Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The TSA pre line at T4 phx today came out into the general waiting area. This is nuts. They need to raise the price to $500 a year. That should shorten the lines.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
The TSA pre line at T4 phx today came out into the general waiting area. This is nuts. They need to raise the price to $500 a year. That should shorten the lines.
No, TSA should use Pre style screening as the initial screening protocol for everyone and all lanes would be more efficient. If someone alarms then deal with the alarm.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
TSA at PHX seems to go out of its way to come up with new and unusual ways to engage in epic stupidity and uselessness. And I say this as someone who dealt with IAH's name-game on a weekly basis.
what name game?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
what name game?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...your-name.html
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
TSA pre-check guidelines

Can someone explain to me what are the guidelines that are used by airlines to determine who gets TSA pre-check. I travel approximately once a month for business and about 4 times a year for pleasure, typically using FF miles for those vacation trips. Probably 14 out of every 15 flights I am designated as TSA pre-check. My husband, who only travels about 3 times a year with me on vacation trips, almost always gets TSA pre-check as well. However, some of my colleagues who travel as much or more than me for business, rarely if ever get TSA pre-check. I don't understand why.

I typically fly AA, but occasionally Delta. They usually fly Delta. I am 25 years older than they are. They have status, I don't right now (haven't updated my profile recently).

Can you help me understand the guidelines? I'm not complaining, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks

Last edited by vandykes44; Oct 6, 2016 at 6:06 pm Reason: Added more info
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:34 pm

There's a "proprietary algorithm" for who gets precheck without paying for pre-check.

As we all know, "proprietary algorithm" is TSA-speak for "pretty much random".
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by vandykes44
Can someone explain to me what are the guidelines that are used by airlines to determine who gets TSA pre-check. I travel approximately once a month for business and about 4 times a year for pleasure, typically using FF miles for those vacation trips. Probably 14 out of every 15 flights I am designated as TSA pre-check. My husband, who only travels about 3 times a year with me on vacation trips, almost always gets TSA pre-check as well. However, some of my colleagues who travel as much or more than me for business, rarely if ever get TSA pre-check. I don't understand why.

I typically fly AA, but occasionally Delta. They usually fly Delta. I am 25 years older than they are. They have status, I don't right now (haven't updated my profile recently).

Can you help me understand the guidelines? I'm not complaining, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks
.vandykes44
Great question and I believe that your query will be best addressed in the TS/S Forum. There is a lot of expertise on this topic
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airlines do not determine who gets selected for Managed Inclusion Pre Check, TSA makes those selections.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandykes44

This seems to be the driving force.

My observations:

<50, very rare.
>65, light load (airport, not the passenger), almost certain.
>65, likely.

Flight experience doesn't seem to matter, I've seen foreigners with no idea of handling TSA get it.

A model that fits would be that if they haven't checked in enough Pre-Check passengers they do a managed inclusion on the oldest regular passengers.

Unfortunately, I can't explain the Jekyll & Hyde I married--outbound she's more likely than not to get Pre-Check but on US-bound flights she's liable to get SSSSed. The only things I can think of to possibly explain the SSSSs is that she has a foreign name and a foreign birthplace. (But not from a country of interest. I, however, have been in 4 countries of interest but long enough ago that they weren't of interest at the time. I don't know if CBP even knows that, though--we hit 20+ countries on that trip, I'm pretty sure my father listed continents rather than countries on the form because of the size of the list. I know he did that on our second such trip.)
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:25 pm
Suspended

What I can't stand is the people who have no clue what Pre-Check is/entails. Usually I just skip past them or give them the death stare, with little to some confrontation.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by airplanegod
What I can't stand is the people who have no clue what Pre-Check is/entails. Usually I just skip past them or give them the death stare, with little to some confrontation.
You should reserve the death stares for the appropriate people: TSA who gave people Pre without explaining what it was or TSA who enrolled people who paid $85 and found out that no two Pre lanes operate the same.

Regardless of how they got into the Pre lane, the people responsible for any confusion or delays are the TSOs who stand around playing with their cellphones, barking and indulging in personal conversation, instead of guiding people on what the rules of the day are. It's not like they update the signs to reflect what's going on that day.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
You should reserve the death stares for the appropriate people: TSA who gave people Pre without explaining what it was or TSA who enrolled people who paid $85 and found out that no two Pre lanes operate the same.

Regardless of how they got into the Pre lane, the people responsible for any confusion or delays are the TSOs who stand around playing with their cellphones, barking and indulging in personal conversation, instead of guiding people on what the rules of the day are. It's not like they update the signs to reflect what's going on that day.
Good points. It's important to keep in mind that TSA is giving these people Pre Check but does nothing to prepare them to know the procedures of Pre. Perhaps offering some kindly help rather than giving fellow travelers a " Death Stare" might help move the line along benefiting everyone.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:20 pm

Meanwhile, a doctor with Pre via his GE membership tweets a complaint on Ask TSA.

The next day, he doesn't have Pre on his BP.

Coincidence? He would like to know if it's retaliation for negative feedback. Ask TSA is 'looking into it'.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I had coffee with a very good friend yesterday. She fles maybe once every 5 years, if that, and just came back from a trip to PDX. She was just so excited because, she said, "I got this little thing on my boarding pass. I didn't have to wait in the big line and they told me to leave my shoes and jacket on and I didn't even have to take out my little liquid baggie thing".

She had no clue what it was or what she was doing. She said everyone was trying to rush her and she was just trying to get her stuff organized before she put it on the belt. WTH did I bother getting Nexus for??
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:55 pm

Anyone who's paid for Pre, and especially anyone who has paid for Pre but encountered closed Pre lines or Pre-lite lines that require unpacking LGAs and laptops, has to wonder what they've paid $85 for when TSA clearly has the necessary information available to pre-clear (or not) most of us, even infrequent fliers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.