Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 10:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by camera_pro
Seems we may have more that an electronics issue here. What happens when the bad guys start planting undetectable explosives inside the human body....how are we going to screen for that?
Ban all human passengers on flights?

Even explosives inside the human body are detectable.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Old May 15, 2017, 10:30 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Then how do I manage to get seated aboard an airplane near fellow passengers whose flatulence issues seem to be excessive?
Old May 15, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nrgiii
Is there any good reason trusted travelers could not be exempted from such a ban? I'm talking about a "show your Nexus/GE card, bring on the usual items like you can today" scenario.
Given that there doesn't appear to be a broad standard for trusted traveler programs, why would the EU agree to let US trusted travelers carry stuff on and their own citizens generally wouldn't be allowed?
Old May 15, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems we may have more that an electronics issue here. What happens when the bad guys start planting undetectable explosives inside the human body....how are we going to screen for that? :-)

I wonder too, if the current ban will be only electronics or any item with a void capable of holding explosives. For example, I may not be able to bring my digital camera into the cabin because it is "electronics". How about my Leica M4-P that is devoid of any battery or electronics whatsoever but is a still a camera?
I asked this question before (on one of the threads discussing this subject). Consensus to which I agree is while technically that would be allowable in the cabin, the run of the mill TSO is going to see a camera and a camera is a camera, so into the hold it goes.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Then how do I manage to get seated aboard an airplane near fellow passengers whose flatulence issues seem to be excessive?
The TSA isn't effectively screening for that either. And they haven't banned beans.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:55 am

Seems we may have more that an electronics issue here. What happens when the bad guys start planting undetectable explosives inside the human body....how are we going to screen for that? :-)
That's already happened once, in the form of a rectum bomb: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgic...plosive_device

I think in general that surgery (which is what would be needed to implant a truly effective bomb) is too complicated and expensive for the average terrorist cell to resort to, fortunately. A suitcase bomb or a suicide vest is simpler and more effective.

I wonder too, if the current ban will be only electronics or any item with a void capable of holding explosives. For example, I may not be able to bring my digital camera into the cabin because it is "electronics". How about my Leica M4-P that is devoid of any battery or electronics whatsoever but is a still a camera?
Do you really think the security goons are going to be able to tell a manual film camera from a digital one? Your Leica camera body will go into the hold, where it will probably be stolen.

(That they are even considering extending the ban to cameras at all shows how thoughtless the whole idea is. Has even a single camera bomb in which the camera also remained functional as a camera been reported? And plenty of objects with larger void spaces will remain legal to bring onboard.)

Last edited by artemis; May 15, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
I asked this question before (on one of the threads discussing this subject). Consensus to which I agree is while technically that would be allowable in the cabin, the run of the mill TSO is going to see a camera and a camera is a camera, so into the hold it goes.
That would be my fear - that I am subservient to the whims of whichever TSA agent I encounter :-)
Old May 15, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Given that there doesn't appear to be a broad standard for trusted traveler programs, why would the EU agree to let US trusted travelers carry stuff on and their own citizens generally wouldn't be allowed?
The same reasons the EU would go along with any of this nonsense. Because they like having direct flights from Europe to the US.

Perhaps they would go along if pax who pass the ESTA process were also exempted? I have no idea if the checks done by ESTA are equivalent to the checks to get Nexus/GE. If the ESTA/Nexus/GE checks are not sufficient to keep bad guys off airplanes then why have them at all?
Old May 15, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The Onion beat you to that joke by 15 years.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
My wife was swabbed today and she reports the swabs were wet.
That's interesting. Have never heard that before. Will do some digging and see if I can find out if something has changed.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Is there any good reason trusted travelers could not be exempted from such a ban? I'm talking about a "show your Nexus/GE card, bring on the usual items like you can today" scenario.
Yes. Foreign governments/security/airports might be coerced into enforcing a foolish ban, but they aren't going to sign up to deal with differentiating based on programs they don't control or manage at all.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
+1 - I have unfortunately had to fly with near-explosive gut movements before. The GA seemed very surprised when I requested to change my seat to an aisle in the last row (immediately adjacent to the lav).

Originally Posted by rickg523
+1. I have exactly zero faith or expectation in a TSO being able to look at a camera and determine whether it qualifies as "electronics" or not. They're trained to treat bottles of water as threatening items. If a complete ban goes through, pretty much anything that has a button (mechanical or virtual) is going to get treated like it might could be a nyoocyoolur dirty shoe bomb.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Try explaining it to fellow passengers. Trusted travelers take out their laptops/tablets in flight, fellow passenger "knows" those aren't allowed on board, screams "terrorist", nastiness ensues. Not to mention the (somewhat legitimate, I think) firestorm it would create in terms of public reaction with charges of elitism, again somewhat legitimate: you have to pay the government $50/$85/$100 and submit to a background check to be able to bring a large electronic device on?

Even assuming arguendo that allowing trusted travelers to carry on laptops when others couldn't would be fine from a pure safety and security standpoint, those perception challenges are real and hard to get around. Pre-check doesn't allow customers to bring different items on board than non-pre-check customers; it just changes the screening procedures. For good practical reasons.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by ashill
Try explaining it to fellow passengers. Trusted travelers take out their laptops/tablets in flight, fellow passenger "knows" those aren't allowed on board, screams "terrorist", nastiness ensues. Not to mention the (somewhat legitimate, I think) firestorm it would create in terms of public reaction with charges of elitism, again somewhat legitimate: you have to pay the government $50/$85/$100 and submit to a background check to be able to bring a large electronic device on?

Even assuming arguendo that allowing trusted travelers to carry on laptops when others couldn't would be fine from a pure safety and security standpoint, those perception challenges are real and hard to get around. Pre-check doesn't allow customers to bring different items on board than non-pre-check customers; it just changes the screening procedures. For good practical reasons.
Except that trusted travelers already get special treatment (special kiosks, lines, etc) at customs and immigration.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The same reasons the EU would go along with any of this nonsense. Because they like having direct flights from Europe to the US.
And the US doesn't like having direct flights from the US to Europe? That doesn't make sense.

Maybe the EU will issue their own version of a trusted traveler card and then the question is, will DHS accept those? But the problem is that it's not just EU + US -- there are many additional countries. None of this is going to be sorted out this week. Or this year.

Originally Posted by artemis
Do you really think the security goons are going to be able to tell a manual film camera from a digital one? Your Leica camera body will go into the hold, where it will probably be stolen.
The problem they really need to fix is that of airline, airport and security workers having unsecured access to baggage. The same person who steals that camera could presumably also put something nefarious in its place. And they wouldn't even have to be on the plane when the bomb goes off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.