Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I have a question, and I hope I'm not giving the feds any ideas by saying this, but why is it safe to ship a camera, laptop, tablet, etc on a cargo plane but not in a passenger plane? Cargo aircraft still have humans on board. Remember, thousands of computers and other devices with batteries are shipped every day on planes from the factory to POS.

Also, would electronics be safe in the hold if all of the batteries were drained?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all against this, but I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned before.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
TSA before I got TSA Pre or Global Entry I'd get a swabbed once in a blue moon, but in the Far East they swab your luggage, backpack when you enter the checkin hall everyone and everytime ( first line of defense ).

I rarely travel with my DSLR or lense these days, iPhone good enough mostly but when I did travel and shoot my competitive kids, never once did they do more than open up my camera backpack, but times have changed.

My take they are looking to pick up residue of explosives or other illegal stuff, but I'd be hard pressed to believe they have any additional chemical agents to aid the collection, do they?
Data point: Chengdu, China. X-ray, wand and swab at the entrance. At least with me they were being very, very sloppy--the second swipe with the swab stick (they put it on a stick so they can reach out and swab things. Swab several bags then test) passed about 2 inches from my bag, and the wand was equally casual--she didn't detect any of the metal that I was carrying. Admittedly, as a middle age white male I'm low on their threat list. I'm used to the x-ray but the other stuff was new. (Although on one trip there was the bulk swabbing at security--bring several people into a "pen" (ropes, nothing solid), swab everybody and every bag, then test. After the test the group was released, the next loaded into the pen.)
Old May 21, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408
I have a question, and I hope I'm not giving the feds any ideas by saying this, but why is it safe to ship a camera, laptop, tablet, etc on a cargo plane but not in a passenger plane? Cargo aircraft still have humans on board. Remember, thousands of computers and other devices with batteries are shipped every day on planes from the factory to POS.
It isn't. As I understand it, the rules banning shipments of lithium batteries on passenger flights were created because of the UPS 747 and crew lost to a battery fire in 2010.

You could say the FAA was managing real risk - 2 pilots vs. a few hundred passengers.

TSA is sort of managing political risk - a loss due to fire is "better" than a loss due to terrorism. Similar to the lack of consideration to the increase in highway fatalities that may follow when they come up with a new disincentive to flying.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
middle age white male
Yeah - cuz NO one in countries where current issues are prevalent looks like a white person. You actually seen people in Syria, Lebanon, Iran - NOT everyone is tan. Boggles the mind how people in this country from a security point of view assume a tan complexion is verboten.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, B6 TrueBlue, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Vecturist14
I typically lurk, but thought I'd give my 2 cents on this debacle. From what I've read, it sounds like 'when' not 'if' a ban on electronics in the cabin will be declared by Kelly et al. I think the US will try to appease the EU by agreeing that batteries in the hold are bad, and set the limit at 1+1 (cell phone + 1 larger item). I can also see them implementing this on US flights (just to spread the pain and after the events on the LAX-HNL flight). The trade-off for allowing larger items will be a limit of one small/medium carry-on so TSA can 'properly screen' items.

Anyhow, just my two cents and my pessimistic view of what I've read.
I agree with this for the most part (the 1 Cell Phone + 1 Larger Electronic Item). But I think the better option would be not banning large electronics, but requiring that all electronics larger than a Smart Phone be:
  • Required to Power On at the Checkpoint
  • Removed from Carry On
  • ETD Swabbed
Old May 21, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by quillbin
I agree with this for the most part (the 1 Cell Phone + 1 Larger Electronic Item). But I think the better option would be not banning large electronics, but requiring that all electronics larger than a Smart Phone be:
  • Required to Power On at the Checkpoint
  • Removed from Carry On
  • ETD Swabbed
This is all that really is required. If it is a known part of screening should provide the deterrent needed.

I'd be fine having every single piece of camera gear swabbed(and my laptop).
Old May 21, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
This is all that really is required. If it is a known part of screening should provide the deterrent needed.

Depends on how reliable ETD testing really is. May be more TSA show than go.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

That'll drastically slow down the throughput.

TSA probably told Kelly that it would slow things down too much so easier just to ban things.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Let me tell you your mistake: Trying to apply logic to this situation. Logic is not an option. WE HAVE TO PROTECT OURSELVES FROM TEH TERRISTS!

If that means we crash a few planes due to LiIon battery fires in the holds where they can't be dealt with (unlike on a cargo flight) then so be it. We'll be safe from Evil Terrorists, even if we're dead.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
Let me tell you your mistake: Trying to apply logic to this situation. Logic is not an option. WE HAVE TO PROTECT OURSELVES FROM TEH TERRISTS!

If that means we crash a few planes due to LiIon battery fires in the holds where they can't be dealt with (unlike on a cargo flight) then so be it. We'll be safe from Evil Terrorists, even if we're dead.
I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why so many of my fellow American's have such a fetish when it comes to security surrounding terrorism but blithely ignore much greater safety concerns in our everyday lives.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Because a plane crashing will get much more media attention.

Cars crash every day. So much that any individual accident gets little if any coverage.

Maybe some local news if the victims were well-known.

An airliner going down for ANY reason will be big news. Especially if terrorism is involved.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by wco81

TSA probably told Kelly that it would slow things down too much so easier just to ban things.
Why not offer passengers a choice: either pay a large fee and show up at the airport earlier if you wish your large devices to be carried on, or check them for free. The person with a cheap Chromebook would probably opt to check it; the photographer carrying $20,000 of camera equipment or the business traveler with highly sensitive information on his laptop will gladly pay the fee in order not to be separated from his gear. Everyone wins.

I'd be fine with that, too. I don't mind my gear being given a serious look-over, I just don't want to be separated from it.

Last edited by TWA884; May 21, 2017 at 10:38 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old May 21, 2017, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
It wouldn't at all be shocking if the 3rd party airport security add on's like CLEAR position themselves to screen electronics properly outside the standard limits. I'm sure this current admin is looking at what "industry" can do to screen vs TSA. Would be a logistical nightmare as where do you screen those devices, how do you know they aren't tampered from the time they are screened to going through normal TSA, etc, etc.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American Security Protocol always goes for the maximum inconvenience and then works back.
Total ban will be so disruptive that arriving at the Security line three hours before boarding will become desirable. Many people will laud it as a concession. They count on that.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:22 pm

An airliner going down for ANY reason will be big news. Especially if terrorism is involved.
Right, but an airliner going down due to a "laptop bomb" is an IF. It may happen, but I view it as unlikely.

An airliner going down due to an LiIon fire in the hold? It's already happened once. It's a WHEN, not an IF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.