Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by flyerORD
I see. So the safety and security thread is for angry bitter people. I'm in the wrong place then.
Over the years, the angriest and most bitter people I've seen here have been alleged TSOs or CBP agents. Occasionally someone drops in, announces that TSA rocks and accuses anyone critical of TSA of wanting to eliminate all security because, of course, those are the only two options available, right?

I might be bitter or angry if I or someone I love is killed in an air catastrophe that involves US TSOs or airport employees with unfettered access to the secure areas. YMMV, of course, in such a situation, you might be philosophical enough to shrug and say 'sh*t happens, nobody's perfect, security can never be 100% - but would you rather have no security at all?'
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
I see, so the Israelis are idiots too!! And the legions of psychologists who framed the art are morons. I love it!!
Here's an article from the Washington Post which disseminates the Government Accountability Office's report on BDOs.

A federal review concludes there’s no solid evidence that airport checkpoint personnel have a clue when they scan the approaching line for suspicious passengers.
The GAO report recommends that Congress stop funding for the program, which has cost more than $878 million since its launch in 2007.
So my questions to you are why do you think we should continue to support programs which are shown to be ineffective? Do you think that this is money well spent? Is it possible that there are other programs in which the TSA engages that are equally ineffective and wasteful?

Many of us here certainly think so, and we have the evidence, knowledge and sense to back it up.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:31 pm

Everyone wants security. It is just that USA's TSA is one of the rudest in the whole world.They yell, scream and demand. And pretty much you are screwed if you dont want your "breast" squezed. Your genitals touched and chopped. Yes that is security. That is PERVERTS at the best.
TSA is SICK. I dont think more secure cause they do that.I feel sick to my stomach.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I might be bitter or angry if I or someone I love is killed in an air catastrophe that involves US TSOs or airport employees with unfettered access to the secure areas. YMMV, of course, in such a situation, you might be philosophical enough to shrug and say 'sh*t happens, nobody's perfect, security can never be 100% - but would you rather have no security at all?'
I actually don't think airport employees should be able to bypass security, at all, ever. What I find hysterical is certain individuals living their lives so negatively. That generation is on its way out soon enough.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
I actually don't think airport employees should be able to bypass security, at all, ever. What I find hysterical is certain individuals living their lives so negatively. That generation is on its way out soon enough.
Yeah, it's a real knee slapper. Welcome to your future. Welcome to the next generation of drugged-up followers:

"By this time the soma had begun to work. Eyes shone, cheeks were flushed, the inner light of universal benevolence broke out on every face in happy, friendly smiles."
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
You're running a lot of misunderstanding into 2 sentences. What goes on at TLV is not what goes on at US airports, nor should it. Different country, different freedom. Please, show us some peer-reviewed research that shows that the behavior detection voodoo that is practiced at USA airports actually works. The General Accounting Office has already opined that it is a waste of money and resources:

Cite
I'm not misunderstanding anything. YOU said it's non-science, yet the Israeli's use it daily. I don't have an opinion one way or another whether it should be used stateside, but you opened that can of worms by claiming it has no merit. You just forgot that it is actually used very effectively elsewhere, which disproves your theory that it's useless. Can it be improved upon here, of course. Everything can be improved upon. Pre 9/11 security is a generational thing that the newer generations never experienced and would probably gasp at the thought. Old people who refuse progress in any form, even imperfect progress hinder society.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:03 pm

You know nothing, absolutely nothing, about how any of us live our lives.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:04 pm

I'm not misunderstanding anything. YOU said it's non-science, yet the Israeli's use it daily. I don't have an opinion one way or another whether it should be used stateside, but you opened that can of worms by claiming it has no merit. You just forgot that it is actually used very effectively elsewhere, which disproves your theory that it's useless. Can it be improved upon here, of course. Everything can be improved upon. Pre 9/11 security is a generational thing that the newer generations never experienced and would probably gasp at the thought. Old people who refuse progress in any form, even imperfect progress hinder society.
I don't have any sources to cite right now, but I believe the Israeli methods are much different and their staff actually trained properly.

The US/TSA version uses very different methods, something I believe the GAO (linked up thread) even mentioned.

Been a while since I've read it.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
You know nothing, absolutely nothing, about how any of us live our lives.
Overall, yes, but it doesn't take rocket science to spot negativity.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:19 pm

Just to bring the discussion back on topic, this article in French explains that at BRU "[...]electronic equipment such as cellphones, tablets and smartphones are going to be checked more in detail, to make sure that they do not contain explosives".

Make of that what you will, I guess my next trip to the US will see me carry my good ol' Nokia dumbphone. And my laptop will stay at home.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I see. So the safety and security thread is for angry bitter people. I'm in the wrong place then.
You're in the wrong place if you believe in the fantasy that TSA actually provides any better security than what they replaced.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:34 pm

Overall, yes, but it doesn't take rocket science to spot negativity.
Tomorrow is July 4th. I presume that you would have called our Founding Fathers bitter and negative old men.

(And before you claim that they weren't "old" men, remember that life expectancy in 1776 was far less than it is today.)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'm not misunderstanding anything. YOU said it's non-science, yet the Israeli's use it daily.
You certainly don't miss an opportunity to show your ignorance. What goes on at TLV is not what goes on at USA airports.

Old people who refuse progress in any form, even imperfect progress hinder society.
Most of what has changed at airports since 2001 is not progress. It's ignorance, panic, stupidity, and harassment, but it's not progress. Society is hindered in its development by not using critical thinking and instead ignorantly obeying without question.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Tomorrow is July 4th. I presume that you would have called our Founding Fathers bitter and negative old men.

(And before you claim that they weren't "old" men, remember that life expectancy in 1776 was far less than it is today.)
I imagine the Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves at the ridiculous restrictions on our freedom of movement and privacy under the farce of "security"
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:48 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TLV profiles by religion, race, nationality and purpose of travel among other things. Based on those factors, they make a risk assessment. The risk assessment is based on the history of who has attacked in the past and who is more likely to dislike Israel. The behavior profiling in TLV is mainly to tell if you are telling the truth about the above factors-- it is the means to an end and not the end itself. This is allowed in TLV because Israeli society accepts a lower freedom/security ratio than we do in the USA.

In contrast, TSA doesn't profile a person for who they are or what they are traveling for, they just look at a person and decide if that person's behavior meets certain criteria. The problem is that there is no basis, scientific, historical, logical or otherwise, for the proposition that people that exhibit the behaviors TSA looks for are a higher security risk. The "evidence" cited by TSA to support the program has been rejected by the GAO as bogus. GAO says TSA would have done just as well flipping a coin.

I hope you now better understand the difference between profiling and behavior detection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.