Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 10:33 pm

Any predictions on whether cables and the like will count as "electronics?"

It's all well and good if I can carry on my phone, but the battery won't last for a transpacific flight.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mauve

It's all well and good if I can carry on my phone, but the battery won't last for a transpacific flight.
My guess is everything larger than a cell phone regardless of what it is just like the current middle east ban. So cameras, spare batteries, ipads all banned.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I would be sort of surprised if passengers' cables (even brick cables) ended up hit by this ban. But I wouldn't be surprised if I ever again encounter a ban on electronics that also includes a ban on cables for electronics. There was at least one flight route in another country where electronic cables were also banned from the passenger cabin -- and that was around 20 years ago.

USB cables have been in the hands of passengers coming off these US ban-hit flights, even before they get access to any checked baggage from those flights.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would be sort of surprised if passengers' cables (even brick cables) ended up hit by this ban. But I wouldn't be surprised if I ever again encounter a ban on electronics that also includes a ban on cables for electronics. There was at least one flight route in another country where electronic cables were also banned from the passenger cabin -- and that was around 20 years ago.
It's irrational, but I think I'd rather fly with no phone than with a phone but no charger.

But it's increasingly difficult to manage without now that it's my lounge pass, boarding pass, Oyster/Ventra card, etc.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by wco81
At least people put up with the limited liquids on board and taking off shoes at airports because there have been incidents.
​​
Please elaborate on the "incidents" in relation to "limited liquids". Bunch of meatheads - none with tickets for actual flights - talking about "maybe we could" doesn't count. Neither does DHS dudes overdosing on Bruce Willis films.

TSA never​​​​​​​ gave a coherant justification for the ban, for the 3.4 oz exemption or for the freedom baggie. Sadly, after all these years, most passengers just assume there was a real reason.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Please elaborate on the "incidents" in relation to "limited liquids".
Please don't!

The topic of this thread is the ban on electronic devices on flights to the US, not liquids.

If you wish to debate the ban on liquids, please do so in one of the existing threads on that subject matter or start a new one.

Off-topic posts will be summarily deleted; repeat offenders will earn time off from their posting privileges.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; May 20, 2017 at 8:33 am Reason: Clarify
Old May 20, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Cables and Phone Chargers - report from DXB

Verified with two of our biz travelers at work coming back from Dubai to the US: No issues on a phone plug in charger and any USB cables for the phone - Irony they didn't stop their SMALL USB phone battery chargers - they didn't have a large USB battery pack so reports are those are allowed which is irony on why the ban is supposed to be here in the first place. They were told ANY accessories for their notebooks or iPad - e.g. full size two piece dell like charger bricks / full size macbook plug in charger, the larger high wattage iPad charger which can be used for iPhone had to be checked in. One of them saw that Nintendo DS's were not being allowed as they were outside the phone dimensions (think the smaller one may be too thick)

One of these guys has this same item I gave him: http://incharge.rocks/ . Says wasn't even looked at as it was on his keyring - suggest if cables start to become an issue, cable-less/short cables may be something you may want to carry.

This is the BEST overview I've seen of the items getting taken away on US bound flights. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/fly...ectronics-ban/
Old May 20, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Gold
I typically lurk, but thought I'd give my 2 cents on this debacle. From what I've read, it sounds like 'when' not 'if' a ban on electronics in the cabin will be declared by Kelly et al. I think the US will try to appease the EU by agreeing that batteries in the hold are bad, and set the limit at 1+1 (cell phone + 1 larger item). I can also see them implementing this on US flights (just to spread the pain and after the events on the LAX-HNL flight). The trade-off for allowing larger items will be a limit of one small/medium carry-on so TSA can 'properly screen' items.

Anyhow, just my two cents and my pessimistic view of what I've read.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The details of what was supposed to be a "man with laptop attacked cockpit" story.

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wire...-jets-47523840

Among the first to board were first class passengers Mark and Donna Basden, who found a laptop computer in a seat pocket in front of them.

The couple, from Albuquerque, New Mexico, assumed someone on a previous flight left it there but a flight attendant said it probably belonged to a man who was in the bathroom.

A man Donna Basden described as a "disheveled looking fellow" emerged and Mark Basden gave him the laptop. The man scowled, took the laptop and opened it and closed it and then tried to sit in another first class seat, Mark Basden said.
Read the whole story and decide for yourself whether this wasn't a cynical ginning up of a non event to try and induce enough fear to let Kelly bully boy his ridiculous plan through. They scrambled fighter jets? For this guy? Sure.
Question - anyone checked Kelly's relationship with companies like Fed Ex which could find a while new business opportunity here.
I don't trust this guy anymore than the rest of the Homeland Security crooks we've endured.

Last edited by rickg523; May 20, 2017 at 11:10 am
Old May 20, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If it was a false flag, they're quickly trying to bury it because it's hard to come up with a good reason why drunk guy was ever allowed to board after getting cited for trying to open a security door a few hours earlier. If I was on the EU end, I'd be pondering how I'm supposed to take US law enforcement actions seriously after they let that happen.

I also suspect that whoever let him on the plane is getting a talk to and possible retraining on spotting passengers in altered states.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

Cables will now be categorized as garrotes and therefore banned.

As will

Old May 20, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Cables will now be categorized as garrotes and therefore banned.
I brought that up Oct 2001 when I had a TINY screwdriver taken away at a pre-TSA checkpoint. Cables

Last edited by NickP 1K; May 20, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
Well, at least thinkpads were , at one point, manufactured with a bay that could take nothing, an ODD or a battery. Beyond that, yeah, this is a great idea.
Yeah, I have yet to own a laptop that didn't have a variable weight.

The first had a bay that was nothing/optical/HDD/battery. Since then there have been no such bays but every machine has supported multiple drives, although changing them is a power down/remove battery/use screwdriver task.

I don't think it's a showstopper, though--each machine would have a range of acceptable weight.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
So how would a 1+1 ban affect a CPAP?

I can sleep without one, but it's not great sleep. But it is a medically prescribed device, and my pulmonologist would throw a fit if he found out I was routinely not taking it aboard.

So if my choice is laptop or CPAP and not both, I now have a substantial impediment to performing my job function, thanks to a Federal decision about my medical status.

That will be interesting to see play out.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
One of these guys has this same item I gave him: http://incharge.rocks/ . Says wasn't even looked at as it was on his keyring - suggest if cables start to become an issue, cable-less/short cables may be something you may want to carry.
Good idea, thanks. I've never really liked those, but I think I'll pick up a couple.

I don't even have any international travel planned, but I'm no longer confident the ban won't hit domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.