Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Looks like that is the mindset of TSA.

Why screen when a ban is so much less work?
The cognitive burden of scanning all PEDs is just too much.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
There are solutions to screen for explosive compounds (both liquid and solid) at the checkpoint. But they are expensive (CT technology that is used in checked luggage screening) or time consuming (trace detection). So the <deleted> in charge would rather institute an outright ban. Thing is, it doesn't go along with their normal thought process of just lighting a bunch of money on fire in the TSA HQ parking lot.

Last edited by TWA884; May 10, 2017 at 11:51 am Reason: Term not used in this forum; please refer to sticky thread
Old May 10, 2017, 10:31 am
Suspended

Any word on max height / width restrictions?

I was thinking of upgrading my iPhone. Normally I get the smaller, non-"phablet" version, but if tablets will be banned I'll probably snag the largest smartphone possible to be my in flight entertainment system.

(Both Netflix and Prime video now allow you to download movies to your device and view offline, it's very handy - I actually look forward to long flights now to catch up on my movies/shows )
Old May 10, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
U.S. likely to expand airline laptop ban to Europe: government officials - Reuters

Six U.S. and European officials said they expect the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to make an announcement but declined to say when.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
Announcement coming tomorrow.
Multiple EU departure airports, including UK.
Short notice for commencement.
No estimated end-date.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Assuming this is accurate, does that mean that they have now solved the LiOn issue? Or will they actually announce that computers cannot be transported on aircraft in any form?

Last edited by essxjay; May 13, 2017 at 12:37 am Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote
Old May 10, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
If they announce tomorrow, when will the ban take effect? Immediately? A few days?

I have a flight back to the US from Europe tomorrow and I really don't want to check my laptop. (I wasn't planning on checking any bags).

Last edited by essxjay; May 13, 2017 at 12:37 am Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote
Old May 10, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have to admit, given that there seems to be an emphasis on "multiple EU departure airports":

Is this going to be all airports in some countries? Or only some airports in some countries, if so which ones? LCC "hubs"? Airports with 5th freedom flights by ME3 (Athens/Milan/etc.)?
Old May 10, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
@swiftaw

A few days
Old May 10, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Exactly how is the GOP responsible for TSA's performance last year. TSA engaged in an unauthorized work slowdown. GOP had nothing to do with that.
The GOP cut the number of authorized TSA screeners even though the number of travelers has skyrocketed. Everybody wants government, nobody wants to pay for it.

The TSA has had to screen more fliers with fewer officers — roughly 3,000 agents — since budget cuts in 2011. “The problem is most acute at a handful of airports at certain times, and TSA is focusing its operations on meeting those peak demands,” TSA spokesman Michael McCarthy said.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2662440
Old May 10, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Any US airline that decided to remove in flight entertainment because "everybody has a tablet and laptop" is going to regret their idiotic decision.
Have any US airlines done this for Europe? I know some AA planes only have drop down entertainment screens in the cabin, but I thought the streaming wifi was mostly a domestic convention? (not sure here though)
Old May 10, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
This is consistent with some things I have heard and observed recently. Flying out of MSP last Friday and getting a random beep at pre-check, I had to wait for over 5 minutes for an agent to come over and perform the secondary. I thought it was for the regular pre-check random of you. However, the secondary wasn't of me but it was every one of my electronic devices, and when I mean ever electronic device I mean every device. If it had a battery it was tested. They tested my mouse, my laptop, my cell phones, my tablet, my razor, my watch, as well as every charging block I had. While they were doing this the agent, a supervisor 3 stripe and someone in a suit, said that this was most likely going to become a regular occurrence for domestic flights, but that for international flights electronics were going to be limited. The whole screening process took about 10 extra minutes, but it was definitely slow and annoying.

The other thing that I have heard through another source (works in a government agency and was right about some other things on the first ban), and this goes with the rumor of expanded bans to the US from Europe, is that the ban will be on all flights to the US. However, the ban will likely vary by airport, some airports will be a complete ban of electronics larger than a cell phone, while others will require random screening of electronics at the gate. Further, passengers will be limited in the overall number of electronics they will be permitted to bring with them either checked or carry on. This likely will be limited to one cellular device (cell phone) and one non-cellular electronic device (e.g. laptop). Medical devices will no longer be exempt from the cabin ban. My guess is that this will be based on the particular airport’s security procedures in place for US flights. They indicated that one idea floated was a complete ban of electronics from aircraft, both checked and carried.

The other thing that was mentioned is that electronics that are checked will have to go through an advanced screening technology used for checked luggage to be carried in the aircraft hold. Airlines will no longer be permitted to collect the items at the gate and then carry them on-board the aircraft, unless they have been scanned using the checked luggage screening process. (Basically, you have to have it in your checked luggage). Further, all checked luggage will be required to be screened or rescreened just prior to being loaded on aircraft bound for the US. Presumably this means prior to getting loaded into the LD bins for the plane. However, it could mean something else.

Part of me thinks that the real requirement is 100% scanning of all electronics carried into the cabin on all flights to the US. However, the logistics of implementing this are crazy, so they are going with a limitation of the number of items to minimize the overall procedural impact of the implementation. I also wonder if some of the total number of items is based upon potential risk of the batteries in the hold. However, if what I have heard is even remotely close to what comes to be, then this pretty much will kill all business travel and likely most international travel.

Again the above is informed rumor, not fact, but the source has been relatively accurate in the past.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The number of pax has increased, but the number of Pre-eligible pax has skyrocketed. The major airlines have caved and bought multi-million dollar new checkpoint xray belts to reduce the need for manpower - and the pax are paying for these new 'enhancements' that reduce TSA's workload without reducing the number of TSOs or improving the pax throughput..

Just those two changes should have resulted in less manpower at the checkpoint. Pre people shouldn't be getting crotch rubs and bag swabs as often as regular grunts and because so many pax have undergone background checks, more manpower should be spent on actual intel than on thinking up new ways to amuse checkpoint screeners who would otherwise be standing around doing nothing: check snacks, check paper, meet quotas for groin rubs, etc.

The checkpoint experience is no longer about identifying threats to aviation security; it's all about passing the red team tests and getting huge bonuses.

Last edited by essxjay; May 13, 2017 at 12:40 am Reason: reference to deleted post
Old May 10, 2017, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BSBD
If there truly is a credible threat to air travel from ubiquitous electronic devices, and that threat cannot be easily detected with current technology or screening methods, then it is time to ban air travel.
Then we'd have to ban the TSA since they won't have anything to do if no one travels by air.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please Stay on Topic

Reminder!

The topic of this thread is a possible "Electronic Devices Ban on flights from Europe to the US."

It is not about TSA staffing and the number of authorized screeners.

Please stay on topic!
FlyerTalk Rule 5:

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.