Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old Jun 22, 21, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I know that AA, DL, MU, and UA all fly from PVG. I went with AA and bought a hotel in DFW for the overnight layover. I don't know about CAN and PEK options.
Only students are allowed to board the AA flight via DFW and this has been the case since the start of 2021.

What can I do after AA lied to me twice? (Denied intl boarding, refund)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Chinavisa/c...n_code_issues/

Last edited by tauphi; Jun 22, 21 at 12:07 am
Old Jun 22, 21, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
I just booked a “flexible fare” AA from DFW to PVG. I hate the lack of layman transparency but it seems like this ticket can be cancelled and refunded to my original payment at any time.

$2865 for back of the bus economy is not bad for today’s clown world.

Two years ago I was booking round trip business class to Asia for not much more.
Old Jun 22, 21, 12:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
Only students are allowed to board the AA flight via DFW and this has been the case since the start of 2021.

Well I guess I should cancel that flight.
tauphi and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 22, 21, 1:56 am

I think moondog is flying PVG-USA, not the other way around. In that case he'll be fine.

Technically anyone can board the DFW-PVG flight provided they get the special QR code from the Chinese embassy but in practice it seems it's almost impossible to get unless you're a Chinese student. The QR code is basically used to filter out anyone they don't want traveling to China no matter visa status or citizenship. Extremely harsh and unfair for many, but they couldn't care less.
tauphi and Cryofern like this.

Last edited by travelinmanS; Jun 22, 21 at 2:01 am
Old Jun 22, 21, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
I think moondog is flying PVG-USA, not the other way around. In that case he'll be fine.
Yes of course. Going from PVG to DFW is not an issue. But I thought moondog is buying a return ticket, perhaps I'm misreading him.
Old Jun 22, 21, 2:56 am
Suspended

I had trouble with getting green code from SFO but not out of LAX. The problem is the flight from LAX is about $8k for China southern to CAN and $3200 for Xiamen. I have never been to Xiamen but I guess I’ll be giving it a whirl in September.
Old Jun 22, 21, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes of course. Going from PVG to DFW is not an issue. But I thought moondog is buying a return ticket, perhaps I'm misreading him.
I bought a oneway ticket because I don't have a fixed return date, and I'm hoping there will be more options when I decide to come back. For those put off by high prices, UA 857/858 has great award availability most days, but my gut tells me that prices will drop after the entry rules relax a little bit; it's surely costly for airlines to sell tickets on flights that they might not operate and/or to customers who might not be permitted to travel. Replacing the travel health code system with a simple PCR test doesn't seem to be too much to ask for.
tauphi likes this.
Old Jun 22, 21, 6:43 am
Suspended

I have a United award economy ticket for the SFO-PVG and it’s 225k. Most of the economy inventory is 250k.

Before covid you could buy a Polaris ticket for about 120k.

Getting out of China is simple but getting into China is expensive and physically/mentally painful.
Old Jun 22, 21, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced View Post
I have a United award economy ticket for the SFO-PVG and its 225k. Most of the economy inventory is 250k.

Before covid you could buy a Polaris ticket for about 120k.

Getting out of China is simple but getting into China is expensive and physically/mentally painful.
Because getting out of China is so easy, I assumed the eastbound flights would be more fully booked. So, while I only searched PVG-SFO, I figured the reverse direction would be a cakewalk. Lots of people simply don't want to come here because of the quarantine and other hassles, but many of us do want to spend our summer in other countries.
Old Jun 22, 21, 8:22 am
Suspended

Yeah the airfare rates suggest major operational costs or major demand to get into China, versus the highly restricted supply. LAX-CAN doesn’t have a single economy class seat available until October.

United economy is $6k+ one way.
Old Jun 22, 21, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah the airfare rates suggest major operational costs or major demand to get into China, versus the highly restricted supply. LAX-CAN doesnt have a single economy class seat available until October.

Isn't CAN-LAX their flagship route? If it's sold out through October, perhaps they should consider running it more than 2 days per week.
Old Jun 22, 21, 8:54 am
Suspended

That would require the Chinese government allowing it. Again we are talking about getting into China, which is LAX-CAN
Old Jun 22, 21, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Yeah the airfare rates suggest major operational costs or major demand to get into China, versus the highly restricted supply. LAX-CAN doesnt have a single economy class seat available until October.

On certain days, the United economy cabins are not even available or in the price range of close to $10K in economy. This is the SFO-PVG one-way fare, but the reverse seems a lot more reasonable.
Old Jun 22, 21, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Because getting out of China is so easy, I assumed the eastbound flights would be more fully booked. So, while I only searched PVG-SFO, I figured the reverse direction would be a cakewalk. Lots of people simply don't want to come here because of the quarantine and other hassles, but many of us do want to spend our summer in other countries.
You are vastly overestimating the number of people who want to leave China and vastly underestimating the number who want to enter China. Flights from China are empty, flights to China are 100% booked thanks to the government policy limiting flights. The situation will stay the same until the government policy changes.

I also think you are taking quite a risk by leaving and planning to come back in based on what I know about your current situation. Its not as easy as you think its gonna be to get the QR code approved. Id definitely try and apply for pre approval before you leave China.
Old Jun 22, 21, 11:37 am

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-t...ar-11624361777

According to WSJ, there'll be no reopening until at least late 2022

China wants the 2022 Winter Olympics (February) and the 20th CCP Congress (October, where Xi is expected to seek a 3rd term as general secretary, the most of any leader since Mao) to conclude before risking further opening.

Also, this:

Earlier this month, Feng Zijian, the former deputy head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said at a conference that the timing of any shift from a zero Covid-19 strategy to one with more open borders would largely depend on a high vaccination rate and a consensus about whether some deaths are acceptable to the broader society.
Given the mutual animosity between China and the West right now, I don't think there'll be much political appetite to risk Chinese deaths so Westerners can get in and out more easily.
tauphi likes this.

Search this Thread