Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Self-fulfilling prophesies by self-believers.

Terrorists are evolving? Only state actor terrorists have evolved when it comes to using new compounds for explosives. The non-state actor terrorists aren't evolving, and only play copy-cat of sort. The dog and pony show of questioning passengers or of banning full water bottles greater than 100ml is a sign of security degradation and of the inherent technological backwardness of the TSA and its favorites; it has nothing to do with scientific or technological evolutionary advancements of terrorists.
Maybe so, but you can't prove that. Until then, I'll put my faith in the people actually running the show, not an Internet armchair CEO who dances around people's questions with non-answers.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
What is the big debacle in this thread? TSA and Homeland Security, based on credible threats from intelligence agencies, are deciding to increase security screenings abroad for flights into the USA. Makes perfect sense to me.

This announcement seems to have engendered all sorts of criticism from people herein. I don't really understand the reason for it.
The threats are not specific and not credible. Hearing "chatter" is not a credible threat.

If you don't like increased security, feel free to not fly from abroad to the USA.

If you don't like the TSA, feel free not to fly at all within/to the USA.
If you feel that you need such harassment to feel safe, please feel free to stay home, hide under the bed, and leave the rest of us out of your fear of flying.

As a very frequent flyers both domestically and internationally, I think the TSA does a decent job overall--but won't stop everything. Same with Homeland Security. People, I remind everyone, are human. The TSA is a huge agency employing hundreds of thousands of people.
The TSA is the worst thing that ever happened to commercial aviation and should be shut down. Many of those "hundreds of thousands" on the public dole should be charged with crimes and sent to prison.

Those of us who fly internationally know the security abroad can be just as onerous in some places. I've had nightmare security screenings in Tel Aviv, Paris, London, and Moscow of all places...just like I've seen messes at Chicago, LAX, and SFO. It's the cost of doing business or enjoying global travel in today's world.
It's only the cost of traveling abroad when we let such countries adopt such scumbag procedures and get away with it. I refuse to visit Israel because of the "security" interrogation. Meanwhile, I'll happily empty my wallet in countries where passengers are not harassed for wanting to travel by air.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:29 pm

So the liquid restrictions were actually implemented to make passengers miserable and not as a means of combatting terrorists ability to create an explosive device to avoid metal detection?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by halls120
There should be doubt, because there isn't a single shred of credible evidence to suggest that TSA has stopped a single terrorist attack.

Al Gore is young?

Except that it's easy to claim that there are so-called "credible threats" without having to substantiate them.

...we have a winner!

Originally Posted by flyerORD
In 1956 terrorists weren't using 2000s methods (hydrogen peroxide) to make bombs. In 2025 they will have evolved further. Old people who fail to acknowledge security evolving as well are standing in the way. It's one thing to be set in your ways, it's another to do so when it risks actual lives of other people. I'm sure old guys at the time balked at the idea of airplanes and other technologies. They were standing in the way. Security isn't perfect, and never will be, but the methods of pre 9/11 security aren't sufficient to prevent evolving tech used by evolving terrorists.
Are you a TSA employee, by chance?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
So the liquid restrictions were actually implemented to make passengers miserable and not as a means of combatting terrorists ability to create an explosive device to avoid metal detection?
The TSA and its supporters' liquid restriction doesn't detect explosives.

TSA's liquid restrictions don't combat "terrorists['] ability to create an explosive device to avoid metal detection".
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
The TSA is the worst thing that ever happened to commercial aviation and should be shut down. Many of those "hundreds of thousands" on the public dole should be charged with crimes and sent to prison.
And you say you're not big government when you want to form a new government with the purpose of imprisoning the employees of the old government.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:34 pm

The TSA and its supporters' liquid restriction doesn't detect explosives.

Of course it doesn't detect explosives. It limits the quantity of potential explosives. Although I will admit the concessions lobby can't be displeased with our current reality.

I am still curious why you felt a need to lob a libelous accusation at me.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero

...we have a winner!

Are you a TSA employee, by chance?
Nope. Is it such a shock that people don't share your entitled view of security?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
You can look for it all you want, but I have no hesitation in believing there would have been several successful attempts had their existing methods not been snuffed out.
You can believe whatever you want, but it isn't backed by any credible evidence.

But please, feel free to go back to the 9/11 Commission Report, and point out for all of us how lax gate security was identified as a cause of those attacks.

Maybe so, but you can't prove that.
And you can't prove that TSA has prevented a single terrorist attack.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:37 pm

TSA's liquid restrictions don't combat "terrorists['] ability to create an explosive device to avoid metal detection".
It did until the terrorists evolved, which is where we find ourselves with the latest advisory. Next?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Maybe so, but you can't prove that. Until then, I'll put my faith in the people actually running the show, not an Internet armchair CEO who dances around people's questions with non-answers.
Prove what?

Anyone willing to run the TSA show in its current form should be answering questions, but instead the TSA responds to questions with non-answers and TSA management frequently proves little to nothing.

Does the TSA's pet favorites in TLV want to be run a la the TSA? No, but they'll take TSA for a ride still.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 3, 2014 at 6:52 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
You can believe whatever you want, but it isn't backed by any credible evidence.

But please, feel free to go back to the 9/11 Commission Report, and point out for all of us how lax gate security was identified as a cause of those attacks.

And you can't prove that TSA has prevented a single terrorist attack.
I can prove that there aren't dozens of US bound airliners at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. How's that for empirical evidence? Deterrence is the greatest evidence of all.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Coincidence is not causation.

It did until the terrorists evolved, which is where we find ourselves with the latest advisory. Next?
It never did. The ability to create explosive devices that avoid metal detection is now as it has been for decades.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:42 pm

Prove what?

Anyone willing to run the TSA show in its current form should be answering questions, but instead the TSA responses to questions with non-answers and TSA management frequently proves little to nothing.

Does the TSA's pet favorites in TLV want to be run a la the TSA? No, but they'll take TSA for a ride still.
Well you frequently ask people to prove everything. But when asked of you, you reply with run-on sentences. All in an effort to confuse people. Shall I provide evidence amongst your thousands of posts? The links will be quite substantial and may take several pages to post.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:43 pm

Coincidence is not causation.

It never did. The ability to create explosive devices that avoid metal detection is now as it has been for decades.
For decades eh? So you concede the necessity of the AIT machines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.