Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old Jan 15, 22, 12:34 am
  #1201  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,172
Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
So how do you get those required Covid tests if you can't leave your room during the +7 period?
They should let you go get those tests. Honestly, if they make you stay in the room the whole time, why bother switching hotels? Just stay at the quarantine hotel another week, if that allowed. Im pretty sure this is what the policy is moving towards anyhow.
travelinmanS is online now  
Old Jan 15, 22, 1:49 am
  #1202  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 5,575
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
This pattern actually makes it easier to predict suspensions :-)

Once your flight has 5+ cases, pax booked on the same flight two weeks later should be worried.
This pattern means that once you get to 27 days before your flight, if your flight isn't suspended, then you should deliberately infect 6 people with SARS-CoV-2 and then put them on the flight 3 weeks before yours. Then, yours is guaranteed to go. If it's 6 weeks before your flight and that flight isn't suspended, then you can repeat the same pattern, which makes the 3 weeks prior flight guaranteed to go and guarantees that you'll have an opportunity to plant 6 more people on it, etc. You can prove by mathematical induction that you can make it where your flight is guaranteed to go by planting at least 6 infected people on the flights 3, 6, 9, 12, etc., weeks before your flight.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by STS-134; Jan 15, 22 at 9:54 am
STS-134 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 22, 2:09 am
  #1203  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: BOS, PVG
Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 9,597
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Having difficulties finding a +7 hotel in Shanghai after my current 14-day isolated quarantine ends.

The hotels I stayed the previously have all changed policy not accepting +7 stay.
Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Not a surprise based upon what happened this past week where a woman in the +7 period roamed around Jing'An leading to a few positive cases. My money is on the +7 being changed to either a strict community monitoring in your own apartment or just an extra week at the quarantine hotel if you don't have a place in Shanghai.
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Unfortunately it appears to be a matter of the remaining available hotels being mostly 'booked out', i.e. they limit the amount of people doing +7 quarantine at each hotel (used to be 30/hotel I think, maybe even less?).
Just checked with the hotel I stayed at back in November 2021, and they're now booked out until March.

Had friend call, and this hotel is okay to book RIGHT NOW (see *):
****HOTEL INFO SENT VIA PM***

NOTE *:
IIRC, your last day of quarantine is going to be EXACTLY on CNY and all hotels will be booked out!!!
Also: it's NOT the same as before; you are now required to STAY IN YOUR ROOM the whole time, but can order food from outside. NO HOTEL RESTAURANT visits are allowed, no going outside.

Hope you see this SOON, as this availability might be gone even as fast as later on today.....
Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
They should let you go get those tests. Honestly, if they make you stay in the room the whole time, why bother switching hotels? Just stay at the quarantine hotel another week, if that allowed. I’m pretty sure this is what the policy is moving towards anyhow.
I am totally lost here by China's 14+7 policy.

1) If there is a possibility to infect others after 14 day quarantine, why allow you to move to another hotel? Or. why even allow you to return to your hometown with exposure to the public (by train, plane etc)?

2) So the only sensible thing to do is to put you in quarantine hotel for 21 days. But here is my issue. Almost all COVID infections show symptoms after 4-5 days. Very, very rare case it exceeds 14 days. I feel that recent positive case in Shanghai got infected in quarantine. Not in USA.

Only in China you hear cases after 14, 21 or even 35 days........ Chinese officials and Chinese people want to blame someone. This is beyond absurd.
uanj, Loren Pechtel and gudugan like this.
kb1992 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 22, 2:42 am
  #1204  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Posts: 4,866
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
I am totally lost here by China's 14+7 policy.

Is it possible that the hotels themselves are exaggerating the requirements, i.e. not an actual gov. policy?
Hotel: "We'll let you stay, but you better stick to your room, and not use our facilities!"
narvik is offline  
Old Jan 16, 22, 10:09 pm
  #1205  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London
Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
I am totally lost here by China's 14+7 policy.

1) If there is a possibility to infect others after 14 day quarantine, why allow you to move to another hotel?
It is quite literally the rule. Mine was even more ridiculous. I completed 14 days quarantine in Xi'an, then flew on to Shenzhen. I was on a domestic flight, no separation, bus gated to the airport and left. I was free to go in shops at the airport, before reporting to a hotel to be 'locked up' again for seven further days - after getting a taxi from Shenzhen Airport to the quarantine hotel. Entire time I had a green health code for both Xi'an and Shenzhen.
narvik and gudugan like this.
ScienceTeacher is online now  
Old Jan 16, 22, 10:10 pm
  #1206  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Posts: 4,866
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
Entire time I had a green health code for both Xi'an and Shenzhen.
Well, I had a GREEN HEALTH code the WHOLE time, even during initial quarantine!
narvik is offline  
Old Jan 16, 22, 10:34 pm
  #1207  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 889
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
Only in China you hear cases after 14, 21 or even 35 days........ Chinese officials and Chinese people want to blame someone. This is beyond absurd.
Yes, if someone gets COVID in China, it is their fault, and then it bubbles up to be the fault of the relevant government official.

Since Beijing (the city) already has an omicron case and tons of athletes will be flying in without quarantine its a matter of time until something gives.
gudugan is online now  
Old Jan 17, 22, 12:24 am
  #1208  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Posts: 11,724
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Unfortunately it appears to be a matter of the remaining available hotels being mostly 'booked out', i.e. they limit the amount of people doing +7 quarantine at each hotel (used to be 30/hotel I think, maybe even less?).
Just checked with the hotel I stayed at back in November 2021, and they're now booked out until March.

Had friend call, and this hotel is okay to book RIGHT NOW (see *):
****HOTEL INFO SENT VIA PM***

NOTE *:
IIRC, your last day of quarantine is going to be EXACTLY on CNY and all hotels will be booked out!!!
Also: it's NOT the same as before; you are now required to STAY IN YOUR ROOM the whole time, but can order food from outside. NO HOTEL RESTAURANT visits are allowed, no going outside.

Hope you see this SOON, as this availability might be gone even as fast as later on today.....
Thank you narvik!

The quarantine hotels internet was down the last couple of days and I just saw your PM as well.

I managed to get a +7 hotel near the HongQiao airport CBD area. Called and confirmed.

I am told to stay in the room other than going out to do PCR tests.
uanj and narvik like this.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 22, 12:28 am
  #1209  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Posts: 11,724
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Well, I had a GREEN HEALTH code the WHOLE time, even during initial quarantine!
I am told that the code will remain yellow until the end of the 21 -day. Apparently they fixed the problems and now it will only turn green at the end of 21 days and only after both Covid tests (taken during the +7 days) show negative.

I will see if that is indeed the change after I clear my 14-day and 21-day.

My code was green for a few days when I arrived in China earlier last week but it turned red a couple of days ago.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 22, 12:31 am
  #1210  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Beijing
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by gudugan View Post
Since Beijing (the city) already has an omicron case and tons of athletes will be flying in without quarantine its a matter of time until something gives.
Athletes and any other Olympics personnel are entering a bubble. It's possible something slips through the cracks as has happened with airplane cleaning staff in other local outbreaks but it's not like they're going to be roaming all over the city.
Cotton Candy Lobster is offline  
Old Jan 17, 22, 1:23 am
  #1211  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 889
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster View Post
Athletes and any other Olympics personnel are entering a bubble. It's possible something slips through the cracks as has happened with airplane cleaning staff in other local outbreaks but it's not like they're going to be roaming all over the city.
Yes, and cases are still being imported in even with 14 or 21 day quarantine.

The Olympics workers will have to do a similar process before reentering China but still pose a similar, if not much greater, risk vector. There were many cases detected at the Tokyo Olympics.
gudugan is online now  
Old Jan 17, 22, 7:59 am
  #1212  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,172
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
It is quite literally the rule. Mine was even more ridiculous. I completed 14 days quarantine in Xi'an, then flew on to Shenzhen. I was on a domestic flight, no separation, bus gated to the airport and left. I was free to go in shops at the airport, before reporting to a hotel to be 'locked up' again for seven further days - after getting a taxi from Shenzhen Airport to the quarantine hotel. Entire time I had a green health code for both Xi'an and Shenzhen.
This is how someone brought the virus to Guangzhou a few weeks ago I believe. Released from Shanghai, flew to GZ and then tested positive a few days later. The whole thing is getting more and more absurd as Covid becomes more and more transmissible.
travelinmanS is online now  
Old Jan 17, 22, 8:10 am
  #1213  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Posts: 4,866
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster View Post
Athletes and any other Olympics personnel are entering a bubble.
Indeed!
Beijingers are told to STAY IN THEIR CAR if they happen to get into an accident with a vehicle traveling in the reserved "Olympic Travel Lane" until the police turn up and give the 'okay' to leave.
If you get out of the car to investigate the accident yourself, you are destined for 14 days quarantine.
narvik is offline  
Old Jan 17, 22, 8:15 am
  #1214  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Posts: 4,866
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
I am told that the code will remain yellow until the end of the 21 -day. Apparently they fixed the problems and now it will only turn green at the end of 21 days and only after both Covid tests (taken during the +7 days) show negative.

I will see if that is indeed the change after I clear my 14-day and 21-day.

My code was green for a few days when I arrived in China earlier last week but it turned red a couple of days ago.
(bolding mine)
Yeah, that's how I understood it also.
I had some issues in that the code I needed to travel to Beijing only turned GREEN the day after arrival in Beijing!
The code I was referring to that was GREEN the whole time somehow had my old passport number connected to it. I never used that one.
narvik is offline  
Old Jan 17, 22, 8:35 am
  #1215  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,172
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
(bolding mine)
Yeah, that's how I understood it also.
I had some issues in that the code I needed to travel to Beijing only turned GREEN the day after arrival in Beijing!
The code I was referring to that was GREEN the whole time somehow had my old passport number connected to it. I never used that one.
If you have changed your passport and leave and return on a new passport your code doesnt seem to know and it stays green throughout. There are obviously many situations where this could be a bonus.
joesk and narvik like this.
travelinmanS is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread