Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA slowdown / sickout

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Lower paid Americans, especially male ones, tend to be less likely to have stable marital relationships and tend to be more likely to have lower paid spouses even when in stable marital relationships. The TSA workforce is at or near the bottom of the barrel in the federal government workforce so even the ones in ordinarily dual-income households are probably struggling financially in ways that aren’t applicable to most of the FT crowd.

No one forces anyone to work for TSA.
Spiff and STBCypriot like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
This article quotes an email TSOs received from their FSD:
In the email, Elam, the deputy federal security director overseeing Palm Springs, LAX and three other Los Angeles-area airports, acknowledged security staffing worries and warned of "disciplinary action" at Palm Springs airport.

"Management is appreciative and sensitive to the burden the ongoing government shutdown is placing on each one of you," Elam wrote. "You are an essential employee and you are required to report for work to carry out essential duties."

"Due to excessive unscheduled absences recently experienced at PSP (Palm Springs International airport) that has adversely impacted security operations, if you have an unscheduled absence, you will NOT be placed in an intermittent furlough status," Elam added. "Your unauthorized unscheduled absence will be coded by payroll as absent without leave (AWOL). At the conclusion of the government shutdown, an employee's AWOL status may result in progressive disciplinary action."
Link: News10 San Diego - Union says TSA officers are quitting due to the government shutdown, Posted: 6:54 AM, Jan 09, 2019
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The article linked says new screeners can't be trained due to funding issues but just last week TSA claimed training was on-going because it was "mission critical". Does the TSA have any clue at all what is happening?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
The article linked says new screeners can't be trained due to funding issues but just last week TSA claimed training was on-going because it was "mission critical". Does the TSA have any clue at all what is happening?
I think TSA is going to learn that having a bunch of spokespeople may not be such a great idea. One voice even if the news is bad.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD

So, the only private sector employees who will not be paid at all during the shutdown are those who a) work for a company that was issued a stop work order, AND b) work for a company that didn't keep them working on other projects during the shutdown (such as companies who foolishly built their entire customer base on a single client).
Don't forget FFRDCs. Federal facilities, but not civil servants. They don't bill the government, they're allowed to draw directly from the US checking account for authorized charges. Their employees are technically contractors. Good news/bad news is that FFRDCs are usually forward-funded. They're told on a regular basis "You can draw $X amount for Y work." Good news is that money doesn't get shut off right away. Bad news is as soon as that advanced authorization runs out, employees are furloughed. No back-pay for the furlough period since they're not civil servants.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
No one forces anyone to work for TSA.
Well I mean that seems like an universal fact: that no one forces anyone to work their job against their will.

I think it's still very reasonable to sympathize with a large amount of workforce that has been basically demanded to be working without pay.

I mean how would FTers feel if they were told by their managers that they had to work but their pay would be suspended indefinitely....tough situation for everyone...the TSA workers, travelers, etc.

Not to mention TSA agents are probably as glamorized as IRS agents in terms of public respect/admiration...but they are much more publically viewable than the tax collectors.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think TSA is going to learn that having a bunch of spokespeople may not be such a great idea. One voice even if the news is bad.
One of those 'voices' might be the union, which wants to paint a very different picture than HQ does.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Often1
TMany Officers are military veterans and do not have the benefit of long-term employment to build up a rainy day fund.
I think the veteran population would depend on location. We love Florida so there is no shortage here. Veterans, to include former Law Enforcement and Firefighters will tow the line till the end. We have dealt with crappy situations before and will embrace the suck again.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We?

Are the media reports of MIA shutting checkpoints due to a shortage of TSA staffing false?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:55 am

Allegedly, TSA has only one official spokesperson during the shutdown, Michael Bilello. However, as Chollie mentioned, there's TSA and then there is the union, who as usual are at odds with each other.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
It took only 3 minutes this morning getting through pre-check at 6AM in terminal C at DFW.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Allegedly, TSA has only one official spokesperson during the shutdown, Michael Bilello. However, as Chollie mentioned, there's TSA and then there is the union, who as usual are at odds with each other.
Seems I have seen some quotes of FSD's and AFSD's in the news. They may be authorized to speak but sometimes its better, in my opinion, to have one central media outlet. I think this is one of those times for TSA.
gsoltso likes this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 22, 2019 at 7:21 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tsadude1
I think the veteran population would depend on location. We love Florida so there is no shortage here. Veterans, to include former Law Enforcement and Firefighters will tow the line till the end. We have dealt with crappy situations before and will embrace the suck again.
Very true. Here in San Antonio there is a significant retired and veteran military population because of the number of Air Force and Army installations. I don’t have any idea or specific information about how many local TSA employees come from that population but have always assumed TSA would be attractive to retired military looking to supplement their retirement pensions. Ten years ago I did know one of the regional TSA managers who was a retired military police officer and he told me at the time they were looking for and recruiting ex-military.

One question I have for TSAdude if they see this post is what is TSA’s policy on sick leave? OPM leaves it up to the different agencies to set their own policies so not every agency is the same. Generally for Army civil servants you can take up to three consecutive days of paid sick leave without a doctor’s note. Does TSA have a similar policy?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Seems I have seen some quotes of FSD's and AFSD's in the news. They may be authorized to speak but sometimes its better, in my opinion, to have one central media outlet. I think this is one of those times for TSA.
I have mixed feelings IMHO, HQ has demonstrated what seems to be deliberate blindness to what actually takes place in our airports. I pay more attention to a statement from the FSD at my local airport than I do to HQ. That doesn't necessarily mean I trust the FSD of my home airport - I don't - but the information might be more local and relevant than any generalized statement coming out of HQ.

Case in point: current wait times HQ averages them all together - times well in excess of 30 minutes at some airports and lower times at tiny airports that only service a few flights a day. As a pax, I don't want to hear 'average' figures designed to hide problems at major airports - I want the most accurate information I can find. I think the FSD is more likely to be willing to report actual wait times, not 'averaged to look better' times.

The union, of course, has its own spin It wants its own people to look good and management/pax to look bad. If it were more balanced, the union would admit that perhaps the number one disciplinary problem documented at TSA is attendance and tardies. Hardly surprising that a work force that tolerates extremely high rates of tardiness and poor attendance would experience greater rates of sick-outs during a government shutdown.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:12 pm

While this article is about the IRS, it rings true for TSA employees.
“I’m at the point where I cannot afford to go to work,” said Marissa Scott, 31, an IRS customer service representative who is out on hardship leave. Scott lives outside Kansas City, Mo., and drives 98 miles round trip to work each day. “I cannot afford to fill my gas tank.”
In Andover, Mass., more than 100 customer service representatives, electronic filing workers and other IRS employees plan to use the hardship exemption and won’t report to work, said Gary Karibian, chapter president of a local union.“I would say a majority of employees are calling out under hardship,” Karibian said. “I’m getting reports whole teams are requesting out. One person told me, ‘I’m the only one on my team here.’ ”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.f12b639a504c

For the major airports, I would wager a vast majority of TSA employees arrive by public transport. That means on Feb 1 they will be expected to put down $100-$200 cash for a bus or train pass for the month. Most of these folks are commuting for "free" because they bought a January pass in December, when they expected the shutdown to end quickly.

If the shutdown continues until February, I expect to see a big spike in call-outs at airports like Newark, JFK, Logan, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.