FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:53 pm
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandykes44
Can someone explain to me what are the guidelines that are used by airlines to determine who gets TSA pre-check. I travel approximately once a month for business and about 4 times a year for pleasure, typically using FF miles for those vacation trips. Probably 14 out of every 15 flights I am designated as TSA pre-check. My husband, who only travels about 3 times a year with me on vacation trips, almost always gets TSA pre-check as well. However, some of my colleagues who travel as much or more than me for business, rarely if ever get TSA pre-check. I don't understand why.

I typically fly AA, but occasionally Delta. They usually fly Delta. I am 25 years older than they are. They have status, I don't right now (haven't updated my profile recently).

Can you help me understand the guidelines? I'm not complaining, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks
This seems to be the driving force.

My observations:

<50, very rare.
>65, light load (airport, not the passenger), almost certain.
>65, likely.

Flight experience doesn't seem to matter, I've seen foreigners with no idea of handling TSA get it.

A model that fits would be that if they haven't checked in enough Pre-Check passengers they do a managed inclusion on the oldest regular passengers.

Unfortunately, I can't explain the Jekyll & Hyde I married--outbound she's more likely than not to get Pre-Check but on US-bound flights she's liable to get SSSSed. The only things I can think of to possibly explain the SSSSs is that she has a foreign name and a foreign birthplace. (But not from a country of interest. I, however, have been in 4 countries of interest but long enough ago that they weren't of interest at the time. I don't know if CBP even knows that, though--we hit 20+ countries on that trip, I'm pretty sure my father listed continents rather than countries on the form because of the size of the list. I know he did that on our second such trip.)