Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by ashill
Though I agree with most of what you say, a nitpick here: the opportunity cost isn't $7.7B a year. Whether screening were conducted by private contractors or better spent by a government agency -- perhaps even one still called the TSA -- the cost would be substantial. It could well be less than $7.7B, but not all that much less. And I'm very skeptical of any claim (not one you've made) that private contractors would do it for appreciably less given equivalent screening standards (whether those standards are current general TSA standards, current PreCheck standards, or something else).
If we wanted a reasonable idea of costs and savings, perhaps next time we send favored TSA folks on a fun jaunt to Paris or HongKong or London to share information, we should advise our folks to actually listen instead of just talking. Listen and look at the costs, per pax of security in London or Paris or HongKong. While they're at it, our favored TSOs could also ask for data on average pax wait times at these airports.

Thanks for these numbers. Though it's important to remember that it's a small fraction of the traveling public that travels five times or more a year. This academic paper (behind a paywall; I can access it through my university library) runs some numbers, albeit with a lot of clearly-spelled-out assumptions which are necessary because they're only using publicly available data. They estimate that the break-even point is around ten screenings per year: for passengers who travel at least that frequently, TSA would break even by offering PreCheck for free assuming that get at least 15 million or so people who travel that frequently into the program (and that that many people even exist, which isn't a certainty).

That's the point of the argument for reducing or waiving the application fee: if they get more people into PreCheck, then they can realize the lower cost by appreciably reducing the volume in the regular lanes.
The best advertisement for Pre is convenient, clearly labelled Pre lanes available at all hours at all airports.

Watching folks speed by you in an open, fully functioning Pre lane is like watching folks speed by you in the HOV lane. No words needed.

The worst advertisement is a Pre enrollment sign mounted next to a closed Pre lane, while Pre pax keep walking up to the closed lane, shaking their heads in disbelief, and reluctantly joining the back of the regular line. Or to be told it's Pre Lite time and have to start unpacking and disrobing.

Slightly OT: The biggest slowdowns I've observed are not caused by 'free Pre' pax. They've been caused by offering 'Pre Lite' instead of what people paid for, so people are suddenly having to unpack and disrobe unexpectedly. Or they're the special 'enhanced' Pre I've witnessed recently at PHX - only one electronic per bag, so the Pre lane came to a huge slowdown. No bins, just the doggie bowls, so not only did all the extra electronics have to come out, each had to be in its own separate doggie bowl.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Though I agree with most of what you say, a nitpick here: the opportunity cost isn't $7.7B a year. Whether screening were conducted by private contractors or better spent by a government agency -- perhaps even one still called the TSA -- the cost would be substantial. It could well be less than $7.7B, but not all that much less. And I'm very skeptical of any claim (not one you've made) that private contractors would do it for appreciably less given equivalent screening standards (whether those standards are current general TSA standards, current PreCheck standards, or something else).
You're right (I agree that private contractors won't do it materially cheaper at the same levels of screening) - obviously the intent would be to go back to lower cost and more efficient screening methods. But you're right, that lower cost is still greater than $0 so, de facto, the opportunity cost is less than $7.7 billion a year.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
You're right (I agree that private contractors won't do it materially cheaper at the same levels of screening) - obviously the intent would be to go back to lower cost and more efficient screening methods. But you're right, that lower cost is still greater than $0 so, de facto, the opportunity cost is less than $7.7 billion a year.
I think there are plenty of opportunities for private contractors to save taxpayers big time.

The taxpayers won't get saddled with paying federal pensions to private contractor employees. I suspect private contractors will also lobby to cut the (IMHO) exceedingly generous uniform allowance (at one time, greater than a military officer's allowance) and to reduce the costs of the two-week vacation training at the "academy", maybe by eliminating the special 'training' clothing and cutting the 'watch bombs go boom' sessions.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If anything, I am seeing Pre-Check moving faster and with fewer requirements than in the past. Some of that may be due to the fact that people aren't holding up the line thinking that they still need to take off their shoes and all that. But, I'm just not seeing problems.
ashill and TWA884 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contractors can do it cheaper. Payroll cost are lower for non-government workers.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Contractors can do it cheaper. Payroll cost are lower for non-government workers.
I said materially cheaper. If the TSA is setting the requirements, all you're avoiding is the 20% FERS tax while adding an extra 10% of contracting and administrative overhead costs so net net you're saving a few hundred million across a $7.7B capability. It's not a game changer.

Contractors do things significantly cheaper than government when there are clear KPIs/outcomes that can be managed to and it is a relatively commoditized service applicable to both governmental and non-governmental uses. Unless the contractor had the authority to change processes and procedures then there are far fewer efficiencies that the free market can bring.

Airports can already choose to use private contractors if they wish and it doesn't really save any money. SFO does this as an example.
ashill likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:31 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Airports can already choose to use private contractors if they wish and it doesn't really save any money.
Unless something has changed (and I missed it), the TSA must give its permission for such a change. And the TSA has not been interested in giving such approvals. Last I recall, the Sanford, FL airport sought to make the change and had to fight the TSA in order to even be allowed to consider it and gather data via study.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Yes, I know they do. My point is, unless they have been vetted to the same level as a PreCheck applicant, they shouldn't.

My point exactly - does each and every member of the US military go through a periodic background check of the same or greater depth than the one a PreCheck applicant endures? If so, then sure, they should continue to get PreCheck-equivalent screening. If not, then they should be removed from the line along with all of the other regular people who haven't had the background check.

As I said in an earlier post, that's a separate issue, but I do agree with you - PreCheck equivalent screening should be the standard for all travelers. It should be WTMD and HHMD, ETD swabs and occasional PoochChecks, with WBI used only as an escalated methodology for those instances where the HHMD can't resolve a WTMD alert or as a voluntary option for those with medical metal. Pat-downs should never be conducted by TSOs - only by law enforcement officers as part of an actual criminal investigation, after probable cause or clearly articulable suspicion (i.e. an unresolvable alert from the metal detectors or WBI).

But for right now, we're discussing how PreCheck should be operated in the current setup.

You're misinterpreting what we're saying - we're not saying that "everyone should have a privilege", we're saying that that PreCheck level screening should be the standard, not a privilege requiring a background check and a fee, and that the invasive and abusive screening methodologies currently used as the standard should be used on a gradually escalating scale, only when the standard screening turns up an alert that can't be resolved by less invasive screening.

PreCheck equivalent screening is sufficient to keep us safe, when combined with reinforced cockpit doors, additional in-flight procedures, and a more cautious passenger mindset. Theoretically, the new paradigm also includes improved LEO and intelligence work that will stop bad actors long before they ever get near a plane.

The main point of all of this, and in fact the main point of most discussions on this board, is that the current screening methodology, as implemented by TSA, is not only useless, it's worse than useless - it actually makes us LESS safe, while violating our Constitutional rights, abusing and traumatizing millions of innocent people, and costing an insane amount of money on a yearly basis. Switching to PreCheck-equivalent screening as the standard, with the more invasive methodologies reserved for cases of actual alerts, coupled with the elimination of stupidity of the shoe carnival, the absurdity of the War on Water, and the irrelevancy of "all electronics out", would eliminate most if not all of those negatives about TSA while still keeping us safe from the most likely threats.
We will have to agree to disagree on this. Having attended meetings that demonstrated what can be done, in every intimate detail, I'm ok with things as done. Prior to my meeting, I would have agreed with you 100%.

So we may be on the same page, partially. TSA, like many things government, is about as inefficient as it gets, with how many people standing around doing nothing at each airport? I joke that if 10 people are working, there are 10 supervisors playing solitaire in the background.

I am not at all a conspiracy theorist, and I am not even anti-government. What I support, however, is risk-based decision making when it comes to social policies.

The TSA literally kills hundreds to thousands of people per year while demonstrably creating no material safety benefit. The TSA kills people by:
  • Encouraging people to drive on shorter trips resulting in an estimated 100-400 increased deaths per year from car accidents
  • The opportunity cost of spending $7.7B a year (the TSA budget) on useless screening rather than on things that save people's lives. The statistical value of a life used for regulation setting and the like is anywhere between $5-10M per person. This means that TSA funds could be redirected to safety features that save lives (e.g., road safety improvements, emission controls, healthcare) and save anywhere from 750-1500 lives per year
The TSA's screening is demonstrably useless given that most of Europe and many other countries use more pre-check like screening approaches, face higher risk profiles (as evidenced by more low complexity events - e.g., running trucks through crowds), and do not have planes falling down from the sky left and right.

The above does not even consider the more immeasurable damage to the social psyche of having traditional rights degraded and abuses such as sexual assault normalized under the guise of safety.

This isn't about longing for pre-9/11 days, it is about risk-based decision making and not having ludicrous policies.
You have much higher expectations than I do of the govt. I gave that idea up many decades ago, as I realized it was wasted effort on my part to change things.

For starters, airfare on short distances is 99% airline. Once we allowed the mergers, competition went away. My COS-ABQ doubled in price after the mergers, now I'm often looking at $800 for such a trip. Yes I will drive it now, as it's much cheaper.

Never felt sexually assaulted, ever, in security. But I'm ok with going to the doctor for the invasive physicals, I'm ok being felt up at the airport. Doesn't bother me because I don't care. It's number 8,000 on my priority list.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 11, 2018 at 8:31 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:15 am

But I'm ok with going to the doctor for the invasive physicals, I'm ok being felt up at the airport.
False equivalency. You choose your doctor and you can refuse your doctor's probing; you cannot do that with the TSA.
jfunk138 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This thread is about managed inclusion, not about invasive pat downs or the TSA's general risk-based policy decision making. We have threads with recent activity on the latter subject matters.

Please try to keep your posts somewhat relevant to the topic of this thread (FlyerTalk Rule 5).

Future off-topic messages will be summarily deleted without further notice. Repeat offenders will be subject to discipline (FlyerTalk Rule 23). Please consider this to be your one and only warning!

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 11, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by petaluma1
False equivalency. You choose your doctor and you can refuse your doctor's probing; you cannot do that with the TSA.
So drive then.

I choose to pay in order to speed up things while I travel, both Global Entry and CLEAR make my life easier. I value my time, and love not removing my shoes, belt, computer, etc. Well worth the money. On the rare occasion that TSA selects me for additional screening, I don't care, do what you need to. I often ask for a kiss first, but I have to yet get that before the non issue rub down.

The inclusion thing drives me crazy because the candidates included refuse to believe what they are told, holding up the line for sometimes minutes. Double the price, even triple it, but stop including people with no clue.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
So drive then.

I choose to pay in order to speed up things while I travel, both Global Entry and CLEAR make my life easier. I value my time, and love not removing my shoes, belt, computer, etc. Well worth the money. On the rare occasion that TSA selects me for additional screening, I don't care, do what you need to. I often ask for a kiss first, but I have to yet get that before the non issue rub down.

The inclusion thing drives me crazy because the candidates included refuse to believe what they are told, holding up the line for sometimes minutes. Double the price, even triple it, but stop including people with no clue.
(bolding mine)

I'm sorry, I blame that 100% on TSA culture. I have never seen that kind of problem anywhere else, even at major international hubs where there's a bigger variation in languages than I've encountered at US checkpoints.

TSA isn't consistent - from airport to airport, checkpoint to checkpoint, screener to screener. There have been reports from pax feeling incredibly awkward when two TSOs would start arguing a screening point in front of the pax in question. Couple that with a strongly US tendency to bark or yell at pax who get anything wrong, and it's hardly surprising some pax are extra cautious about double-checking any alleged relaxation of the rules.

Better to keep your shoes on and take your belongings apart unnecessarily than to guess wrong and get yelled at for daring to presume that you understand this whole 'flavor of the day', 'always keep them guessing' approach to security.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
(bolding mine)

I'm sorry, I blame that 100% on TSA culture. I have never seen that kind of problem anywhere else, even at major international hubs where there's a bigger variation in languages than I've encountered at US checkpoints.

TSA isn't consistent - from airport to airport, checkpoint to checkpoint, screener to screener. There have been reports from pax feeling incredibly awkward when two TSOs would start arguing a screening point in front of the pax in question. Couple that with a strongly US tendency to bark or yell at pax who get anything wrong, and it's hardly surprising some pax are extra cautious about double-checking any alleged relaxation of the rules.

Better to keep your shoes on and take your belongings apart unnecessarily than to guess wrong and get yelled at for daring to presume that you understand this whole 'flavor of the day', 'always keep them guessing' approach to security.
This is what TSA has to say about inconsistency:

While procedures are the same nationwide, interpretation may result in slight variation from airport to airport & situation to situation. Also, some element of uncertainty and randomness in security operations is necessary to disrupt terrorist planning and attempted attacks.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
So drive then.

Not blaming you personally, but I would note that this is EXACTLY the result the TSA wanted when they invented ExtortionCheck.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This is what TSA has to say about inconsistency:
I've noted before, other countries have much smaller staffs at their checkpoints generally, but especially in the hubs, the functions performed by our belt monitors and moat dragons are often performed by the same person. That person also generally monitors the pax, and if a pax appears unfamiliar with the current drill, the screener quietly helps them sort it out and keeps the line moving.

I could be wrong, and if so, I apologize, but I believe gsoltso has posted that he has performed similar functions at his checkpoints. Occasionally (all too rare, sadly) I see the same highly efficient behavior at US checkpoints - instead of barking at the line, the TSO watches and picks up on folks who look confused and might need assistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.