Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: DL: PM, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I'd probably also upload them to a cloud service and not trust that any electronic device (except, perhaps, a phone) will be acceptable. Would too much on the interpretation of an individual "security" official looking at it. E.g., my Kindle is not much bigger than some phablets, and yet I wouldn't count on getting it through.
I'll certainly try uploading everything I can to an online service but experience has taught me that I will not have enough bandwidth even on hotel Wifi along the way to upload everything I might take. The RAW files from my camera are ~75MB each and that adds up pretty fast when you are trying to upload which is always slower than download. I'll just need to make sure I have 2 or 3 copies of everything in multiple different places like the Pelican with the gear, my suitcase, end onboard with me to be sure.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by FL390
What about custom's fees and duty when shipping your own gear back home via Fedex?
I just did a quick check on FedEx and while I'm sure I made an error on the customs fees it came up at close to $650 for me to ship my gear back from Germany
Old May 11, 2017, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you normally use and travel with $20,000 worth of camera equipment, don't you currently have insurance for it?
Old May 11, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donsullivan
While the Pelican case certainly cannot prevent a baggage handler from stealing something, it is a mandatory step simply to protect the camera gear from damage in transit. In my case, I can't just put my camera backpack into checked luggage, it is not designed to protect the gear under those conditions. The backpack would have to go into a TSA locked Pelican case along with my laptop and iPad and other random stuff so it's protected just going through the baggage belts and on and off the planes.
...another industry that will profit from all of this...and the governments who will collect more sales tax dollars.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you normally use and travel with $20,000 worth of camera equipment, don't you currently have insurance for it?
I have it covered under my homeowners insurance but I'm anticipating once it's checked in the hold of the plane that will not cover it. I'm trying to verify that now.

I'm looking for an Inland Marine policy right now. I've typically only travelled domestically with all this gear and only started doing it internationally in the last year. Since it was always in my possession, the risk was always relatively low. The only issue I've had (so far) was self inflicted when I dropped one of the cameras in Tokyo last fall.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earlier in this thread I posited that most leisure travelers could use their mobiles for the snaps and selfies that are prevalent today. That's been my observation.
But like many of the subsequent posts, I too consider photography a vital part of my travel experience. In fact, years ago I supported myself overseas independently selling mounted b+w 8x10 prints to cruisers.
So the question is, what about my good old Nikon F and 4 mechanical lenses? No electronics. Not even a battery (Selinium cell meter).
Old May 11, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rickg523
Earlier in this thread I posited that most leisure travelers could use their mobiles for the snaps and selfies that are prevalent today. That's been my observation.
But like many of the subsequent posts, I too consider photography a vital part of my travel experience. In fact, years ago I supported myself overseas selling mounted b+w 8x10 prints to cruisers.
So the question is, what about my good old Nikon F and 4 mechanical lenses? No electronics. Not even a battery (Selinium cell meter).
You think the security people are going to try to figure out if a camera is eletronic or not? My guess is if it looks like a camera it goes into the hold.

(Sorry, kids, your etch-a-sketch tablets will have to be checked, too)

Besides, I am not going to buy a "new" camera.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: gate lice
If it does happen, EU countries should treat US pax the way the US treats everyone else.

At customs, add a U.S. nationals line that U.S. nationals are forced to use. Just one officer. Make them wait 3 hours to enter. Why not?
Old May 11, 2017, 11:11 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:25 am
Old May 11, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by BSBD
If there truly is a credible threat to air travel from ubiquitous electronic devices, and that threat cannot be easily detected with current technology or screening methods, then it is time to ban air travel.
Air travel is fine. The key is to ban passengers. They are the cause of the problem. If planes flew empty, save for pilots and cabin crew, the skies would be safe for all.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You think the security people are going to try to figure out if a camera is eletronic or not? My guess is if it looks like a camera it goes into the hold.

(Sorry, kids, your etch-a-sketch tablets will have to be checked, too)

Besides, I am not going to buy a "new" camera.
Well they still have that notice about fogging film, so someone must be aware that there is photochem photography.
But yes, I agree the automatons will act as they're programmed to. Wind up monkeys banging a tin drum.
This particular ban on ex-EU won't be the challenge venue in any event. I can speak French, but not well enough to argue fine points of rules with AF.
But I fully expect it to be extended to domestic flights because, like with all security and defense proposals, regardless of the cover a vague threat may provide, behind the curtain grafters can see the profit potential. Think about it. How is a potential laptop bomb that cannot be screened when passed separately at the checkpoint made safer by being buried inside a suitcase. Who's going to take it out? What kind of equipment will be needed to "properly" pass it? And what about a few hundred lith-ion batteries in the hold? Explosion and fireproof containers? Who's selling those?
So when it's extended to every flight, I'm willing to test it. On a meaningless cheap s/h that I don't mind missing.
I could see it as kinda fun to dick around with the drones.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not enough to have an insurance. I own some lenses it took me
years to find. Like a great copy of a Voigtlander 125 Apo-Lanthar -
the best macro lens ever built. Or a few Leica R lenses in the like-new shape.
There is no way to re-purchase those lenses. So I don't really care
for the insurance. It's not gonna change anything if those lenses
are stolen or damaged.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by FL390
What about custom's fees and duty when shipping your own gear back home via Fedex?
A good question. I assume as this is your own gear,
there is no way to be charged. Must be an option as you fill the paperwork.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by donsullivan
I just did a quick check on FedEx and while I'm sure I made an error on the customs fees it came up at close to $650 for me to ship my gear back from Germany
Pick the cheapest method with $20G value. I think it's closer to $300.
But still, it's better than "we don't care" method offered by the airlines.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Pick the cheapest method with $20G value. I think it's closer to $300.
But still, it's better than "we don't care" method offered by the airlines.
Like I said I'm sure i messed up the customs/duty part. Since it is all my own gear, not purchased in country there should be none. I may just need receipts as proof of that which I have. None of my stuff is especially unique and all of it's relatively new or current product so it could all be replaced.

While I'd whine about it I could tolerate $300 or so to ship it back and not worry about it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.