Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I fly out of JFK T8 (AA) a lot, I'm in PreCheck from my GE status. Very often, I encounter "large" families (probably, husband, wife, lots of children, aunts uncles) on the P-C line. They have no idea of how to pass through security: shoes on/off, what goes on the belt (or in carry-on) etc. But the worst part is they have LOTS of carry-ons clogging up the conveyor belt so that the clearance process comes to a halt for several minutes.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
I fly out of JFK T8 (AA) a lot, I'm in PreCheck from my GE status. Very often, I encounter "large" families (probably, husband, wife, lots of children, aunts uncles) on the P-C line. They have no idea of how to pass through security: shoes on/off, what goes on the belt (or in carry-on) etc. But the worst part is they have LOTS of carry-ons clogging up the conveyor belt so that the clearance process comes to a halt for several minutes.
Didn't know the amount of carry on was a Pre Check consideration.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
TSA is 'word-smithing' again - changing the Pre-Check displays.

The newer, abbreviated version just says you may get to keep your shoes/belts/jackets on - no mention of LGAs or laptops.

Perhaps this is to accommodate FSDs who don't want to support the program. There will be one line, one TDC, and the only difference for Pre pax will be that they don't have to disrobe.

This is in line with PHX's practices this year. Real efficient - not. Pre pax join regular pax in one line, but after everything is loaded onto the belt, pax have to rescan their BP/show ID to see if they are eligible to keep shoes/belts/jackets on.

If a Pre pax forgot to keep his BP/ID out, he'll be forced to do a last-minute disrobing before submitting to the scan. On the other side, Pre folks (particularly women without pockets) slow the line down because they want to re-secure their BP/ID before grabbing their things off the belt and exiting.

Bait-and-switch. Illegal in the private sector, completely legal with TSA.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:07 am

LGA Terminal A (Marine Air Terminal) that just has Delta flights to/from IAD and ORD has two xray machines, one AIT and one metal detector.
No pre-check of documents you walk right up to the TSO for document check. While there is one sign for Pre with a single rope line division, I've never seen it used and there is only one document checker.

Every time thru there I'm told that there is no TSA Pre "today" but I can keep my shoes one but the xray is not "setup" for me to have my laptop in the bag.

Is that true?
The xray has a different setting for TSA Pre?

It's 50/50 on the use of the AIT, I've seen them switch to it when there is a line but half the time it's not used for everyone.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
LGA Terminal A (Marine Air Terminal) that just has Delta flights to/from IAD and ORD has two xray machines, one AIT and one metal detector.
No pre-check of documents you walk right up to the TSO for document check. While there is one sign for Pre with a single rope line division, I've never seen it used and there is only one document checker.

Every time thru there I'm told that there is no TSA Pre "today" but I can keep my shoes one but the xray is not "setup" for me to have my laptop in the bag.

Is that true?

It's 50/50 on the use of the AIT, I've seen them switch to it when there is a line but half the time it's not used for everyone.
Is TSA suggesting that the x-ray used for regular lines is less capable of peering inside of baggage than the one used on the Pre lines?

If that is true then why wouldn't TSA use the more capable x-ray on non-Pre lines since that is where the greatest threat lies?

I think you have seen an example of TSA dishonesty in work.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Brighton Line

Is that true?
If both PreCheck and non-PreCheck passengers use the same line, how is the x-ray operator supposed to tell which bags belong to PreCheck passengers and which ones don't?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is TSA suggesting that the x-ray used for regular lines is less capable of peering inside of baggage than the one used on the Pre lines?

If that is true then why wouldn't TSA use the more capable x-ray on non-Pre lines since that is where the greatest threat lies?

I think you have seen an example of TSA dishonesty in work.
It's more likely that they need to reconfigure the software side of things. I think they're running automatic image processing to find "suspicious" items, and you'd presumably need to turn down the sensitivity for Pre since laptops are allowed there and/or reconfigure it to not flag laptops combined with other items.

And in that case, you really do want a different configuration for each line, and ideally you'd make it hard to switch to avoid accidentally running the pre-configuration on a non-pre line.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:21 am

Complaints about PreCheck abound at both @TSA and @AskTSA and seem to be growing.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I booked a bunch of mileage award ticket trips for a bunch of visiting foreign friends this month, and all of them got PreCheck on their boarding passes when we checked them in. I am talking about foreign nationals adults, aged 18-45 years old, visiting the US under the US VWP; and there was nothing entered into the KTN field on the PNRs and no history of elite status in any airline loyalty program.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I booked a bunch of mileage award ticket trips for a bunch of visiting foreign friends this month, and all of them got PreCheck on their boarding passes when we checked them in. I am talking about foreign nationals adults, aged 18-45 years old, visiting the US under the US VWP; and there was nothing entered into the KTN field on the PNRs and no history of elite status in any airline loyalty program.
Direct from TSA's PreCheck requirements website:

The TSA Pre✓® program membership is open to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents.
Did they get Pre due to your booking via mileage awards?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Direct from TSA's PreCheck requirements website:

Those requirements only concern joining the Pre program by registering for it with TSA, but not the use of Pre itself which can be granted on a flight by flight basis. (Further: in addition to such random selections, GE membership grants precheck privileges without Pre membership to many non-US persons.)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by televisor
Those requirements only concern joining the Pre program by registering for it with TSA, but not the use of Pre itself which can be granted on a flight by flight basis. (Further: in addition to such random selections, GE membership grants precheck privileges without Pre membership to many non-US persons.)
About the visiting foreign friends of whom I was talking as getting Pre on boarding passes this month, they aren't GE members, don't have KTNs and are not members of any trusted traveler program.

It's almost certain that there is nothing random about it when across so many domestic flights with each flight having each passenger on separately-ticketed itineraries that they all got PreCheck when we checked them in online.

If this happens for the third month in a row this year .....

I don't know for sure why they all got it. Some of their names are so unique that I can pretty much rule out identity confusion as a factor.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 25, 2016 at 7:04 am
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by televisor
So TSA is giving away Pre to those who don't qualify to apply? I thought the purpose of giving away Pre was to entice people to enroll.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:54 am
Suspended

So TSA is giving away Pre to those who don't qualify to apply? I thought the purpose of giving away Pre was to entice people to enroll.
Yes. Giving it to people who can't enroll seems to be something they are doing too, although I'm not sure how that entices or turns off people from enrolling.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes. Giving it to people who can't enroll seems to be something they are doing too, although I'm not sure how that entices or turns off people from enrolling.
Because they'll get it often. Before enrolling, I kept a tally of how many times I got precheck for free last year.. 60% of the time, I'd get it. Which made it all the more harder to justify actually paying for it when I'd often get it for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.