Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Spoddy
I don't have any sources to cite right now, but I believe the Israeli methods are much different and their staff actually trained properly.

The US/TSA version uses very different methods, something I believe the GAO (linked up thread) even mentioned.

Been a while since I've read it.
I used to think that before I was harassed over why I visited Petra when I was flying out of TLV...
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by flyerORD
Overall, yes, but it doesn't take rocket science to spot negativity.
Is that what goes through your mind whenever you look in the mirror?

Perhaps you could address the topic and not other posters.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:58 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I used to think that before I was harassed over why I visited Petra when I was flying out of TLV...
Cheers
Howie
Those who visit Israel's neighbors and then fly out of TLV get increased scrutiny. But it was based on where you went and what you did, not the behavior you exhibited for 3 seconds while getting your ID checked. And if I had to guess, I'd guess you were not harassed over why you visited Petra, you were harassed over why you visited Jordan. Visiting Petra was just the answer. You may have felt harassed because they were trying to establish that you were telling the truth about the purpose of your visit to Jordan by asking you extensive questions about your visit to Petra. But the scrutiny was probably not of your visit to Petra, but to satisfy the security people you actually went to Petra that tirp.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Those in the government who treat airline passengers like criminals are just as bad as the terrorists. Perhaps even worse, since they supposedly know right from wrong.
I hope that is some twisted idea of a satirical joke, but unfortunately I know better.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
I hope that is some twisted idea of a satirical joke, but unfortunately I know better.
Nope, just refusal to accept that the world has changed, and will continue to change. Anytime new intelligence comes out, it's immediately some sort of government conspiracy to feel up (or way down depending on how old) old men.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:23 pm

You certainly don't miss an opportunity to show your ignorance. What goes on at TLV is not what goes on at USA airports.
I never suggested it is. YOU suggested that that type of analysis is junk science. Perhaps you should establish in which country you consider it junk science next time?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I imagine the Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves at the ridiculous restrictions on our freedom of movement and privacy under the farce of "security"
I imagine their eyes would pop out of their head at the sight of the 747 as well, and its ability to leave the ground. What's your point?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Nope, just refusal to accept that the world has changed, and will continue to change. Anytime new intelligence comes out, it's immediately some sort of government conspiracy to feel up (or way down depending on how old) old men.
It may have changed for some people who let it change their world and turn them into sheep. However it hasn't nor will it change for people who value their freedom and don't let government idiots scare them into bowing down to disgusting, unnecessary harassment at the airport. If doing so makes you feel better and safer, go right ahead. But please don't expect the rest of us to share in your scary fantasies about how dangerous and spooky the world now is with the boogeyman hiding behind every corner.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by eghansen
Honestly, sometimes the people who write in this forum sound like a bunch of old women who complain about everything.
They'll be dead soon enough. Of course, my generation will probably scream at the idea of iphones being implanted directly into the cornea.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:31 pm

It may have changed for some people who let it change their world and turn them into sheep. However it hasn't nor will it change for people who value their freedom and don't let government idiots scare them into bowing down to disgusting, unnecessary harassment at the airport. If doing so makes you feel better and safer, go right ahead. But please don't expect the rest of us to share in your scary fantasies about how dangerous and spooky the world now is with the boogeyman hiding behind every corner.
Meanwhile the rest of us will enjoy traveling the world instead of living surrounded by negativity and contempt for advancement. I travel every single week, and I'm not yet angered by silly things like airport security. Seeing what it's intended to do just a few weeks ago made me very appreciative. That poor SOB no longer owns that gun, and his pre-check number has likely been deactivated.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:37 pm

They'll be dead soon enough. Of course, my generation will probably scream at the idea of iphones being implanted directly into the cornea.
This is your second reference to an older generation being gone or dead. There's something very strange about someone who seems to want older folks out of the way.

BTW, how old are you?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Is that what goes through your mind whenever you look in the mirror?

Perhaps you could address the topic and not other posters.
I love who I see in the mirror. I believe I agreed with you in regards to airport employees bypassing security. No?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:40 pm

Farce? I agree a balance needs to be struck here, and intelligence is ultimately more important than the security blanket of security. But there is not a doubt in my mind that numerous aircraft would have been brought down without the current security procedures. It's true, even with the current security procedures, incompetence or pure luck alone prevented several, but it does not change the fact that the security procedures have dictated how terrorists operate. That is obvious from the evolution of materials and design of failed attacks. They have functioned as a deterrent and obstacle to would be bombers, that is irrefutable. You may disagree with extent and intrusiveness of security, but that does not make it a farce. In fact, the certain prominent advocates of little-to-no security and a general laissez faire attitude on the topic would have quite a bit of blood on their hands in my mind if they had their way.

Perhaps you should invest your libertarian ideological capital in other areas where some of the rest of us need not end up as the casualty.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This is your second reference to an older generation being gone or dead. There's something very strange about someone who seems to want older folks out of the way.

BTW, how old are you?
Oh I love having them around! The stories they tell are quite amazing, like when smoking was allowed on airplanes. My age isn't that important, but its within the last two decades.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Farce? I agree a balance needs to be struck here, and intelligence is ultimately more important than the security blanket of security. But there is not a doubt in my mind that numerous aircraft would have been brought down without the current security procedures. It's true, even with the current security procedures, incompetence or pure luck alone prevented several, but it does not change the fact that the security procedures have dictated how terrorists operate. That is obvious from the evolution of materials and design of failed attacks. They have functioned as a deterrent and obstacle to would be bombers, that is irrefutable. You clearly sit on the You may disagree with extent and intrusiveness of security, but that does not make it a farce. In fact, the certain prominent advocates of little-to-no security and a general laissez faire attitude on the topic would have quite a bit of blood on their hands in my mind if they had their way.

Perhaps you should invest your libertarian ideological capital in other areas where some of the rest of us need not end up as the casualty.
Well said...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.