Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some EU citizens can, but don't worry. GE members won't be waived from the hits of this ban, so all equal animals will be treated poorly as US DHS likes it.
Oh, I would think so. It's more that I feel the urge to point it out to those on this forum who seem to be very US-centric in their thinking on this topic.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
First off, ability to pay is far more elitist than being a vetted passenger. Any American can be Global Entry if they apply and qualify.
But the average person doesn't know that. They think Global Entry is a special program reserved exclusively for frequent flyers or the 1%. And of course not everyone can qualify for Global Entry. Some folks, though not a real security threat, won't pass the background check.

If GE's are afforded extra benefits, issue a snazzy kind of uniform to go with the status. One thing clear in modern America is that questioning anyone wearing a uniform no matter what they are doing is verboten and lawfully subject to the harshest reprisal.
I want a uniform with shiny high boots! And some sort of snazzy insignia on the collar tabs - maybe a design based on the old Pan Am globe?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by artemis
Some folks, though not a real security threat, won't pass the background check.
Do those same folks qualify for an airline or airport job that provides access to the baggage areas in the bowels of the airport?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
It's not just direct costs for Global Entry; it's also indirect costs. Even though I live east of the Mississippi River, the nearest place I can go for Global entry is 300+ miles away by car. Literally half the states in the country have no interview location for Global Entry.

So easy to have to spend a couple hundred dollars beyond the cost of application to get GE if you don't live vaguely near a GE interview site and can't combine your interview with another trip.
Tell me about it; I'm in the same boat. I live in Omaha, and flew to Chicago specifically to do my Global Entry interview. My parents live in the suburbs, so I scheduled a short weekend visit with them, and did the interview on arrival at ORD and spent the rest of the weekend with them. It was a nice short family visit, but I only did the trip for the interview.

People shouldn't need Global Entry (or membership in any other special program) to take their PEDs on a plane. Vetting the devices is a fairer approach.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Do those same folks qualify for an airline or airport job that provides access to the baggage areas in the bowels of the airport?
They sure do!
Old May 15, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Absolutely. I've long thought that that is the best way to get a large bomb in the hold - have someone on the inside slip it into a bag that's already been screened. And of course there's commercial cargo loaded onto passenger flights that receives minimal (if any) screening, and nothing on the catering truck receives any screening at all. "Would you like a special meal? Your options for this flight are kosher, vegetarian, or McBoom!"

The real reason planes aren't being blown out of the sky right and left is the same reason huge numbers of people aren't being deliberately run over by passenger vehicles or gunned down and/or blown to pieces in shopping centers: there just aren't all that many people out there who are both willing and able to do those things. Even in countries where ISIS and Al Shabab have a real presence, most people simply aren't murderers.

(Does that mean we need no security at all? No, of course not. But we need to keep the security screening proportionate to the actual level of threat, and we need to realize and accept that a risk-free free society is a contradiction in terms.)
Seems like this ban could make potential bombers focus more on finding weaknesses and recruiting accomplices for some of the above. I wonder what measures are being taken to improve those vulnerabilities along with this proposed ban?

Originally Posted by gooselee
Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if half (literally 50%) of the US population isn't aware that not all countries in Europe are part of the EU, or that the Schengen zone is yet another different grouping of states.

More than once I have heard people refer to Africa as a country.

This makes most people reacting to the news believe that this issue (and so many others) are far less complex than they actually are. Add that to people believing that the US is the center of the world, and....
I guess some people learned all of their Africa information from the band Toto!
Old May 15, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the average person doesn't know that. They think Global Entry is a special program reserved exclusively for frequent flyers or the 1%. And of course not everyone can qualify for Global Entry. Some folks, though not a real security threat, won't pass the background check.

I want a uniform with shiny high boots! And some sort of snazzy insignia on the collar tabs - maybe a design based on the old Pan Am globe?
And I tell you, in the States at least, you could literally order civilians around to your whim "Folks, you'll need to approach your seats on your knees. It's a new security measure in response to a credible threat."
And if you got kickback, no doubt from some American who was an adult before Sept. 2001, a whole lot of people would take your side. "Just comply. You're delaying and inconveniencing everyone else with your questions and insistence on an explanation."
Old May 15, 2017, 2:22 pm

And I tell you, in the States at least, you could literally order civilians around to your whim "Folks, you'll need to approach your seats on your knees. It's a new security measure in response to a credible threat."
And if you got kickback, no doubt from some American who was an adult before Sept. 2001, a whole lot of people would take your side. "Just comply. You're delaying and inconveniencing everyone else with your questions and insistence on an explanation."
Sadly, this is so true. What the hell happened to this country over the decades to make people so worshipful of even the most insignificant authority figure? (It wasn't 9/11; that only revealed that the character trait was already there. If it hadn't been, then the Patriot Act would have been met with more than token resistance, and we would have had to have had a real discussion about how far the government should be allowed to go "in the name of national security.")
Old May 15, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sadly, this is so true.It wasn't 9/11; that only revealed that the character trait was already there. If it hadn't been, then the Patriot Act would have met with more than token resistance, and we would have had to have had a real discussion about how far the government should be allowed to go "in the name of national security.")
So right you are.
I think there's been an undercurrent of preference for order in the reaction to social discontent in the 1960's, which was taken by some citizens as a rejection of their nation. Thus the "blames America First" right wing meme applied to any criticism of US foreign policy. And social order became "law and order." Add a foreign-originated attack on US soil and the fear factor just pushed these folks over the edge. And gave cynical officials cover for the clampdown. Now, in 2017, great swathes of the US population believe the answer to security is simple. Fortress America. They voted for the current admin.
To my mind, the proposal we're discussing here is just the third step in that direction in so many months. And why these e-bans will never be applied to domestic flights. Evidence and experience be damned. That doesn't advance the goal of isolation.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So right you are.
I think there's been an undercurrent of preference for order in the reaction to social discontent in the 1960's, which was taken by some citizens as a rejection of their nation. Thus the "blames America First" right wing meme applied to any criticism of US foreign policy. And social order became "law and order." Add a foreign-originated attack on US soil and the fear factor just pushed these folks over the edge. And gave cynical officials cover for the clampdown. Now, in 2017, great swathes of the US population believe the answer to security is simple. Fortress America. They voted for the current admin.
To my mind, the proposal we're discussing here is just the third step in that direction in so many months. And why these e-bans will never be applied to domestic flights. Evidence and experience be damned. That doesn't advance the goal of isolation.
Very few on either side of the aisle will speak out against TSA and TSA tactics.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Very few on either side of the aisle will speak out against TSA and TSA tactics.
True enough. But in the US we have one Party incapable of leadership and one Party unfit for leadership.
A choice between cancer and polio, as the old song says.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:16 pm

So right you are.
I think there's been an undercurrent of preference for order in the reaction to social discontent in the 1960's, which was taken by some citizens as a rejection of their nation.
I think it's just human nature and we over-glorify the old days by thinking that we used to be intelligent and morally brave. Look at all the people in America who lost their jobs and careers in the 1950's due to HUAC and the red menace during the McCarthy era because everyone was afraid there was a "red under the bed". While at the same time in East Germany people were reporting their neighbors to the Stasi. Most people elevate whatever official authorities tell them way above their own common sense and don't question it. "Question authority and the authorities will question you" is their motto.

Last edited by inet32; May 15, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 3:31 pm

The next meeting between US and EU officials on this proposal is set for Wednesday, so it's unlikely anything will happen before then.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
From this article the WaPo just published today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.b1b98cf8ca69

One day after dismissing Comey, Trump welcomed Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Ambassador Sergey Kislyak — a key figure in earlier Russia controversies — into the Oval Office. It was during that meeting, officials said, that Trump went off script and began describing details of an Islamic State terrorist threat related to the use of laptop computers on aircraft.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
BusinessInsider had an article about this topic today as well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-u...top-ban-2017-5

I still don't see why the airline lobby isn't fighting this as hard as possible. I understand why they didn't for the ME ban (since no US Airline flies out of those airports directly). Is Step 2 to start charging for IFE on longhauls? "Sorry you can't have your iPad, only $3.99 a movie for your 12 hour flight FRA-LAX!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.