Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by Spiff
Another stupid move by a very stupid agency which should not exist in the first place.
I completely agree. We should go back to the way things were before 9/11. Uninterested minimum wage screeners who wouldn't know a sub-machine gun if it appeared on their x-ray screen. Airlines asking them to "turn down" the scanners so that the passengers can be processed faster. Cockpit door left open so anyone can go in and hijack the aircraft.

Honestly, sometimes the people who write in this forum sound like a bunch of old women who complain about everything.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
"Moooooon Riverrrrrrrr"
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by eghansen
I completely agree. We should go back to the way things were before 9/11. Uninterested minimum wage screeners who wouldn't know a sub-machine gun if it appeared on their x-ray screen. Airlines asking them to "turn down" the scanners so that the passengers can be processed faster. Cockpit door left open so anyone can go in and hijack the aircraft.

Honestly, sometimes the people who write in this forum sound like a bunch of old women who complain about everything.
No one's asking for the silliness you describe. More like Japan, where I can bring large quantities of liquids through security, only a metal detector to pass through, and unfailingly polite security officers who make the process fast enough that domestic flights there have a check-in deadline of 15 minutes, not 45 or an hour.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Carry ons searched

Interesting. I flew HKG/DFW Tuesday on AA metal (new route). Security opened and searched EVERY passenger's carry-ons on the jetway. Now I know why. Pretty serious step up.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Carry on searching in HKG

The searching of every carry on bag for US bound flights has been standard procedure at HKG for a long time. So your experience is not new.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Honestly, the ones who surprise me are the people who drop in and act like there are two alternatives: an exaggerated-for-the-sake-of-making-a-point hypothetical pre-9/11 'zero security' (that never existed) or 'anything for safety', complaining about anyone who suggests that nuanced answers are appropriate.

We've come a long way, baby. Now we have uninterested screeners earning well above minimum wage with good benefits regularly failing screening tests in huge numbers, possibly because they are more interested in the conversations of idle TSOs and their cellphones than they are in thorough comprehensive screening. They spot a live grenade on the xray, hand search the bag it is in and fail to find 2+ pounds of C4 in its clearly marked government-issue packaging.

Now we have dozens of people 'randomly' included in Pre based solely on checkpoint traffic management, not a background check or analysis of flight history. Meanwhile, the biggest criminal offenses at the airports continue to involve airport workers and TSOs with virtually unchallenged access to the sterile areas of the airport and the planes, an access based on a single background check (wonder if the agency who vetted Edward Snowden did some of these background checks). TSOs have been arrested on multiple occasions for smuggling contraband past the checkpoint unchallenged.

Last edited by chollie; Jul 3, 2014 at 10:49 am
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Honestly, the ones who surprise me are the people who drop in and act like there are two alternatives: an exaggerated-for-the-sake-of-making-a-point hypothetical pre-9/11 'zero security' (that never existed) or 'anything for safety', complaining about anyone who suggests that nuanced answers are appropriate.

We've come a long way, baby. Now we have uninterested screeners earning well above minimum wage with good benefits regularly failing screening tests in huge numbers, possibly because they are more interested in the conversations of idle TSOs and their cellphones than they are in thorough comprehensive screening. They spot a live grenade on the xray, hand search the bag it is in and fail to find 2+ pounds of C4 in it's clearly marked government-issue packaging.

Now we have dozens of people 'randomly' included in Pre based solely on checkpoint traffic management, not a background check or analysis of flight history. Meanwhile, the biggest criminal offenses at the airports continue to involve airport workers and TSOs with virtually unchallenged access to the sterile areas of the airport and the planes, an access based on a single background check (wonder if the agency who vetted Edward Snowden did some of these background checks). TSOs have been arrested on multiple occasions for smuggling contraband past the checkpoint unchallenged.
Facts are so darned inconvenient and even unsettling for those who want the authorities to make them "feel" safe.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:54 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I completely agree. We should go back to the way things were before 9/11.
Me too, with locked cockpit doors and ETD/ETP. The airlines should be responsible for their own security and the federal government should be thrown out of our airports.

Honestly, sometimes the people sound like panty-waisted cowards who would be better off hiding under the bed at home than going to the airport and only feeling "safe" if someone demands their ID, takes naked pictures of them/sexually assaults them, and confiscates their juice box.

Last edited by Spiff; Jul 3, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I find it comical that my beard trimming scissors are more menacing than the box cutters that hijacked the planes on 9/11 and yet I have no issue bringing them through security in my carry on. That says to me, "hey, the only thing that's changed to prevent that from happening again is that there's a cockpit door and passengers will all fight back."

I'm not anti-security. I'm anti-dumb security, because I'm also anti-dumb. Stop bothering me with these idiotic "safety measures" and do some actual leg work to keep us safe.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Now we have uninterested screeners earning well above minimum wage with good benefits regularly failing screening tests in huge numbers, possibly because they are more interested in the conversations of idle TSOs
Amusing. I guess the TSA agent who found a gun in the guys bag three people ahead of me three weeks ago was uninterested. And this was in the pre-check lane. It was actually rather fun to watch. The poor passenger was sweating bullets (no pun intended). He actually wanted to explain so he could catch his flight. Last I saw of him was when the police were leading him away. This was at a very large major airline hub. One less pre-check person to worry about.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Me too, with locked cockpit doors and ETD/ETP. The airlines should be responsible for their own security and the federal government should be thrown out of our airports.

Honestly, sometimes the people who write in this forum sound like panty-waisted cowards who would be better off hiding under the bed at home than going to the airport and only feeling "safe" if someone demands their ID, takes naked pictures of them/sexually assaults them, and confiscates their juice box.
I wouldn't call anyone panty wasted. The sad fact is there are really people out there who wish to do the US harm, and airplanes will always be one way in which they attempt to carry that out.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by flyerORD
Amusing. I guess the TSA agent who found a gun in the guys bag three people ahead of me three weeks ago was uninterested. And this was in the pre-check lane. It was actually rather fun to watch. The poor passenger was sweating bullets (no pun intended). He actually wanted to explain so he could catch his flight. Last I saw of him was when the police were leading him away. This was at a very large major airline hub. One less pre-check person to worry about.
Amusing anecdote. Not quite sure what point you are trying to make.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The sad fact is there are really people out there who wish to do the US harm, and airplanes will always be one way in which they attempt to carry that out.
So what? I'd rather live freely and choose sensible security procedures than the joke "security" harassment currently in place at US airports.

Those in the government who treat airline passengers like criminals are just as bad as the terrorists. Perhaps even worse, since they supposedly know right from wrong.

Those who feel they need this type of harassment to feel "safe" should stay home and let the rest of us lead our lives.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Duplicate
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I wouldn't call anyone panty wasted. The sad fact is there are really people out there who wish to do the US harm, and airplanes will always be one way in which they attempt to carry that out.
+1 - Everyone says they know how to manage the Yankees the day after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.