Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by imackie
Any thoughts on best Chinese airlines for GZ based? Most frequent travel will be to BJ

Currently UA 1k (through Jan 2024), Delta Gold (through Jan 2023). With restricted borders flying will be mostly domestic. With unrestricted borders 2-3 TPAC flights per year..

Q hotel was randomly assigned, very lucky. Suite was available for 30% higher price
This may be the wrong forum for this (you may want to post in "other Asia and African programs" but in Guangzhou, the dominant carrier is CZ (China Southern). Heck, they fly (flew?) A380s between Guangzhou and Beijing! However, because they left Skyteam in 2020, I'm not sure what the best choice for you is. Probably best to ask in the other forum.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

imackie should credit CZ to CZ if he flies a lot or AA if he doesn't. The "other" forum receives even less action than this one.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:30 am

Has anyone been following the current guidelines as far as vaccines required for re entry to China? Just noticing that some countries require “up to date” meaning a booster within 6-9 months. If you’ve gotten a local vaccine should you be getting a booster before you leave, to have the vaccine documents?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by joesk
Has anyone been following the current guidelines as far as vaccines required for re entry to China? Just noticing that some countries require “up to date” meaning a booster within 6-9 months. If you’ve gotten a local vaccine should you be getting a booster before you leave, to have the vaccine documents?
I have never heard any chatter about China requiring vaccinations as a condition for entry.
YariGuy, joesk and narvik like this.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 6, 2022 at 9:39 am
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joesk
They don't care if you've had the vaccines or not. They only care that you aren't carrying the lethal Covid virus.
moondog and joesk like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by GinFizz
As moondog notes, this is absolutely fine. In the past I have credited all my domestic Air China flights to SAS (SK) without any issues whatsoever.

I suggest to download the Air China app and then 48 hrs before your flight you can try and check-in using your passport number, flight number and name. The name part might trip up the system - it will need to be the same as used for the booking (e.g. LAST FIRST, or FIRST LAST, or LAST MIDDLE FIRST, etc.). Definitely all capitals needed. Spaces seem to work fine these days (many years ago we had to use LAST/FIRSTMR (as an example) to get things to work). If you can find your flight that way you should be able to add your FF number. And if not just showing your card (or the FF number - help them by adding the "UA" part) at check-in should be absolutely fine.

Welcome also to China! Where is your final destination?
As a follow up, no problem adding the UA number at Air China check in counter.
uanj, joesk and GinFizz like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:07 am

Hong Kong to end mandatory hotel quarantine for arrivals from Monday
Hong Kong will end its mandatory hotel quarantine for arrivals from Monday, requiring people flying in to only monitor themselves for potential Covid-19 infections for three days.
The long-awaited lifting of quarantine signals an end to one of the world’s toughest anti-pandemic regimes after more than 2½ years of attempting to keep the coronavirus at bay.
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Unfortunately, it will have no effect on the change of policy in China.
So, Hong Kong beats Japan, who is yet to announce the new entry requirements.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems the place where it all began will be the last to emerge from Covid 19. Congratulations to Chairman Xi and team for destroying your economy, the mental health of hundreds of millions and the image of China in the world. 习主席万岁!
ExpatExp and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
What's this post doing in this thread?

-cough-
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:51 pm

Ending hotel quarantine in HK makes entry into the mainland that much easier. Seemed an obvious fit.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
Ending hotel quarantine in HK makes entry into the mainland that much easier. Seemed an obvious fit.
Can you elaborate why it will be easier? Traveling to Mainland from HK still highly restricted.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Can you elaborate why it will be easier? Traveling to Mainland from HK still highly restricted.
You didn't ask me, and I'm not sure if it's possible to immediately leave HK upon arrival (or if you need to spend the 3 days there to get PCR tests), but if it is, I can't imagine that it's a substantially more challenging gateway than Korea. Flights from both places to China do exist at semi-reasonable prices; you just can't be too picky about where in China. HK has the added benefit of land borders. I realize the quotas are quite low, but if you know the right people, maybe it's possible to score a slot.

As I've mentioned in this thread and/or one of its counterparts, I'm still intrigued by the Macau option because they let you select your own quarantine hotel, and some of them are actually nice, but I don't know anyone who has actually tried the new system. It could also be a little expensive (e.g. maybe $1500 for the hotel and PCR tests, compared with about half that on the mainland, but if the hotels are nice, it might be worth it).

In any event, Korea still remains my first choice for January. The calculus may well change significantly between now and then.
joesk likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by moondog
You didn't ask me, and I'm not sure if it's possible to immediately leave HK upon arrival (or if you need to spend the 3 days there to get PCR tests), but if it is, I can't imagine that it's a substantially more challenging gateway than Korea. Flights from both places to China do exist at semi-reasonable prices; you just can't be too picky about where in China. HK has the added benefit of land borders. I realize the quotas are quite low, but if you know the right people, maybe it's possible to score a slot.

As I've mentioned in this thread and/or one of its counterparts, I'm still intrigued by the Macau option because they let you select your own quarantine hotel, and some of them are actually nice, but I don't know anyone who has actually tried the new system. It could also be a little expensive (e.g. maybe $1500 for the hotel and PCR tests, compared with about half that on the mainland, but if the hotels are nice, it might be worth it).

In any event, Korea still remains my first choice for January. The calculus may well change significantly between now and then.
For HK you still have to wait until your code turns blue on the morning of your third day, but in the meantime you aren't confined to a quarantine hotel which is a vast improvement. The pre-flight test for the flight into HK can now be a rapid antigen test instead of a PCR, which is cheaper as well.

Macau is a viable option because once you finish your quarantine you can travel to the mainland as normal, no extra isolation required. So having a choice of hotel makes the 7-day quarantine and 3-day monitoring period more comfortable. There are only two quarantine hotels available (Lisboeta, Regency Art Hotel), and both comparable in cost at a minimum 100-120 USD per night including meals. The Broadway Hotel will be the only option for yellow code holders after Oct 31, and runs about $50/night without meals.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
​​​​​​​Less time spent in HK if you're only there to transit, less total quarantine time, lower cost since you can choose any hotel for your three amber code days.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:50 pm

But isn't it up to the hotel whether they take amber-code guests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.