Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gudugan
I agree that this seems to be the general idea.

If true, though, the “72.9% vaccinated to hit herd immunity” is meaningless. Really it’s a question of “What percentage of people without a vaccine are we ok with having the potential to get seriously ill from Covid?” Obviously vaccine distribution only gets harder once the big cities are covered.

If US and EU reopening goes smoothly, this will put the most pressure on reopening. Don’t think any other factor matters
If that 72.9% was evenly distributed (and is an accurate estimate), I would disagree with you because if R0 falls below 1, the virus should disappear. However, since the regional distribution presumably has a high standard deviation, I'm inclined to agree because we are still permitted to roam freely here (with some exceptions like Shenzhen). Of course, China could take all sorts of steps to effectively make vaccinations mandatory. That Y100/dose price tag might be cost prohibitive in poorer areas though (e.g. if the choice between visiting a fancy shopping all and feeding your family, many would opt for the latter).
Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
If that 72.9% was evenly distributed (and is an accurate estimate), I would disagree with you because if R0 falls below 1, the virus should disappear. However, since the regional distribution presumably has a high standard deviation, I'm inclined to agree because we are still permitted to roam freely here (with some exceptions like Shenzhen). Of course, China could take all sorts of steps to effectively make vaccinations mandatory. That Y100/dose price tag might be cost prohibitive in poorer areas though (e.g. if the choice between visiting a fancy shopping all and feeding your family, many would opt for the latter).
AFAIK the 100rmb/jab price is the foreigner price. Chinese citizens get it for free.

And I continue to stand by my prediction of nothing opening up for at least a year if not more.
tauphi likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
AFAIK the 100rmb/jab price is the foreigner price. Chinese citizens get it for free.

And I continue to stand by my prediction of nothing opening up for at least a year if not more.
I suppose that makes sense; we can afford it, and they don't really seem to want us here anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
People are really having meltdowns in Guangdong now. Constantly talking about which area is “safe”

Is there any reason to believe I should get a Chinese vaccine before leaving back to the states in August? I’ll be applying for HDC to return to China again at the end of august or early Sep.

And is there any kind of working list of approved flights into China? Trying to strategize a bit but it’s difficult to know which cities are even a possibility to depart from.

Last edited by GloballyServiced; Jun 21, 2021 at 3:00 am
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
People are really having meltdowns in Guangdong now. Constantly talking about which area is “safe”

Is there any reason to believe I should get a Chinese vaccine before leaving back to the states in August? I’ll be applying for HDC to return to China again at the end of august or early Sep.

And is there any kind of working list of approved flights into China? Trying to strategize a bit but it’s difficult to know which cities are even a possibility to depart from.
I know that AA, DL, MU, and UA all fly from PVG. I went with AA and bought a hotel in DFW for the overnight layover. I don't know about CAN and PEK options.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was strangely hard to find a current list of allowed China/USA flights. After trying a few search engines I got this from Baidu. Hope you can read Chinese.

uanj likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:55 am

It was strangely hard to find a current list of allowed China/USA flights. After trying a few search engines I got this from Baidu. Hope you can read Chinese.

The MU flights seem to get axed a lot and so does DL's DTW. I'm feeling good about my AA choice because they are just now reentering the market so they should be able to bleed money for several months.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
HK giving preferential treatment to vaccinated people, shorter quarantine (7 days), reduced social distancing

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...ys-2021-06-21/
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
HK giving preferential treatment to vaccinated people, shorter quarantine (7 days), reduced social distancing

That's Hong Kong (antibody tests), not PRC https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post33344367
- Antibody testing is not even applicable to visitors to Hong Kong from PRC
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
......and they don't really seem to want us here anyway.
I agree with the two above statements, and wondering if I should start exiting plan as an expat.

I think getting one of the two Chinese vaccines increases your chance of getting approval to return to China. It has happened to my friends and colleagues who were rejected previously (before leaving China), but received approval to return after taking the Chinese vaccines (before leaving for the US). They applied for approval to return to China at PRC consulate in SF (where UA operates its direct flight SFO-PVG) before leaving China to ensure they could return after home trips to the US.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Man that schedule is rough! I would hate to be booked on one of those once a week flights and miss it.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Man that schedule is rough! I would hate to be booked on one of those once a week flights and miss it.
-One of our members in this forum booked MU to LAX, and they offered him JFK instead (that might have been cool if his destination wasn't Los Angeles).
-I put a DL ticket on hold via DTW (nice connection), and they switched me to SEA...with a 6 hour layover before a red eye to BOS...no thanks
-MU via JFK was actually my first choice, but they were coming in 2x as much as other options
-before AA relaunched DFW (I don't think it's actually started yet), they were coming in lowest on search engines via HKG, LAX, and DFW (with 12 hours in HKG)
-I considered UA 858, but it was a morning departure when I was looking, plus a long layover in SFO
-JL would have been nice (nonstop NRT-BOS), but when I searched, there were NO flights between SHA/PVG and NRT (I would have needed to go to DLC and FUK to pull that off)
-I looked at KE via ICN (also nonstop BOS flight), they weren't even selling that routing

I'm happy with my AA choice. I booked an afternoon flight the next day so I can enjoy a morning swim at the DFW GH, and have a decent lunch. I'll let you guys know how it pans out.
uanj likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:49 am

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-19-quarantine

Well, we can dream that HK pushes the PRC government to accept people...
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

72.9% won't do it against the Delta variant.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:00 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oses-isolation

TLDR
  • Zhong Nanshan, a top adviser on China’s Covid response, said last month that 72.9% of the population needs to be vaccinated for China to reach herd immunity.
  • But that estimation is typically based on vaccine efficacy rates of 80%, which only one of the six shots China is currently administering achieved in clinical trials, and could be one reason China is reluctant to ease other restrictions.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
72.9% won't do it against the Delta variant.
The 72.9% number comes from here, I didn't make it up.
Obviously we all know the number is symbolically meaningless and they are going to do whatever they want to do. This is why I don't really bother with discussions of vaccine efficacy etc in China, there is also a better forum for that https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.