Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
It may have changed for some people who let it change their world and turn them into sheep. However it hasn't nor will it change for people who value their freedom and don't let government idiots scare them into bowing down to disgusting, unnecessary harassment at the airport. If doing so makes you feel better and safer, go right ahead. But please don't expect the rest of us to share in your scary fantasies about how dangerous and spooky the world now is with the boogeyman hiding behind every corner.
It's amazing how easy and clear things can be with the complete lack of accountability.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerORD
Oh I love having them around! The stories they tell are quite amazing, like when smoking was allowed on airplanes. My age isn't that important, but its within the last two decades.
That's what I thought: the arrogance of youth. Come back to us in 50 years and we'll see if you still think the same way.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jul 3, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Farce? I agree a balance needs to be struck here, and intelligence is ultimately more important than the security blanket of security. But there is not a doubt in my mind that numerous aircraft would have been brought down without the current security procedures. It's true, even with the current security procedures, incompetence or pure luck alone prevented several, but it does not change the fact that the security procedures have dictated how terrorists operate. That is obvious from the evolution of materials and design of failed attacks. They have functioned as a deterrent and obstacle to would be bombers, that is irrefutable. You may disagree with extent and intrusiveness of security, but that does not make it a farce. In fact, the certain prominent advocates of little-to-no security and a general laissez faire attitude on the topic would have quite a bit of blood on their hands in my mind if they had their way.

Perhaps you should invest your libertarian ideological capital in other areas where some of the rest of us need not end up as the casualty.
OK, so let's say that what is highlighted above is true. Then why haven't terrorists switched their targets to movie theaters, malls, grocery stores, places that would have far more impact on the entire population than blowing airplanes out of the sky? Could it possibly be because there are actually no terrorists out there?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:03 pm

Terrorism has a fetish for aviation, and what it represents. It's often confounding to me as well, their bypassing of more soft targets for what they view as the prize. I don't wish to toot my own horn, but i've written an extensive paper on this exact phenomenon if you are interested. It's not freshly hatched or contrived, it's been a near constant from the very advent of commercial aviation.

1984 is a great cautionary tale, but it seems like some people treat it as their bible to explain the world.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
It does
Not in the same way and not to the same extent -- in other words, it does not generally, so minimizing use of US carriers means less hassles.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
OK, so let's say that what is highlighted above is true. Then why haven't terrorists switched their targets to movie theaters, malls, grocery stores, places that would have far more impact on the entire population than blowing airplanes out of the sky? Could it possibly be because there are actually no terrorists out there?
They don't need to. Americans are doing a good enough job killing each other in mass numbers in movie theaters and schools as it is. They don't need any middle eastern help there. That said, how do you label Boston, Oklahoma City, Kenya?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:09 pm

That's what I thought: the arrogance of youth. Come back to us in 50 years and we'll see if your still think the same way.
Youth is responsible for the computer your using today, unless you're advocating going back to the days of lead paint and asbestos?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I imagine their eyes would pop out of their head at the sight of the 747 as well, and its ability to leave the ground. What's your point?
Obviously not one you're capable of comprehending.

That's what I thought: the arrogance of youth. Come back to us in 50 years and we'll see if your still think the same way.
^

Oh wait, I forgot, these kids know everything - us older folks need to just hurry up and die
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Obviously not one you're capable of comprehending.

^

Oh wait, I forgot, these kids know everything - us older folks need to just hurry up and die
Yes, because clearly you were around in 1776, and know exactly what they would have thought. Though, the sight of a 747 would likely have them reaching for their Bibles. So again I ask, what's your point?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:19 pm

Terrorism has a fetish for aviation, and what it represents. It's often confounding to me as well, their bypassing of more soft targets for what they view as the prize. I don't wish to toot my own horn, but i've written an extensive paper on this exact phenomenon if you are interested. It's not freshly hatched or contrived, it's been a near constant from the very advent of commercial aviation.

1984 is a great cautionary tale, but it seems like some people treat it as their bible to explain the world.
From the DHS/TSA itself:

“As of mid-2011, terrorist threat groups present in the Homeland are not known to be actively plotting against civil aviation targets or airports; instead, their focus is on fundraising, recruiting, and propagandizing.”
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:22 pm

From the DHS/TSA itself:

“As of mid-2011, terrorist threat groups present in the Homeland are not known to be actively plotting against civil aviation targets or airports; instead, their focus is on fundraising, recruiting, and propagandizing.”

What is your point? That threat has almost exclusively been originating from the Middle East, via Europe.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:22 pm
Suspended

This latest DHS CYA move is based on matters originating from Europe and/or North America.

I'm not misunderstanding anything. YOU said it's non-science, yet the Israeli's use it daily. I don't have an opinion one way or another whether it should be used stateside, but you opened that can of worms by claiming it has no merit. You just forgot that it is actually used very effectively elsewhere, which disproves your theory that it's useless. Can it be improved upon here, of course. Everything can be improved upon. Pre 9/11 security is a generational thing that the newer generations never experienced and would probably gasp at the thought. Old people who refuse progress in any form, even imperfect progress hinder society.
Effective contraband WEI interdiction doesn't require the voodoo "security" of "behavior detection" or any of the other nonsense done done in the name of "security" at any airport.

An effective search for contraband WEI can be done without relying upon the Alice in Wonderland type fantasies of "profiling" used by those that resort to or blindly trust in mental crutches that haven't been proven to have any scientific basis for effectiveness.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:26 pm

Youth is responsible for the computer your using today, unless you're advocating going back to the days of lead paint and asbestos?
And who invented the precursor of today's computers? Those "old men" that you like to put down.

My son used to sound like you but the longer he lives, the more he agrees with me.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jul 3, 2014 at 4:46 pm Reason: delete a statement; add a statement
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Some parents may wish a child was aborted prior to birth, but let's not go there.

Your assumption is based on a fiction. The fact is that most terrorist attacks have nothing to do with aviation. If anything, the evidence is that terrorists in the main have a fetish for non-aviation targets.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Your assumption is based on a fiction. The fact is that most terrorist attacks have nothing to do with aviation. If anything, the evidence is that terrorists in the main have a fetish for non-aviation targets.

You have got to be kidding me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.