Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA slowdown / sickout

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
@cnnbrk: An internal email by a high-ranking TSA official warns employees who don't show up to work unpaid at a California airport will be deemed AWOL and may face disciplinary action
https://cnn.it/2RDQJAD
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: CBP
and their union will shut that down with the quickness, just like ours would.

-CBP Officer, union stewardess

(also gets free parking at his airport, negotiated by the union many years ago)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I asked some of my non government worker friends how long they would be willing to work without getting a paycheck. Most non management levels said about 2 weeks. Managers said they would tolerate it for about a month.

as a teacher, I’d be out the door after missing the first payday. If they want me back, they better start the $ ball rolling.

It amazes me that in this hot labor market, so many people are showing up without pay for a $16 an hour job where you get abused by over entitled ‘private sector’ travelers. The bennies and job security must be really good.

i have 120 sick days built up that I’d start using.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This just furthers the argument for private security.
Spiff and Boggie Dog like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maninblack
and their union will shut that down with the quickness, just like ours would.

-CBP Officer, union stewardess

(also gets free parking at his airport, negotiated by the union many years ago)

Is there a maximum numbers of days out sick before a doctors release is required to return to work.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is there a maximum numbers of days out sick before a doctors release is required to return to work.
I don't know about DHS/TSA but at my Federal agency: Supervisors can require a doctor's note to substantiate sick leave of more than 3 consecutive days - though it's up to the supervisor's discretion (in my experience, typically only if you have a problem employee where you suspect leave abuse). As far as returning to work after having been sick, supervisors can require a doctor's clearance if the employee was seriously injured, had major surgery, or had been gravely ill - things where management wants to be sure the employee is physically able to work safely; or if the employee had been out with some highly contagious and dangerous disease.

I'd guess that DHS/TSA is somewhat similar since I think most agencies start with certain basic guidance from OPM (Office of Personnel Mgmt), tailored to meet agency specific needs, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: CBP
What he said.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An article in USA Today is saying that some screeners are leaving TSA. The comment is from the union so filter that information however you desire.

TSA union: Officers quitting over shutdown, posing threat to passenger safety

Transportation Security Agency officers forced to work without knowing when their next paycheck is coming are no longer just calling in sick. Now, 18 days into the partial government shutdown, some are resigning, according to Hydrick Thomas, who heads the TSA Council on the American Federation of Government Employees.
​​​​​​​There is so much spin going on I'm getting dizzy.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:34 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
How is that not an insult to the folks that are showing up? Am I to infer that the people working are relaxing their standards?
gsoltso likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:43 am

If my math is right, if the shutdown does not end in the next 3 hours, paychecks wouldnt clear until Monday at the earliest.

I think it's reasonable to expect call-outs and resignations to be kicked up a notch very soon.
Spiff, 84fiero, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
If my math is right, if the shutdown does not end in the next 3 hours, paychecks wouldnt clear until Monday at the earliest.

I think it's reasonable to expect call-outs and resignations to be kicked up a notch very soon.
If all the tweets on the TSA twitter site are accurate, it also seems as if screeners have loosened up on SOP, as travelers are reporting "flying" through checkpoints in record time.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
If all the tweets on the TSA twitter site are accurate, it also seems as if screeners have loosened up on SOP, as travelers are reporting "flying" through checkpoints in record time.
January at this time tends to be an off peak time to travel, so lines shouldn't be that bad at this time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 10, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: TSA
An article in USA Today is saying that some screeners are leaving TSA. The comment is from the union so filter that information however you desire.

​​​​​​​There is so much spin going on I'm getting dizzy.
Agreed, the spin is getting out of control. The callouts last week were only showing an increase of 1-2%, this week is probably going to be about the same, maybe 3% or so. We have not had the mass exodus that I keep hearing about at any news source reporting on this.

If the situation endures for an extended period of time, I do anticipate that they will trend upward. At some point, there will be enough people that are simply out of money that it will create a larger impact, but that time is not now.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Agreed, the spin is getting out of control. The callouts last week were only showing an increase of 1-2%, this week is probably going to be about the same, maybe 3% or so. We have not had the mass exodus that I keep hearing about at any news source reporting on this.

If the situation endures for an extended period of time, I do anticipate that they will trend upward. At some point, there will be enough people that are simply out of money that it will create a larger impact, but that time is not now.
Are you referring to your airport or TSA wide in the call out numbers you stated?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: TSA
Are you referring to your airport or TSA wide in the call out numbers you stated?
The nationwide reported numbers. The prediction about increasing numbers applies equally everywhere. If folks can't put gas in the car or ride the Metro, they are not going to be able to work, that is the sad reality some folks face in the not toooooo distant future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.