious plans of moving to China since I created this account (Jan 2020) and then it wasn't possible anymore.

At this point, I'm not willing to quarantine anywhere*, test or another vaccine is fine. But who knows if I will have to wait 2 months (per post #612) or 2 years.

* This has nothing to do with China. Argentina, Chile, and Colombia are all wonderful places but since they have a quarantine I won't go there either.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:38 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by gudugan
* This has nothing to do with China. Argentina, Chile, and Colombia are all wonderful places but since they have a quarantine I won't go there either.
Australia also - both with its biosecurity and also its recent expatriate tax policies*. This pandemic surely makes for a far more larger, intolerant and parochial world

*aggressive tax policy driven by a need to raise revenue to fund job assistance programs.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:48 pm
Suspended

China was an exceptional place to be from about August 2020 to now, compared to the rest of the world. But now, the US is looking like the spot to be as it’s opening up.

China is going to be in this current state of affairs for quite a while.

Between that and the heavy US taxes coming down the pipeline it’s time to think harder about whether it’s worthwhile.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:21 pm

Between that and the heavy US taxes coming down the pipeline it’s time to think harder about whether it’s worthwhile.
Heavy taxes are coming wherever you are in the world. Someone's gotta pay for all this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tauphi
Heavy taxes are coming wherever you are in the world. Someone's gotta pay for all this.
Sorry I should have clarified- ditching the high pay double taxed expat job and retiring early or just simplifying. The effort vs personal benefit equation. Someone indeed does need to pay for all this mess and I’m not convinced I want to be part of it.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I should have clarified- ditching the high pay double taxed expat job and retiring early or just simplifying. The effort vs personal benefit equation. Someone indeed does need to pay for all this mess and I’m not convinced I want to be part of it.
China’s gonna give you a hefty tax rise next year if you’re an expat on a housing allowance or with kids in school paid by your employer. Gonna be a huge bite for lots of expats.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Yeah I am clinging to my tax equalization contract so none of it directly impacts me except for the US and California clownery.

Anyway, looks like I need to start getting an NAT test twice per week in order to board a high speed train. Because of the Guangdong “cases”
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
China’s gonna give you a hefty tax rise next year if you’re an expat on a housing allowance or with kids in school paid by your employer. Gonna be a huge bite for lots of expats.
The tax changes mean your allowances will be taxed at your marginal rate (probably 35% or 45% for most foreigners with decent jobs) along with the effective sealing of the border with no end in sight, is why I declined a new four-year contract in Shenzhen in March. It's very difficult to see what steps can and will be taken to improve the easing of border controls into and out of China for the foreseeable future. It's a shame because on many levels you can have a decent life in Shenzhen but right now it's like an open prison.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:54 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
Not the same context, but being vaccinated and entering China may even hurt you.

From the New York Times on June 10th:

A German national who flew into Shanghai last month said that he had been sent to a hospital isolation room for three days because he tested positive for antibodies, which he attributed to taking a second vaccine dose 16 days earlier.

Furthermore:

Nurses took his blood twice a day and performed six throat swabs, four nasal swabs and two anal swabs daily, said
the German, who insisted on anonymity to avoid offending the authorities. The hospital room had no towels, no toilet paper and no television, and the bed was a steel plate with a thin mat, he said.

I share GloballyServiced 's pessimism on China opening up soon.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:28 am
Suspended

That sounds like a tall tale because they don’t test for antibodies on arrival. Only pre departure before you get your green code clearance approval. And my boss just flew in a few weeks ago after testing positive for antibodies on the pre departure testing and selecting “yes” for vaccinated was sufficient for green code.

So it doesn’t make sense there would be any antibody surprises at arrival.

But with China you never know I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.