TSA slowdown / sickout

Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
First of all, I think we all have to consider that the youngest group of TSA clerks were babes-in-arms when the 9-11 terrorist attacks happened. (Yes -- it's almost 20 years already!) So, perhaps the youngest group of TSA clerks do not share their elders' convictions that all of aviation security and the very survival of the country is in their hands. I would assert that this is just another job available for those of Generation Z who do not decide to attend college. So, "sick-outs" and other "protests" are, to them, quite appropriate. In a booming economy with plenty of entry-level jobs out there, the TSA might not be such a desirable choice these days.
But, but, but, TSA is on the front lines of the war on terror!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
But, but, but, TSA is on the front lines of the war on terror!
Come on, let's give full credit here!

TSA is also on the front lines of the War on Drugs, the War on Lots of Currency, the War on Human Trafficking, the War on Fake IDs, the War on Powders and the sometime War on Snacks and War on Some PIes.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 4, 2019 at 5:49 pm
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
From the CNN article linked above:
The mass call outs could inevitably mean air travel is less secure, especially as the shutdown enters its second week with no clear end to the political stalemate in sight.
Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd assert that.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Vidiot
From the CNN article linked above:

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd assert that.
If they are forced to reduce the number of 'random' pax selected for blue-glove handling, then we are all at risk. TSA doesn't do those random invasive body inspections for grins - they are a critical part of our security and if the number of pax handled this way is reduced, it sends a clear message to the bad guys - now is your chance - particularly since it was announced in the news that they may reduce the number of randoms.

At this point, the only way to be sure we're safe after a clueless announcement like that is to double down on the number of pax 'randomly' selected for full body attention. If the lines get long and airports are a mess, so be it. TSA is there for our safety, not our convenience.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this drags on, you can expect to see a great deal more of this, not just at TSA but at other "essential services" across the government.

People with bills to pay will look to other sources and in a vibrant gig economy, signing up to drive for Uber, taking on banquet waiter work at a hotel and so on can generate the cash to pay the bills.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Here is my question. Do TSA screeners get paid sick time? I thought the were hourly employees? So they get paid per shift with PTO??? Taking sick leave seems counter productive perhaps? Sure they might make some money on the side up front but if they are not paid for sick leave then unless they make more on the side they are coming out with less later.

Of course depending on their situation, a bird in the hand may be worth more than two in the bush.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by chollie
If they are forced to reduce the number of 'random' pax selected for blue-glove handling, then we are all at risk. TSA doesn't do those random invasive body inspections for grins - they are a critical part of our security and if the number of pax handled this way is reduced, it sends a clear message to the bad guys - now is your chance - particularly since it was announced in the news that they may reduce the number of randoms.

At this point, the only way to be sure we're safe after a clueless announcement like that is to double down on the number of pax 'randomly' selected for full body attention. If the lines get long and airports are a mess, so be it. TSA is there for our safety, not our convenience.
Not sure what the call-in situation is like at SFO, but flying out of there Thursday morning, the security lines were getting so backed up that every so often people were pulled out of line and went through standard metal detectors instead of the full body scanners FWIW
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another reason why security screening should be contractor operated.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Not sure what the call-in situation is like at SFO, but flying out of there Thursday morning, the security lines were getting so backed up that every so often people were pulled out of line and went through standard metal detectors instead of the full body scanners FWIW
SFO security is staffed by Covenant Aviation Security, so I would guess that they are still getting paid. Does anyone know for sure?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So much for a dedicated, professional workforce. In previous non-funded periods government employees have received all pay due for any work they performed during non-funded days. Calling out sick accomplishes nothing other than making the public more aware of how TSA screeners work. .
Yes, our vaunted, professional cadre of TSA "officers."
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
This statement could as well come from a Fox New analyst.
People havent realized that this security theater at the airports is doing virtually nothing to deter terrorist attacks. Its for show only.
Have a look where the terrorists struck at Atatuerk or Domodedovo airport a couple of years ago - yeah, in the public area before the security checkpoint.
Terrorists will find a way either way.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The question I would ask.
Do passenger have a right to get the mandatory security fee on their ticket refunded ?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:02 am

DHS/TSA is very busy at the TSA twitter site denying that any sick-out at all exists. Not many seem to be accepting the government's denial.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...40tsa&src=typd
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
DHS/TSA is very busy at the TSA twitter site denying that any sick-out at all exists. Not many seem to be accepting the government's denial.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...40tsa&src=typd
Here also:

Homeland Security blasts CNN, says TSA 'sick out' report 'grossly misrepresented' situation at airports

A Department of Homeland Security spokesman lashed out at CNN on Friday, labeling as "fake news" the network's report that hundreds of Transportation Security Administration screeners at the nation’s airports have been staging a "sick out" this week amid the partial government shutdown.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With the shift to the gig economy, I wonder whether some of them are working as Uber/Lyft drivers, dog walkers, etc. to make ends meet until they see their paychecks for the TSA "work" being done. It's obviously too late for the seasonal holiday temporary jobs. It can't be that they fear not ever being paid for the TSA "work" they're doing during this period. [In fact, IIRC during previous government shutdowns even the nonessential furloughed employees were paid for all the time they didn't work, although government contractors can lose out big time.]
Even without the gig economy being out "sick" means no childcare expenses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.