Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Seen today in CVG

Well that is not good
Old May 12, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Note there's no distinction about where from overseas you are arriving, including Canada.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:25 am

That's a pretty vague sign. "A cell phone" - does that mean only 1? I have both a personal and a work cell phone that I travel with. Do I have to choose?
Old May 12, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Note there's no distinction about where from overseas you are arriving, including Canada.
I'll give a cookie to the first person who has to explain to, shall we say, "security personnel," that Hawaii/Alaska/Puerto Rico/New Mexico/whatever is not considered international.

Mike
Old May 12, 2017, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Well that is not good
The sign doesn't refer to a government order, so should we assume that this is a new DL rule?

I don't see any announcement on the DL website.

I can see people scrambling to book DL flights from the USA and partner operated flights to the USA.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Well I've got one trip coming up and a personal one later that I won't carry a notebook for now - getting this: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/compu...tl_85854234917 and just going to put it in the regular check in back. Encrypted notebook - so don't care and everything backed up to corporate dropbox
Old May 12, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Well that is not good
Is Delta going to change their CoC for electronics?
Old May 12, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Skymiles
The only international flight from CVG is DL to Paris.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mywanderlust
The only international flight from CVG is DL to Paris.

Not even Canada or Mexico?
Old May 12, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Not even Canada or Mexico?
I meant the only non-precleared flight if you can get there from Canada. CVG isn't a very big airport.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
CUN and CDG are the only international nonstops to CVG I think, but people also fly to/from CVG to international flights departing other airports, so presumably any such sign would be intended to advise those people as well, not solely international directly to CVG.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Well things are going to get interesting here. The ban is coming it is just a matter of when. The issue that i am hearing is that the US wants just a cell phone allowed and nothing else every thing else in the hold. The EU has apparently informed the US that they are not going to allow the loading of the other devices in the cargo hold, and will remove those items from checked luggage. And what we have now is a stand off.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Endeavor 3699 from Toronto too.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Seen today in CVG

I suspect someone jumped the gun, saw the printed signs come in via UPS, and put them out.

Not a good sign. Pun intended.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I suspect someone jumped the gun, saw the printed signs come in via UPS, and put them out.

Not a good sign. Pun intended.
The sign itself is dated for today, and would have had to be ordered at least a day or two ago (depending on how many DL got printed). Makes me wonder if it's a DL policy in anticipation of a new rule, or if someone at DL knows something the rest of us don't. My gut is with the former.

In any case, add me to the list of people who is prohibited from being separated from my laptop and associated data while in transit due to both our contractual commitments to customers as well as relevant laws around the PII we deal with. We have people in EMEA right now, with direct flights back to the US.

If this goes into effect, their choices will be to cancel flights and find alternate routes back, or to violate a few laws and contractual agreements. If the ban eventually extends to domestic flights, I'm not entirely sure how we'll continue to operate based on the standards our clients expect (and that those laws demand).

This is some horribly thought out nonsense, if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.