Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Often1
Despite all the rants, I find Pre-Check to be great value (100% with GE). Saves time, effort, stress and is generally painless.

Even when the Managed Inclusionees troop through, I have found that even lines which look long do not take long. True, people putting their shoes on the belt may add a few seconds, but it's not world-ending.

History, having nothing to do with TSA, shows that when there are security lapses, security is tightened not loosened. The impact of the various TSA failings over the past 18 months are not going to lead to a less rigorous experience, no matter what people think.

From a self-interest perspective, Pre-check is faster and cheap. That's all I care about.
It is only faster and cheaper when it is offered. As others have noted, Pre is often unavailable at airports like PHX; on other occasions, Pre is only available at one checkpoint or during limited hours, leaving early morning/early evening/middle of the day fliers out-of-luck. Other airports routinely merge Pre and non-Pre pax and adopt a limited form of Pre, the same advantage given for free to under-12s and over-75s.

Glad it works for you, but that says more about the particular airports and checkpoints and schedules you fly than it does about the program overall.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
History, having nothing to do with TSA, shows that when there are security lapses, security is tightened not loosened.
My suggestion is to find more history to read and read more, for history shows that the outcomes vary far more than your post suggests.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I feel like I'm arguing about angels dancing on head of pins, but, sure ...

How you answer this question depends on what you mean by a "real-world test". I'm sure there's a TSA press release somewhere that crows about one scanner at one checkpoint finding one item that wouldn't have been found with a WTMD.

Oh, hey, look, here's one: http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/02/tsa-week...-firearms.html --- though you have to look through the comments to discover that TSA is crowing about the scanner finding a ceramic knife a passenger concealed in a sock.

I find it unlikely that the AIT scanners are allowing *more* contraband past a checkpoint than the WTMDs did. And since allowing exactly the same amount of contraband past a checkpoint is extremely unlikely, I'm left to conclude that the AIT scanners are allowing *less* contraband past a checkpoint.

But I don't want us to be debating about being "safer". Implicit behind that argument is the "anything for security" mindset --- "safer" is always better than "not safer", no matter how much money we spend, no matter how many civil liberties we give up, no matter how much time we spend. That mindset does not serve us well. Conceding the point about being "safer" allows us to move directly to the debate we really ought to be having.
I know how people can easily fool the strip search machines to smuggle contraband guns and bullets by them. Smuggling the same contraband via fully-functional WTMDs is much more difficult. This is why DHS Secretary and his Euro counterparts are considering requiring passengers to use both the strip search machines and the WTMDs except under specified exemption allowances.

Just because something is caught more via one means than another doesn't necessarily mean that one means makes things "safer" than the other means.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:49 pm

Interesting discussion. Not sure if its a "head in the sand" attitude or a "it wont happen to me" attitude.

Richard Reid shoes were packed with explosives = shoes off.
Water Bottles were filled with explosives = 3.4 oz liquid requirement
Underwear packed with explosives = scanning machines.

There is merit to the requirements.

A metal detector ONLY would not provide much security. Metal detectors will not detect explosives.

What differentiates Precheck from regular screening, is background checks and possibly continuous monitoring of some sort i.e. CAPPS, Secure Flight, No fly list, etc.

But to say "Everyone, shoes on, laptop in bag, do not remove liquids; hope skip or jump through the metal detector UNTIL otherwise needed." Is to ignore the very real possibilities of catastrophe.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Water Bottles were filled with explosives
No they weren't.

You are right about the shoe carnival and the NOSs. People in other countries must be stupid. Because they don't do the shoe carnival or the NOSs, they lose one or two aircraft a week to terrorist attacks. When are they going to wake up!!?!?!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting discussion. Not sure if its a "head in the sand" attitude or a "it wont happen to me" attitude.

A metal detector ONLY would not provide much security. Metal detectors will not detect explosives.

What differentiates Precheck from regular screening, is background checks and possibly continuous monitoring of some sort i.e. CAPPS, Secure Flight, No fly list, etc.

But to say "Everyone, shoes on, laptop in bag, do not remove liquids; hope skip or jump through the metal detector UNTIL otherwise needed." Is to ignore the very real possibilities of catastrophe.
I guess that means that Pre-Check passengers should have to remove their shoes just in case one person in 1,000,000,000 might have explosives in their shoes. Can't be to careful, right!

There are somewhere around 1.8 million people boarding domestic flights each day (based on 2010 figures) so surely just one of those people in the last 10 years had a shoe bomb that went undetected or was detected but not advertised.

If the answer is none in 10 years look at all the time and effort wasted on
x-raying of shoes.

Show me the ROI of current TSA procedures. Show why the procedures are effective by using some real evidence of effectiveness.

It's like TSA saying why looking at ID's are important except they could never answer the question. Why look at an ID if it is not compared to some database? And why does ID matter if the person is screened for WEI?

Pre-Check isn't the problem, it is TSA and their inability to show why what they are doing moves the security ball towards the goal.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Pre-Check isn't the problem, it is TSA and their inability to show why what they are doing moves the security ball towards the goal.
Suppose they can show it. Who cares? We're still not analyzing whether or not the cost (tangible and intangible) is worth it.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:22 pm

It's like TSA saying why looking at ID's are important except they could never answer the question. Why look at an ID if it is not compared to some database? And why does ID matter if the person is screened for WEI?

From Bill Bryson's I'm a Stranger Here Myself when told he was required to show a photo ID in order to check in at an airport, long before 9/11:

"But why is it the rule? Do you honestly believe that you are going to thwart a terrorist by requiring him to show you a laminated photograph of himself? Do you think a person who could plan and execute a sophisticated hijacking or other illegal airborne event would be unable to contrive some form of convincing artificial identification. Has it occurred to you that it might be more productive, vis-a-vis terrorism, if you employed someone who was actually awak and perhaps with an IQ above that of a small mollusk to monitor the TV screens on your x-ray machines?"

The more things change.....
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suppose they can show it. Who cares? We're still not analyzing whether or not the cost (tangible and intangible) is worth it.
Isn't improving (or ensuring) the security of commercial aviation TSA's prime mission?

If you only want to base decisions on cost can't we afford to lose a plane here and there?

That question may sound cold but if you think about it every airline that operates today knows there is a chance that any given flight may not end well. Yet they fly the airplanes and people pay their money for the convenience of air travel all while knowing that there is a tiny small chance of not arriving safely.

I guess a case could be made that TSA is not worth paying for at any cost.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

The strip search machines don't detect explosives. ETD means detect explosives.

Which water bottles were filled with explosives? None brought onto planes by passengers. Contraband explosives can be interdicted without banning water and other harmless liquid bottles.

The strip search machines were already being sought by the TSA before the failed underwear bomber. They were even in use before the failed underwear bomber was cleared to fly to the US. And strip search machines aren't needed to stop a so-called underwear bomber.

Shoes off isn't required to stop a so-called shoe bomber.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:48 am

Isn't improving (or ensuring) the security of commercial aviation TSA's prime mission?

If you only want to base decisions on cost can't we afford to lose a plane here and there?
Not just cost: cost versus benefits.

Look, we could have "perfect" security aboard commercial air travel. All we have to do is do what "Con Air" does. Restrain all passengers with handcuffs, ankle chains, and waist chains. Voila; no hijacking possible.

Yes, I'm being ridiculous. Somewhere along the line, we made the decision that the social cost of treating passengers like convicted felons was much higher than the benefit of an absolutely secure flight.

And yet, we're slowly getting closer and closer to that model. Locking passengers in the cabin (technically, I suppose it's the pilots locked in the cockpit, but that depends on your perspective). Background checks for ordinary passengers (SecureFlight, PreCheck, etc.). Confiscation of anything remotely weapon-like. And so on.

Yes, any liberty given to passengers opens up the possibility of loss of life or property due to a criminal incident. And we live with that possibility. We just need to acknowledge that tradeoff explicitly, so we can talk about it.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not just cost: cost versus benefits.

Look, we could have "perfect" security aboard commercial air travel. All we have to do is do what "Con Air" does. Restrain all passengers with handcuffs, ankle chains, and waist chains. Voila; no hijacking possible.

Yes, I'm being ridiculous. Somewhere along the line, we made the decision that the social cost of treating passengers like convicted felons was much higher than the benefit of an absolutely secure flight.

And yet, we're slowly getting closer and closer to that model. Locking passengers in the cabin (technically, I suppose it's the pilots locked in the cockpit, but that depends on your perspective). Background checks for ordinary passengers (SecureFlight, PreCheck, etc.). Confiscation of anything remotely weapon-like. And so on.

Yes, any liberty given to passengers opens up the possibility of loss of life or property due to a criminal incident. And we live with that possibility. We just need to acknowledge that tradeoff explicitly, so we can talk about it.
http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fil...t_in_Brief.pdf

The TSA 2016 budget (page 57) is over $7 Billion dollars. Not all of that goes to airport screening operations.

A Boeing 787 Dreamliner cost up to around around $300 million each.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner

Unit cost
787-8: US$224.6 million (2015)[3]
787-9: US$264.6 million (2015)[3]
787-10: US$306.1 million (2015)[3]
You could lose several airplanes with the people in them and not even come close to balancing the cost to fund TSA.

So we could go from the extremes of no security and take our chances or to Con Air security which would only resolve internal threats.

I think there is some point between those two extremes that give reasonable security against current threats.

I do not believe that Body Scanners are part of that solution but do believe that efforts should be mounted to develop a functional WTMD/ETP machine with a high throughput for passenger screening.

Unfortunately there will always be exceptions needed to accommodate people who have some type of limitation but those exception should be minimized as much as possible during development on any new screening device.

In the meantime, Pre-Check screening standards should be used for everyone ramping up the screening as needed per individual, expanded use of HHMD, and continued use of ETD. The removal of shoes, belts and light jackets is a waste of time, bogs down the screening lanes, and provides little if any increase in safety. Same for restrictions on LGA's.

WBI and Pat Downs should be used for secondary screenings exclusively.

I think a hard look at the cost of TSA needs to be undertaken. We have far to many government agencies, including TSA, with extremely large budgets and I am doubtful if the public is getting their monies worth.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Canines? Seriously? I guess they took us too seriously when we called them "barkers."

And frankly, I'm ashamed of all of you for missing such an easy pun.

Mike
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeef
Canines? Seriously? I guess they took us too seriously when we called them "barkers."

Mike
Who let the dogs out? Woof, woof. A dachshund, er .... I mean a Daschle.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
So now the barking will be accompanied by 'getting to know you' sniffs of your resistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.