FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1590944-usdhs-tsa-july-2014-enhanced-security-overseas-airports-us-flights.html)

JDiver Jul 2, 2014 2:37 pm

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

The US homeland security department has said it will put into place "enhanced security measures" in certain overseas airports with direct flights to the US.

A UK transport official told the BBC the country would be among those to step-up security procedures.

The move comes amid US media reports that al-Qaeda affiliates in Syria and Yemen are developing bombs to smuggle on planes.

The department said the changes would be made in the "upcoming days".
Link to BBC article

Caveat - we will be spending more time and enjoying more pantomime for "our security".

mfkne Jul 2, 2014 2:41 pm

The official statement is already posted here

Fredd Jul 2, 2014 2:52 pm

"I have directed TSA to implement enhanced security measures..."

UA and other airlines have already conditioned me to cringe reflexively whenever I hear or see 'enhanced' or 'enhancements.'

It's almost as if Johnson's blurb writer reads FT and chose a word just to tease us. :p

relangford Jul 2, 2014 6:22 pm

Rather than "enhancing" the process of getting on a plane, shouldn't the TSA and other agencies begin to pay more attention to the threat of terrorists on the ground firing RPGs or ground-to-air missiles at aircraft in flight? The recent killing of a passenger on a Pakistan airliner in flight from small arms ground fire should make security people wake up fast. The range of ground-launched rockets can be thousands of feet, so aircraft during takeoff/landing are very serious targets. The terorist won't have to kill himself or herself while taking down a plane. In early 1996, the NATO aircraft I was flying on took ground fire upon approach to Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzgovina; luckily no injuries or catastrophic damage to the aircraft (a few bullet holes which missed hydraulic lines), but the threat was real. Today, this could become the number one terrorist action. Physical security zones around airports woiuld have to be greatly enlarged.

Spiff Jul 2, 2014 9:39 pm

Another stupid move by a very stupid agency which should not exist in the first place. :td: :td:

N830MH Jul 2, 2014 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 23134780)
Another stupid move by a very stupid agency which should not exist in the first place. :td: :td:

Yeah, terrible. He had to go now. It's time. He actually don't know what he is doing. I don't like to wait. Unacceptable!

Good riddance to Jeh Johnson!!!! :mad::mad::mad::td::td:

GUWonder Jul 3, 2014 12:20 am

"Tighter" "security" in this context is a misnomer. It's an expansion of the same nonsense the TSA has had done overseas already.

If this expansion were really tighter security, what does that say about what the TSA wanted and had done previously in the name of "security"? Relaxed security? :rolleyes:

Lesson reinforced: minimize use of US carriers on flights to the US.

PeaSouper Jul 3, 2014 1:51 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 23135240)
Lesson reinforced: minimize use of US carriers on flights to the US.

Does this not also pertain to foreign carriers flying to the US?

joshwex90 Jul 3, 2014 2:00 am

Originally Posted by PeaSouper (Post 23135426)
Does this not also pertain to foreign carriers flying to the US?

It does

akelkar Jul 3, 2014 2:56 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 23132894)
Link to BBC article

Caveat - we will be spending more time and enjoying more pantomime for "our security".

This really bugged me. I was flying business back home after leaving university from MAN-PHL and a random airport staffer snarkily asked me if I was flying business class while I had my status card in my hand. Continued asking me security questions (the usual about bags and such) only to be asked the same questions later by the desk agent :mad:

It kept happening up until the moment I handed my boarding pass to the GA to board the plane. I counted 4 times I was asked the "has anyone given you anything in your bag question". Not really sure how the DHS expects someone to get a bomb through UK security AND US security...

FredAnderssen Jul 3, 2014 3:47 am

Originally Posted by akelkar (Post 23135598)
Not really sure how the DHS expects someone to get a bomb through UK security AND US security...

Probably in that orifice with a name similar to that of the next planet past Saturn.

mapu Jul 3, 2014 5:09 am

How can security get any tighter? It's a PITA already.

RadioGirl Jul 3, 2014 5:39 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 23132894)

Originally Posted by BBC
The move comes amid US media reports that al-Qaeda affiliates in Syria and Yemen are developing bombs to smuggle on planes.

:confused: Uh, isn't this what they've been worrying about all this time? Bombs, planes, AQ, smuggle? Sound familiar? So all the NoS and ETD and groping for the past several years have been about, what, really? :confused:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

gooselee Jul 3, 2014 8:22 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl (Post 23136020)
:confused: Uh, isn't this what they've been worrying about all this time? Bombs, planes, AQ, smuggle? Sound familiar? So all the NoS and ETD and groping for the past several years have been about, what, really? :confused:

^

halls120 Jul 3, 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl (Post 23136020)

What it's about is publicity for DHS, and CYA insurance. Every so often they issue proclamations like this in order to protect themselves in the event of a successful terrorist attack to the transportation infrastructure.