FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]
Old May 11, 2017, 6:34 pm
fgirard

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by flyerguy99
The US govt will sure be making life difficult for its own employees, diplomats, and soldiers if they impose this.

I know some US diplomatic staff in countries affected by the initial ban. It turns out there is a hard and fast policy that US govt-owned electronics with sensitive data must be carried in person, not put in checked luggage. "Sensitive" extends considerably farther than "classified" in this context -- e.g., a laptop with human resources data, or proprietary information from a regulated firm or contractor bid. It's a low threshold, though it doesn't include all US govt equipment (e.g., if someone takes a blank laptop just to access remote email).

The rule is firm enough that these federal employees were instructed that if they were planning travel with sensitive government equipment, cancel existing reservations on affected flights and rebook connecting routes via Europe, even though that would mean higher fares and not using GSA city-pair contracts where available.

If it becomes essentially impossible to travel internationally with electronics on your person, I'm not sure how the US govt plans to resolve that -- rules for federal employees on protecting devices have been getting tighter, not looser.
I know with my workgroup we were told that we can utilize USAF and USN assets (as long as the request is reasonable). But, that won't matter much since I'm transferring to Energy.

What would really suck is if they roll this out on domestic routes because my new position would have me shuttle between CalTech and LLNL on a near weekly basis.