Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I travel with two P&S cameras (one is spare). They're a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes.

They're not super-expensive like folks' SLRs, but they are no longer manufactured. I've traveled to seven continents with these little guys and they are the absolute best camera I've ever had. I'm not worried about losing my photos, because I'll remove the SD cards and keep them with me, but I'm going to be upset if some yahoo loses/breaks/steals my cameras, only to find out that they aren't worth anything to anyone except me.

I won't even have the comfort of believing for one second that my sacrifice was for a good cause or that it made anyone one bit safer.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nothlit
Departing for Italy (from BOS via LHR) on May 22, returning June 4. I feel like a pretty average tourist with the following devices: iPhone, iPad, mirrorless camera with 2 lenses, and an external USB battery pack to keep everything charged during long days of sightseeing.
You ARE a typical tourist. Let's face it, many people these days travel with multiple electronic devices, and for good reasons.

(My usual kit: iPhone, iPad Mini, 2 mirrorless camera bodies and 3-4 lenses or two small point-and-shoot cameras if I need to go really light).

I don't see how this policy is tenable for the long run, yet I feel completely powerless in the face of it. I'm not sure that complaining to congress members will help... they tend to defer to the security apparatus on matters like this.
I think that's a big part of the problem. The DHS in many ways is like a carpenter with only a hammer: everything they see is a nail. OF COURSE nothing could be more important than improving security! It never occurs to them that perhaps that's not true. Did they ever stop to think that perhaps the public would prefer to face the very small risk of a laptop bomb going off on a plane in order to enjoy the convenience of being able to travel with their camera and Kindle in the plane cabin? Maybe not every potential security threat needs a response.

What happened in Nice at the Bastille Day celebration was horrible, but in the aftermath I didn't see anyone serious proposing greatly restricting access to trucks, even though that would certainly prevent that particular form of attack from happening again. Ditto pressure cookers and the Boston Marathon bombings. Why can't responses to potential aviation threats be measured and proportionate to the actual danger?
Old May 12, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nothlit
Departing for Italy (from BOS via LHR) on May 22, returning June 4. I feel like a pretty average tourist with the following devices: iPhone, iPad, mirrorless camera with 2 lenses, and an external USB battery pack to keep everything charged during long days of sightseeing.
That seems pretty normal to me. I routinely travel with 2 phones (one work, one personal), an iPad, a Kindle, an Anker charger with cables, noise cancelling headphones and sometimes a battery pack.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
That seems pretty normal to me. I routinely travel with 2 phones (one work, one personal), an iPad, a Kindle, an Anker charger with cables, noise cancelling headphones and sometimes a battery pack.
SIX electronic devices?! You are clearly a terrorist.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:54 pm

Emirates, the Middle East's largest airline, saw its annual profit drop by a whooping 82 percent for its 2016-2017 year. The company in part put blame for the dramatic decrease on the Trump administration's decision to ban laptop use on Middle Eastern flights.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...m_npd_nn_tw_ma
Old May 12, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Why would this apply to Global Entry members? We've been vetted and would not bring unknown electronic devices back with us?
Old May 12, 2017, 4:57 pm

I often travel with a phone, a tablet, a laptop, a camera with multiple batteries, sometimes a second small camera, plus a bunch of chargers, cables and cords. I'd prefer never checking a bag.

Do checked bags get significantly better screening?

Security at some non-US airports seems much better than the TSA.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
Why would this apply to Global Entry members? We've been vetted and would not bring unknown electronic devices back with us?
And we get the lighter security of pre-check in the US.

They'd probably say we could have been subverted.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't know if this article was posted in this thread or another one.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1881L0

Says DHS Secretary John Kelly or some top officials of DHS will go to Brussels next week to talk about this ban, discuss all the issues, before making a final decision.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by richarddd
I often travel with a phone, a tablet, a laptop, a camera with multiple batteries, sometimes a second small camera, plus a bunch of chargers, cables and cords. I'd prefer never checking a bag.

Do checked bags get significantly better screening?

Security at some non-US airports seems much better than the TSA.
Even if I were checking a bag, I would never check any of these items. Not voluntarily.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wco81
I don't know if this article was posted in this thread or another one.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1881L0

Says DHS Secretary John Kelly or some top officials of DHS will go to Brussels next week to talk about this ban, discuss all the issues, before making a final decision.
I hope they fly commercial and check all their stuff into the hold.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Do EU airport people know or even care about GE people?

I guess they could set up separate lines for GE people, after you show them your GE card and they would let you carry on electronics as before?

But that would assume that DHS is tracking the GE people, satisfied with their vetting, willing to give this special treatment.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
Exactly, I am GE. Fully vetted. I want too know as well.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:13 pm
Suspended

There will be Global Entry Gold memberships, which lets you carry on electronics as before, only $500 a year.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Various news agencies are reporting that the TSA is considering expanding the ban to all flights from Europe to the US.

What about those of us that actually need to work on flights? This seems crazy to me. Is there really such a threat that all electronics will have to go be checked? What about the practice of banning Lithium batteries from the hold? How is this all going to work? AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!
You're applying too much logic to the issue. Remember, this is DHS we're talking about.

The rumor is indeed that it's going to be expanded to much more of Europe. There's an aviation security forum next week in Brussels where the topic is going to come up, undoubtedly. Someone also snapped a photo of Delta signage already prepared for the roll-out, from what I understand (I'm assuming it wasn't from one of the already-banned airports, as DL doesn't fly to/from them TMK, as they suspended IST service).

I'm as annoyed by it as you are. I have stuff I cannot check, and FedEx is going to be costly and inconvenient (but no way in heck am I putting $30k in camera gear into the hold--particularly when my commercial photo policy refuses to cover gear in checked bags). And there are tons of lithium batteries in my camera bag...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.