Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf72
I tell you what, if the US goes ahead with this stupid ban, there will be reprisals I think. Countries who previously allowed visa free entry into a country will be demanding US citizens also apply for visa's and attend interviews at their embassy's and to produce bank statements/income tax statements and proof of employment and residency before they allow visa's for american's to visit or enter their country in a tit for tat.
Any type of retaliation will cost the EU money, so I think they are smart enough to think this through. By slowing things down, this demonstrates they are going about this the right way.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well it is also going to affect the US when they fly home. They will not be happy. Hopefully when the DHS speaks to the grown-ups next week this will all blow over (apart from whatever trivial rules they put in place to save face).
Old May 13, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Why should we care about your cute little club? It's not applicable outside your border.
That cute little club most likely has more members that population of your country (assuming that from your home airport).

Last edited by invisible; May 13, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old May 13, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Sometimes you just cannot make the idiocy and lack of thought and forward thinking up.
Sure you can. Perfect example - last year's demonetization in India.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
Or pilots refuse to fly planes with hundreds of batteries in the hold? How about pushback from the pilots?
I would love to see that happen. Pushback from pilots, large businesses (not just the airlines), and (especially) other powerful governments is the only way to get this nonsense stopped. Ordinary citizens just don't have the power to make a significant difference (especially since a significant number of them LIKE security theater and won't protest it).
Old May 13, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
There are other reasons for them to do this anyway.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...mp-effect.html
My self-interest tells me to be fully in support of such initiative - most likely significant decrease of arrivals in US would cause US$ to depreciate - putting more income in my pocket.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by richarddd
I'm not sure fewer foreigners coming to the US or fewer US persons visiting other countries will matter to those who make policy, even if it does hurt the economy. Especially if my only effective vote is to travel within the US but not outside it.
If fewer camera-toting visitors from Europe and/or Asia come to the American southwest, the senators and other congress critters from the fine states of Arizona and Utah might see some upset people back home. When I visit the NPs, every other person seems to be speaking German.

It might be too late for this summer season, though. Plans are made, tickets are booked. Maybe the EU will force airlines to refund tickets due to drastically changed travel conditions.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by invisible
My self-interest tells me to be fully in support of such initiative - most likely significant decrease of arrivals in US would cause US$ to depreciate - putting more income in my pocket.
It won't.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If fewer camera-toting visitors from Europe and/or Asia come to the American southwest, the senators and other congress critters from the fine states of Arizona and Utah might see some upset people back home. When I visit the NPs, every other person seems to be speaking German.
We already have some US cities advertising their friendliness to foreign tourists in an attempt to counteract the policies and image of the current administration. Industries likely to be affected are already protesting.

It seems most citizens who are not frequent flyers are big fans of security theater - anything to keep our skies safe.

How many parts of security theater have been rolled back?

Our main hope at the moment is the EU. I fear the compromise between no large electronics in the cabin and no large lithium in the hold will be no electronics larger than a cell phone on airplanes, period.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by richarddd
It seems most citizens who are not frequent flyers are big fans of security theater - anything to keep our skies safe.

How many parts of security theater have been rolled back?
I agree with the first paragraph.

I think precheck is an example of a rollback. (of course, the way it was implemented was just illustrating how much of security *is* theater)
Old May 13, 2017, 11:42 am

Stealing checked laptops

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Hoping this one turns out to NOT be true:

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/861560644826542081

My biggest worry is theft. At Ezeiza airport in Buenos Aires this year a band of airport employees was discovered stealing, on a regular basis, from checked bags. This sort of thing will only get worse if thieves know that all laptops must be checked.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:09 pm

This is ridiculous. The lost productivity is the least of my worries - not that's it's not also a problem - but the risk of THEFT is the Big One. I travel to do wildlife photography - My $2000 laptop is the cheapest thing I worry about being stolen. I don't own any camera bodies that cost less than $3000 and I have some that are $6000, and I always bring multiple camera bodies for backup.

We can only hope that the business community will make enough noise about this to stop it dead in its tracks. People always complain that big business has too much influence over government but this is a case where they could put that influence to good use!

And who says it's safer in the hold, anyway? Both the Air India bombing and the Lockerbie bombing were by explosives in the hold.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It won't.
Care to elaborate?
Old May 13, 2017, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by inet32
This is ridiculous. The lost productivity is the least of my worries - not that's it's not also a problem - but the risk of THEFT is the Big One. I travel to do wildlife photography - My $2000 laptop is the cheapest thing I worry about being stolen. I don't own any camera bodies that cost less than $3000 and I have some that are $6000, and I always bring multiple camera bodies for backup.

We can only hope that the business community will make enough noise about this to stop it dead in its tracks. People always complain that big business has too much influence over government but this is a case where they could put that influence to good use!

And who says it's safer in the hold, anyway? Both the Air India bombing and the Lockerbie bombing were by explosives in the hold.
How do you carry on all that gear?

Anyways looks like it's mainly the EU airline security people who pushed back, not wanting all those devices with lithium batteries in the cargo hold. They demanded an urgent meeting, which is why the ban didn't go into effect on 5/11/17 as originally rumored.

Now if DHS says the ban for the Middle East hasn't caused problems, you had all those flights from there were devices in their cargo holds, then the EU people may not have a leg to stand on.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From today's Financial Times
https://www.ft.com/content/8f743388-...4-9023f8c0fd2e

Under UN rules, passengers are not allowed spare lithium-ion batteries in the hold after flight safety experts found that when packed tightly together, they can self-ignite and burn. Overheated batteries can also give off fumes and explode on board.
One European aviation official said that moving a laptop into the hold would make “no difference” if a bomb were hidden inside it, adding “cabin luggage is scanned more rigorously than hold luggage — some hold bags are not scanned at all”.
<Deleted>.

Last edited by TWA884; May 14, 2017 at 8:33 am Reason: Going OMNI/PR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.