Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
judging by the lack of responses to this thread, is it safe to safe that the majority of the people just don't care anymore?
That is not a reasonable assumption.

For example, I have two other reasons for not replying:

(1) Nothing I have to say would really add anything to the discussion, and
(2) What I want to say is not allowed in FT forums.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:05 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
judging by the lack of responses to this thread, is it safe to safe that the majority of the people just don't care anymore?
Lets wait until this news becomes official, if it does, then this thread might have a few more posts.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
They indicated that one idea floated was a complete ban of electronics from aircraft, both checked and carried....However, if what I have heard is even remotely close to what comes to be, then this pretty much will kill all business travel and likely most international travel.
If safety is truly the goal then a complete ban of personal electronics would make more sense than a piecemeal one. I'd hate this but what can you do besides not fly?

Of course, a complete ban of personal electronics would put a damper on DHS's plans to snoop through the social media accounts, electronic files, etc. of non-US citizens upon their arrival at any border checkpoint in a US airport.

And yes, any ban that includes putting laptops in checked luggage will kill business and probably a lot of government travel as well.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:35 pm

Implications of laptops banned as carry-ons

I just read that Homeland Security is considering banning laptops as carry-ons on flights from Europe to the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/b...T.nav=top-news

It left me thinking about all my business trips where I'm away for 72 hours and just take my carry-on. I couldn't work without a laptop, but it would be such a shame to have to check (and wait for a checked bag) simply to bring a laptop on a trip. I wonder if Delta will take a position on this? Will it really influence business travel or just be an inconvenience?
Old May 10, 2017, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by S_D_P
I just read that Homeland Security is considering banning laptops as carry-ons on flights from Europe to the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/b...T.nav=top-news

It left me thinking about all my business trips where I'm away for 72 hours and just take my carry-on. I couldn't work without a laptop, but it would be such a shame to have to check (and wait for a checked bag) simply to bring a laptop on a trip. I wonder if Delta will take a position on this? Will it really influence business travel or just be an inconvenience?
Time for smart phone w/kick stand and tiny fingers

Old May 10, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by kochleffel
That is not a reasonable assumption.

For example, I have two other reasons for not replying:

(1) Nothing I have to say would really add anything to the discussion, and
(2) What I want to say is not allowed in FT forums.
For item 2, there are places on FT where it's allowed. Well, perhaps not all of it.

I've been lurking on this thread, and any possible laptop/electronics ban would adversely affect my travel. For instance, I was getting ready to plan a trip to the Mediterranean in the near future. Depending on the outcomes of a possible ban, I may not book the trip.

I would echo a couple of the other posts here. the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate doesn't quite get the traffic of the old combined Travel Safety/Security topic from 7 or 8 years ago. If one isn't a regular reader of this group or some of the blogs, then the FT member likely wouldn't see the post.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
The Daily Beast is reporting that the ban will be announced tomorrow.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SC54HI
If safety is truly the goal then a complete ban of personal electronics would make more sense than a piecemeal one. I'd hate this but what can you do besides not fly?
I suspect Europeans that are already hesitant to visit the US today will increasingly find alternative vacation destinations.

I don't often travel with my laptop anymore, but I usually have a M4/3 camera and a couple of lenses and my iPad and a Kindle with me. I might just prioritize travel to destinations that don't subject me to the risk of loss or damage in the short term and hope that drops in bookings will motivate the airline lobby to exert some pressure that individual travelers probably lack (I will fire off a letter to my congress critters, too).

Originally Posted by Majuki
If one isn't a regular reader of this group or some of the blogs, then the FT member likely wouldn't see the post.
A mainstream media report - Marketplace on NPR today. - motivated me to check out this forum again.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
What a farce. Let's just fill every aircraft hold with dozens (if not hundreds) of lithium-ion batteries. That will definitely end well.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

A mainstream media report - Marketplace on NPR today. - motivated me to check out this forum again.
I was just watching news about it on a major respected European news network.

One thing the presenters said seemed to make more sense to me.... Quote: "banning such devices on Europe to America flights makes no sense... the bad people can just make the bad devices and fly on domestic U.S. flights.... just like all the September 11 hijackers were on domestic U.S. flights... ... unless the US authorities' intent is to implement the same ban to all domestic U.S. flight at a later date?"
Old May 10, 2017, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm sure all the airport thieves will be very happy.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:05 pm

Yeah, that's the thing: Traveling for work and the airline looses my pants- I can solve that problem. But arriving for a meeting without my computer is a much more challenging situation.

A lot of people also use that flight time to get a lot of work done. I wonder if some people will be more reluctant to attend a meeting in person if it means loosing that extra work time?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don't often travel with my laptop anymore, but I usually have a M4/3 camera and a couple of lenses and my iPad and a Kindle with me. I might just prioritize travel to destinations that don't subject me to the risk of loss or damage in the short term...
What scares me is that I plan my vacations months in advance, and what is not affected by the ban today could be in six months or so. Who knows how far and how fast this idiocy will spread?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by artemis
What scares me is that I plan my vacations months in advance, and what is not affected by the ban today could be in six months or so. Who knows how far and how fast this idiocy will spread?
In what way does the possible ban affect your vacation plans?

Just wondering.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by WalterSFO
I was just watching news about it on a major respected European news network.

One thing the presenters said seemed to make more sense to me.... Quote: "banning such devices on Europe to America flights makes no sense... the bad people can just make the bad devices and fly on domestic U.S. flights.... just like all the September 11 hijackers were on domestic U.S. flights... ... unless the US authorities' intent is to implement the same ban to all domestic U.S. flight at a later date?"
There's that silly "logic" stuff again! What does logic have to do with security theater?! Government policies aren't supposed to actually make sense!

A part of me almost hopes this DOES spread to affect domestic US flights. I've always been struck by the reality that those who defend airport security theater the most are generally the least-traveled - but even those folks may occasionally want to fly to Vegas or Disney World. If they had to check their iPads in their suitcase only to have them stolen or broken with no compensation forthcoming from the airlines, that might just wake them up. (Not to mention that even those who don't fly would be greatly affected by the total havok such a ban would cause in the US economy.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.