Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
This annoys me to no end. There is no real security threat, its all security theater, and all it does is drive business away from the US. This administration will be the death of the US.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-11/european-airlines-bracing-for-expansion-of-trump-s-laptop-ban

The FRA airport authority is saying this is real, and they expect it to affect flights to the US out of FRA and other German airports. German news media has said that US officials have been talking about this with the Germans. Time for everyone to call/write their Congressional representatives to try to stop it before it destroys business and tourism.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: DL FO
How can they rationalize this policy with restrictions on lithium ion batteries in checked bags?
Old May 11, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
What's to stop the airlines from enforcing this ban like they enforce the Note 7 ban? Some signs at the check-in counters, and an announcement by the FA that if you have a laptop/tablet/camera those are not allowed in the cabin and please bring it forward. We know this works with Note 7 because people (even terrorists) are fundamentally honest and do not travel with their Note 7s (if they did, surely airplanes would have crashed by now), so why wouldn't it work with the rest of the electronics?

I note that there is no screening for electronics on arrival in the US. So if a passenger were to forget that they had electronics, they wouldn't be caught, and the airline should not fear any fine.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:19 am

So how is Delta going to protect my iPad and digital camera? Especially since electronics in checkin luggage aren't covered if they are lost/stolen? I'm really pissed off about this!
Old May 11, 2017, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
not so fast everyone ;-)

https://twitter.com/AirlineGeeks/status/862625983555358720

Old May 11, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
What's to stop the airlines from enforcing this ban like they enforce the Note 7 ban? Some signs at the check-in counters, and an announcement by the FA that if you have a laptop/tablet/camera those are not allowed in the cabin and please bring it forward. We know this works with Note 7 because people (even terrorists) are fundamentally honest and do not travel with their Note 7s (if they did, surely airplanes would have crashed by now), so why wouldn't it work with the rest of the electronics?

I note that there is no screening for electronics on arrival in the US. So if a passenger were to forget that they had electronics, they wouldn't be caught, and the airline should not fear any fine.
IF you get it through security screening. That's going to be the issue, because flights to the US out of European airports are screened to US standards. You might "forget," but if you can't get past the x-ray with your laptop, tablet, or camera, you won't be getting on the plane with those items.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks for the update Renes.

I was also wondering the logistics of this with EU-US Delta flights... for example if you originate on another EU country to fly to AMS, you could carry on your bag but then have to check it somehow in AMS? Or would you be required to check at the first country? What about baggage fees, will they now be waived for everyone due to having to check your electronics?

I know personally I don't have a lot of extra room in my carryon, and sticking my laptop etc in there is going to make it overfull and more likely for things to get damaged... not to mention bags now being an even more obvious target for thieves.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is not a DL specific topic and I am moving this discussion over to the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Rssrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by TWA884; May 11, 2017 at 6:23 am
Old May 11, 2017, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
My guess is this was leaked by TSA/DHS to see the reaction. There is no way the U.S. airlines, directly and through their trade association, would sit back and allow this to happen, not least because of the safety concerns over lithium batteries in checked bags.

Worse yet, what's next? No laptops on domestic flights. Don't forget the terrorist attacks of 9/11 were all domestic flights.

Hopefully, Delta, American and United have contingencies in case this happens though I can't imagine they will be able to handle it the way the Middle Eastern airlines have done with loaner laptops for business-class passengers and speciality valet checking of customer laptops.

On a side note, I understand it isn't just a laptop ban. I thought I read it would also effect expensive digital SLR cameras.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by S_D_P
Yeah, that's the thing: Traveling for work and the airline looses my pants- I can solve that problem. But arriving for a meeting without my computer is a much more challenging situation.

A lot of people also use that flight time to get a lot of work done. I wonder if some people will be more reluctant to attend a meeting in person if it means loosing that extra work time?
If you're flying on an airline that doesn't let you wear pants you may be flying with the wrong airline
Old May 11, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
I was just watching news about it on a major respected European news network.

One thing the presenters said seemed to make more sense to me.... Quote: "banning such devices on Europe to America flights makes no sense... the bad people can just make the bad devices and fly on domestic U.S. flights.... just like all the September 11 hijackers were on domestic U.S. flights... ... unless the US authorities' intent is to implement the same ban to all domestic U.S. flight at a later date?"
I don't get it either - Is there some reason potential terrorists can't construct these bombs in the US? Also as someone else mentioned - it's not like terrorists don't know how to take a connecting flight.

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Personally I would be less annoyed if this risk was judged more equally with other risks we face everyday. Being killed by a terrorist ranks well below the risks that I'll be killed by a fellow American with a car or a gun or kill my self in my bathroom by accident. We seem to go to extremes about the "terrorist" threat yet ignore much more significant risks in my opinion.
Our continued inability to rationally and objectively manage risk will be our undoing as a society.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Step one: Ban and make it as inconvenient as possible for many frequent/business travelers.

Step two: Insist on spending lots and lots of money to screen so that the ban can be rescinded.

Bonus if the huge expenditure also requires the hiring and training of more staff.
Sad but probably true.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:40 am

Can't see the point of a reciprocal ban as it will hurt European folk heading home as much as American folk visiting Europe.

The result is, I would expect, far less business travel or routings to the USA that get round this rule. So if I were Canadian or Mexican I would be looking at increased business. Of course there's a chance businesses get into the 21st century and find other ways of conducting business with the USA than having folk getting permanently jetlagged.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Step one: Ban and make it as inconvenient as possible for many frequent/business travelers.

Step two: Insist on spending lots and lots of money to screen so that the ban can be rescinded.

Bonus if the huge expenditure also requires the hiring and training of more staff.
Except this won't affect US security but security in Europe where the money would need to be spent
Old May 11, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt the airlines will take a stand unless passengers force the issue. If enough people say traveling without their PED's is not acceptable and find alternatives to flying to the U.S. that action might be enough to get the airlines to push back. But nothing will happen until the cost of this ban, if it happens, falls directly on the shoulders of the airline industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.