Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by flyerguy99
The US govt will sure be making life difficult for its own employees, diplomats, and soldiers if they impose this.

I know some US diplomatic staff in countries affected by the initial ban. It turns out there is a hard and fast policy that US govt-owned electronics with sensitive data must be carried in person, not put in checked luggage. "Sensitive" extends considerably farther than "classified" in this context -- e.g., a laptop with human resources data, or proprietary information from a regulated firm or contractor bid. It's a low threshold, though it doesn't include all US govt equipment (e.g., if someone takes a blank laptop just to access remote email).

The rule is firm enough that these federal employees were instructed that if they were planning travel with sensitive government equipment, cancel existing reservations on affected flights and rebook connecting routes via Europe, even though that would mean higher fares and not using GSA city-pair contracts where available.

If it becomes essentially impossible to travel internationally with electronics on your person, I'm not sure how the US govt plans to resolve that -- rules for federal employees on protecting devices have been getting tighter, not looser.
It's going to create quite the headache it would seem for everyone, not just tourist/business leaders/corporate employees/employees going for meetings/work and for students.

I just do not think the US govt has thought this ban through carefully.

Surely if the risk has to do with specific countries, could the demand not be for security in those countries and their airports be ramped up with better screening machines, better training for the security staff, tighter control check in bags and screening as well as loading....

I can't imagine how they can get around this without causing more chaos for everyone.

I said it earlier. Will say it again. It's a case of shooting themselves in the foot more often than not,.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL: PM, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Well a lot of this started from the ONE tweet that started this thread. With our current govt bragging about stopping leaks it was curious that a LEAK was sent to an aviation tweetsphere person and the majority of articles referenced it on DAY one then other articles referenced "sources". In other words, a scoop MAY not always hold truth behind it, still think it's possible for this ban to happen but the timeline sources gave was off.
At this point, given the chaos this is spinning up with the traveling public and the airline industry, DHS has a responsibility to stop the vague responses and just step up and announce their plan. Then, at least people can begin to develop alternative strategies to deal with it instead of this vague limbo they have created.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:25 pm

The US govt will sure be making life difficult for its own employees, diplomats, and soldiers if they impose this.

I know some US diplomatic staff in countries affected by the initial ban. It turns out there is a hard and fast policy that US govt-owned electronics with sensitive data must be carried in person, not put in checked luggage.

If it becomes essentially impossible to travel internationally with electronics on your person, I'm not sure how the US govt plans to resolve that -- rules for federal employees on protecting devices have been getting tighter, not looser.
I wonder if the delay in the announcement is because someone high up in another government department (perhaps the State Department?) has pointed that awkward fact out to the Department of Homeland Security?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt

I know some US diplomatic staff in countries affected by the initial ban. It turns out there is a hard and fast policy that US govt-owned electronics with sensitive data must be carried in person, not put in checked luggage. "Sensitive" extends considerably farther than "classified" in this context -- e.g., a laptop with human resources data, or proprietary information from a regulated firm or contractor bid. It's a low threshold, though it doesn't include all US govt equipment (e.g., if someone takes a blank laptop just to access remote email).

The rule is firm enough that these federal employees were instructed that if they were planning travel with sensitive government equipment, cancel existing reservations on affected flights and rebook connecting routes via Europe, even though that would mean higher fares and not using GSA city-pair contracts where available.

I know with my workgroup we were told that we can utilize USAF and USN assets (as long as the request is reasonable). But, that won't matter much since I'm transferring to Energy.

What would really suck is if they roll this out on domestic routes because my new position would have me shuttle between CalTech and LLNL on a near weekly basis.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:36 pm

I think if you have GE you are already vetted. I carry sensitive agency information on my work laptop. If that was lost/stolen it would be massive. However, I only plan to take my iPad mini and iPhone with me. I don't see how Delta can protect my belongings even with gate checking them in with receipt. This will be a massive cluster--hoo-hoo.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
An event from more than a year ago. If this is the root why 14 months to take action?

One other significant point with this 2016 event, it was an insider job.
More current info:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...n-t-add-up-yet
Old May 11, 2017, 7:18 pm

I'm glad I live with in a quick drive of Toronto.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Not to mention anyone in the health care sector who travels with data subject to HIPAA; they too cannot be separated from their laptops under the policies of the health care companies I know.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Not to mention anyone in the health care sector who travels with data subject to HIPAA; they too cannot be separated from their laptops under the policies of the health care companies I know.
That's a big reason why I don't use my laptop or iPad to do work at home. If I can remote into my hospital's computer system to sign out cases, I need to treat those devices with much greater care lest someone other than me manage to remote into the system.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My agency loans out "travel laptops" when we travel overseas. When I prep for an overseas meeting or conference at a UN location, I have documents with the U.S. negotiating position and delegation guidance. Even after the meetings, there's no way I am going to let that stuff out of my sight.

Now that I think about it, we have stricter rules about what to do with your IT devices in a hotel. Placing a USG laptop in one's checked luggage is as bad as leaving the same laptop on the desk in your room when you're out for dinner.

My speculation is that a lot of agencies will do what the DoD and IC did years ago when many of us had to carry pouches of classified materials on domestic and overseas flights. We were given courier letters to show to the checkpoint contractors (or TSA, I suppose) that said we were official USG couriers and that the pouch was not to be opened. Our security staff consulted the FAA to make sure our letters said the right things. We were told to leave the airport and miss our flights rather than be forced to open our pouches. It may come down to having to carry a similar letter asking the security people to allow us to carry the laptop because we are USG employees with USG IT hardware. That doesn't mean crap overseas, but I suspect we will soon have a domestic electronics ban. The TSA has to keep inventing threats in order to keep being funded.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by TomMM
How is this current its from March. Besides do you think it's difficult to do an automated time trigger. The lack of thought behind the agencies pushing for this is immense. Using the assumption that the only way to set off a device is manually is Thoroughly inept of our security agencies if that is the reason why they are still allowing Electronics to be checked in.

I'd rather we focus on immediate 100% PED screening - if there is time needed to roll out the hardware then an interim cabin ban is reasonable. The equipment to do this was being used by some European governments after 9/11 essentially they were screening every notebook and every electronics device for several weeks after that event using explosive detection equipment. It greatly adds to the screening time but removing these devices we'll just move people with ill will two other soft target points.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
An event from more than a year ago. If this is the root why 14 months to take action?

One other significant point with this 2016 event, it was an insider job.
Even going back post 9/11 nothing out of a European screening checkpoint has been subject to an incident. Multiple incidents of firearms making their way past TSA checkpoints doesn't seem like a problem to anyone in this current Administration.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Even going back post 9/11 nothing out of a European screening checkpoint has been subject to an incident. Multiple incidents of firearms making their way past TSA checkpoints doesn't seem like a problem to anyone in this current Administration.
I got curious about EgyptAir 804 since the last I heard there was some 'is it or isn't it?' regarding terrorism, and apparently that discussion is still going on, with the French talking the most, and suggesting that the fire was caused by, you guessed it, lithium batteries catching fire in the cockpit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_804
Old May 11, 2017, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I got curious about EgyptAir 804 since the last I heard there was some 'is it or isn't it?' regarding terrorism, and apparently that discussion is still going on, with the French talking the most, and suggesting that the fire was caused by, you guessed it, lithium batteries catching fire in the cockpit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_804

Wonder if this caused the problems MH370 faced as well and why we have no logical reason as to why it flew where it did for so long without any crew intervention.

We have some big problems now with this lithium issue....which is very scary.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A short clip on ABC local Chicago news just now showed someone putting laptops inside bubble wrap bags. Not sure what that was supposed to show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.