Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
Just a matter of time before global ban as terrorists know how to book connecting flights.
See my note above. It is likely going to be global. It is just that EU is getting most of the attention right now.

Originally Posted by markle
I sincerely hope this isn't the case. I usually travel with a work phone and a personal phone. My work laptop has a 4G SIM card in it, so is technically also a "cellular" device. Not forgetting a tablet for movies on LH leisure flights, camera, fitbit, etc.

Any kind of limit on the total number of electronic devices (especially one that doesn't recognise that many people have separate work / personal phones) is going to make travel very difficult.

The one saving grace is that the DHS seems to be consulting on this, so (a) any ban is hopefully better thought through and (b) hopefully the change will be heavily lobbied against on the basis of the 344 million passengers flying between EU / US each year that would be impacted.
I think the reason for any limitation on the number of devices (if implemented) is triggered by a couple of concerns. 1) the number of devices carried in the hold of the aircraft and 2) the logistics of actually implementing this across the huge number of flights into the US.

I do honestly believe the underlying requirement is that all devices have to be screen for explosives prior to being allowed on the plane. They seem to think that the checked baggage scanning is better at catching/detecting explosives than the checkpoint systems.

Asking a passenger to prove the device works is no longer proof that the device doesn't contain an explosive as well. The premise behind the ban to begin with is that they figured out how to make a fully functional device that also included the explosive. The only way to determine if the device like this was modified is to take a fully charged device and watch how quickly it went dead, vs a known standard. Completely untenable within an airport situation. (please arrive at the airport 15 hours before you scheduled flight if traveling with electronics).

If implemented, this will kill business travel.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
I do honestly believe the underlying requirement is that all devices have to be screen for explosives prior to being allowed on the plane. They seem to think that the checked baggage scanning is better at catching/detecting explosives than the checkpoint systems.

Asking a passenger to prove the device works is no longer proof that the device doesn't contain an explosive as well.
One of the reasons I'm baffled that the ban (at least as it's currently set up for the ME airports) includes DSLRs is that you can simply remove the camera lens and LOOK inside the camera. Good luck turning a DSLR int a bomb and still have it be a working camera! And most point-and-shoots that don't have removable lenses aren't all that much bigger than a cell phone. How much explosive could they hold?
Old May 11, 2017, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Buster
And this is why I love The Onion (note this is from 2002!)...

http://www.theonion.com/article/faa-...ssenger-ban-44
The onion article should be updated to ban pilots since they've been implicated in some recent incidents, such as the young German guy who flew the Eurowings plane into the mountain.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:08 am

I'm frustrated by this, not just for business travel but because it includes tablets. I'm flying US -> UK and back at the end of june with my 2 kids. A tablet is a key tool for keeping the kids entertained. Yes we can manage without it, but keeping small children entertained and *not* bothering the other passengers is exhausting, and the tablet relieves a lot of that as we can make sure we can have their favorite shows (even favorite episodes), load up games, and ebooks and not have to lug a ton of stuff. If this actually comes to fruition I think I'm getting my kids ipod touches.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Just a matter of time before global ban as terrorists know how to book connecting flights.
Seriously. Our entire security scheme now seems to be depending on the terrorists not realizing that the Earth is ROUND...
Old May 11, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by artemis
One of the reasons I'm baffled that the ban (at least as it's currently set up for the ME airports) includes DSLRs is that you can simply remove the camera lens and LOOK inside the camera. Good luck turning a DSLR int a bomb and still have it be a working camera! And most point-and-shoots that don't have removable lenses aren't all that much bigger than a cell phone. How much explosive could they hold?
Learning to recognize explosives from camera guts would increase the cognitive burden on our dedicated screeners...
Old May 11, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
With no announcement today, I'm quite convinced that this was a leak designed to gauge public reaction. Such is standard procedure when considering implementation of policy that will affect a significant part of the public in a negative way.

Hopefully DHS reads FT and Airliners.net lmao.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ban as it stands right now, or even the EU ban, has little impact on the U.S. airline industry because everything is happening overseas. As others have stated, the real impacts and push-backs will occur if or when the ban is instituted on outgoing flights and domestic flights.

Having said this, I think the entrepreneurial spirit in the U.S. and like-minded countries will simply invent ways around the ban:
  • Widespread use of loaner laptops. There will be kiosks at most major airports where you can rent one for your flight and drop it off at your destination.
  • Insurance companies rushing to promote and sell theft policies
  • Mailing services at airports, just like what exists now for pocket knives
  • Tracking devices and a location service to find missing/stolen hardware
  • Airlines themselves might even rent you a laptop for your flight -- free for premium passengers

I came up with these ideas in about 5 minutes, and I'm not that good. Business travel cannot and will not stop or even noticeably decrease. Businesses and airlines will simply adapt. The TSA will adapt. When enough people in the right positions complained about draconian screening, the TSA invented ExtortionCheck and a lot of you climbed over each other to be the first in line and gladly pay the $85.

If enough people complain about a domestic laptop ban, the TSA will simply invent something else to placate the important people. For example, all they would have to do is to invent some sort of additional screening gadget only for ExtortionCheck participants. They wave the magic wand, declare your laptop to be wholesome and good, place a special sticker on it, and you're happy as a clam.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by artemis
This is exactly why there is a difference between the US and UK versions of the bans. The UK used some brains. The US just went ahead and said, "does it use a battery? Ok banned" The only thing that US ban does is that it avoids any confusion as to what is covered and what isn't.

Thinking more about this, the interesting thing is that the Israelis haven't jumped on this. If there was an actual risk you would have thought they would have at least banned the devices from the TK flights into TLV, but they haven't, and the TK security on the flights to Israel are not any more tighter than they are to most other locations. LH has tighter security on their flights to TLV.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I doubt the airlines will take a stand unless passengers force the issue. If enough people say traveling without their PED's is not acceptable and find alternatives to flying to the U.S. that action might be enough to get the airlines to push back. But nothing will happen until the cost of this ban, if it happens, falls directly on the shoulders of the airline industry.
I am currently in Europe and going back to the US next week (traveling on average twice per month internationally, mostly Europe, mostly in C, rarely F). It will be a very interesting call to the UA 1K desk if this is going to be implemented for my departure airport.

While I doubt it will do much, I sent an email to the 1K desk and Oscar already (before the meeting with airline representative happens today) that I will be taking my business elsewhere and fly through Canada/Mexico for all of my international travel if it gets implemented.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Business travel cannot and will not stop or even noticeably decrease.
I agree it cannot stop but it can certainly decrease. Teleconference/presence/videoconferencing is not a bad substitute in some instances. I work remotely today and literally have not been within 360 miles of my core home office in two years. With all the collaboration options today it just isn't necessary for me to travel and I prefer not to given the hassle. Also I suspect this will increase the shift to general aviation options such a NetJet, while that won't apply to peons like me I think you will see a shift of more executives availing themselves of those services and these are likely the same folks who are highly profitable to the airlines. I think this will have a negative impact on the airlines. I have already seen a pretty big increase in F and J awards seats on some of the ME3 flights since the ban was implemented. In fact I'll be travelling back from AUH in Etihad First Apartments next year and I literally had my choice of flights with more than one seat available.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:38 am

A few passing concerns...

Has anyone at least semi-decent answers how this will work?

I will be making a trip on business (Japan-US-EU and back), and computer is essential for work.

Concern - We know that luggage can get stolen or directed to never-never land, while we are waiting at luggage belt grinding our teeth.

Concern - I am not sure whether this is still true today, but several years ago on the internet there was a video of a device deployed at a segregation station, which hit a bag with a torpedo like force on the side. My Mac would be DOA, no doubt about it, to be handled that way. This is, why I thought, we are taking those things with us to the cabin in the first pace.

Can anyone make sense out of this, and can suggest how to manage this situation?
Old May 11, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Sakae

Can anyone make sense out of this, and can suggest how to manage this situation?
Until the plan is announced nobody (outside those in the know) can tell you much about the impact as we have nothing but rumors. You might want to read the threads on the existing ME ban but that may or may not reflect how things play out here.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by JoeBas
Learning to recognize explosives from camera guts would increase the cognitive burden on our dedicated screeners...
You're probably right. It's extremely difficult to tell the difference between Plastique and empty space. Only an expert can do it. It would place an unfair burden on our dedicated and heroic TSA screeners to require them to learn how to do that.

(That's why the ban is so funny, in a way. A DSLR body is mostly empty! It's the size it is simply to get the sensor far enough back from the lens for proper focus, not because it's jammed full of electronics. Haven't these folks ever LOOKED inside a camera with its lens off?)
Old May 11, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Sakae
Unfortunately no one really knows anything at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.