Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by donsullivan
I've got a photography focused trip (into CDG and return from MUC) scheduled in less than 2 weeks with over $20K in camera gear plus my laptop, iPad etc.. Given the fact that no matter how I pack it, none of this gear will be insured by Delta or the Allianz travel policy I purchased I'm trying to figure out what my options will be. I'm pricing Pelican cases for the camera backpack and laptop and other electronics now but wow, they are expensive. It seems i can't add Inland Marine coverage for the gear to my homeowners and now scrambling for an alternative provider of that coverage before I go.
You may have to weigh the costs of canceling the trip and forfeiting the already-paid costs versus what you'd be out if your uninsured gear was stolen/destroyed. It would be a complete no-brainer for me: I'd cancel the trip rather than risk a $20k loss. A Pelican case without a non-TSA lock really isn't any protection from theft.

I feel for you. (And I think the airlines should have to refund the fares of travelers who choose to cancel as a result of these restrictions, as they would not have booked those tickets if the restrictions had already been in place at the time of ticket purchase.)

Last edited by artemis; May 11, 2017 at 9:34 am
Old May 11, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
TSA never explained why the war on water and shampoo was justified and got away with it. How is this different?
Not different, just demonstrates as group we aren't willing to take the necessary steps to hold government accountable for its actions.

People refuse to not fly, bought into Extortion Check because it made their life a bit easier, and so forth, but continues to look the other way when TSA or other government agencies do things that should be questioned.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:40 am

The interesting thing is that most people are upset because they won't be able to take their electronics on the plane conveniently and people like me are upset because they would have to check a bag. I never ever check a bag internationally, and having to do so because I brought my camera (and maybe a 7" tablet at most) irritates me beyond words. Having to figure out how to pack the camera into the hold and check it and the extra risk of my stuff getting lost or stolen is infuriating. Aside from the MASSIVE inconvenience of checking a bag and the huge delays it causes...when I did check many years ago, I had about 1/5 bags seriously delayed/lost.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would think at a minimum that DHS/TSA should have to produce evidence that supports the necessity of this type of ban/limitation.
Hahhaha.... that's funny

Should they? Sure. They should do a lot of things. Will they? Noooooo. Can't reveal our methods and intelligence.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hahhaha.... that's funny
The fact that you see my statement as something humorous isn't funny.

Go ahead and let TSA control your life.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: DL: PM, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by artemis
You may have to weigh the costs of canceling the trip and forfeiting the already-paid costs versus what you'd be out if your uninsured gear was stolen/destroyed. It would be a complete no-brainer for me: I'd cancel the trip rather than risk a $20k loss. A Pelican case without a non-TSA lock really isn't any protection from theft.

I feel for you. (And I think the airlines should have to refund the fares of travelers who choose to cancel as a result of these restrictions, as they would not have booked those tickets if the restrictions had already been in place at the time of ticket purchase.)
Unfortunately, at this stage, rescheduling is not a practical option. The trip has been scheduled around specific events & locations for quite a long time and could not be rebuilt quickly if at all. I'm also past the cancellation deadline for some parts of it where I'd be paying penalties (some up to 100%) for late cancellation.

Part of what I'm reading indicates I could take my gear onboard on the way over, but not on the return. If that's the case I'll just check an empty Pelican case on the way over and use it for return. That way I'll at least be sure I have all my gear when I get there and it's only at risk on the return. I have a really small (smaller than my mobile phone) external SSD that I can keep with me onboard so I do not loose any of the photos.

At this point, I just want them to announce it so I can plan accordingly before I go.l It will be a mess if I have to react after I get there.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The fact that you see my statement as something humorous isn't funny.

Go ahead and let TSA control your life.
See my earlier post. I will be writing my congress critters. I will curtail my affected air travel to reduce my exposure (I can reprioritize other travel) to put financial pressure on airlines to use their lobby powers.

What is your action plan, beyond stating what TSA should be required to do?
Old May 11, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
TSA never explained why the war on water and shampoo was justified and got away with it. How is this different?
Actually, I seem to recall that Scotland Yard or someone did provide some support for the liquid ban/restriction. I can't find it now but it was a video of a couple Gatorade bottles with modified liquid explosives blowing up a container or something like that. There was a risk from liquid explosives and also at the time a likely threat that it would be implemented.

However, the initial reaction of the authorities was draconian and extreme. It took more investigation for the authorities to understand what the risk was and how to mitigate the risk. After they thought through the process we got 3-1-1. The idea was that this approach mitigated the understood threat and made it more difficult for a successful attack to be completed.

I believe there is a threat caused by improvised explosive devices hidden in laptops and the like in their batteries or disguised like batteries. Now how big that threat is is the real question. Is it being inflated? I don't know. However, it seems to me that the implication of this is that they are trying to do a measured approach on the implementation of this ban to avoid crawl back later.

There is some support from IACO that indicates that the threat is real and they are trying to work through a world wide approach to dealing with issue. There is a balancing act that needs to be managed here. The risk in the cabin vs the risk in the hold. I think that what they are going to go to as a world wide recommendation is a limitation on the number and size of battery powered electronics allowed to be brought by passengers on the plane (checked and carryon). Guess would be that IACO will limit individuals to two phone/tablet sized devices (no bigger than an iPad mini), 1 laptop sized device (larger tablets) and likely one camera/video device of a specific size. I fully expect that they will come out very strongly against the carriage of large electronics in the hold unless and until they can create a system that actually protects from thermal runaway. They will probably require that the devices be screened for explosives at the checkpoint. From this guideline I expect countries to modify accordingly namely limiting the number of devices simply from a logistics side of things.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a really small (smaller than my mobile phone) external SSD that I can keep with me onboard so I do not loose any of the photos.
I'd probably also upload them to a cloud service and not trust that any electronic device (except, perhaps, a phone) will be acceptable. Would too much on the interpretation of an individual "security" official looking at it. E.g., my Kindle is not much bigger than some phablets, and yet I wouldn't count on getting it through.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
See my earlier post. I will be writing my congress critters. I will curtail my affected air travel to reduce my exposure (I can reprioritize other travel) to put financial pressure on airlines to use their lobby powers.

What is your action plan, beyond stating what TSA should be required to do?
Primarily not having to travel from Europe the US. I am active in stating my displeasure of TSA to my electeds and in others.

If a ban such as this is really necessary then so be it, but show me why it is needed.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:03 am

... I'll just check an empty Pelican case on the way over and use it for return.
I'm in the same boat - I travel for photography mostly, have some very
expensive lenses I can not easily re-purchase if lost, and I'm pi$$ed as hell.
I think the only real option is Fedex. Pack your stuff and ship it back.
At least it's only one way, usually for us it's back home,
so you can pick a slower (less expensive) method. Pick high value with Fedex
and it doesn't require additional insurance etc.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:03 am

At this point, I just want them to announce it so I can plan accordingly before I go.l It will be a mess if I have to react after I get there.
In that case I'd bite the bullet and get the Pelican case now, just to be safe. There may be a run on them if an in-cabin ban that includes camera equipment is indeed passed, and with your trip coming up so soon you don't want to risk not being able to get the case. You can always return it or sell it on Ebay if it turns out to be an unnecessary precaution.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by artemis
In that case I'd bite the bullet and get the Pelican case now, just to be safe. There may be a run on them if an in-cabin ban that includes camera equipment is indeed passed, and with your trip coming up so soon you don't want to risk not being able to get the case. You can always return it or sell it on Ebay if it turns out to be an unnecessary precaution.
Explain how using a pelican case negates the strong possibility that a baggage handler will just steal the whole thing.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: DL: PM, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Explain how using a pelican case negates the strong possibility that a baggage handler will just steal the whole thing.
While the Pelican case certainly cannot prevent a baggage handler from stealing something, it is a mandatory step simply to protect the camera gear from damage in transit. In my case, I can't just put my camera backpack into checked luggage, it is not designed to protect the gear under those conditions. The backpack would have to go into a TSA locked Pelican case along with my laptop and iPad and other random stuff so it's protected just going through the baggage belts and on and off the planes.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
I'm in the same boat - I travel for photography mostly, have some very
expensive lenses I can not easily re-purchase if lost, and I'm pi$$ed as hell.
I think the only real option is Fedex. Pack your stuff and ship it back.
At least it's only one way, usually for us it's back home,
so you can pick a slower (less expensive) method. Pick high value with Fedex
and it doesn't require additional insurance etc.
What about custom's fees and duty when shipping your own gear back home via Fedex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.