Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Are you talking about real intel about real, credible crimes/criminals, or are you taking about joke intel like the no-fly list?
Do you have access to any of this classified information or do you just wish you were that powerful?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:42 pm

Don't worry. The market will dictate the intel. Or they could get the federal government to just hand it over carte blanche to the lowest bidder security contractor and set an awful precedent in the process.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Passenger has visited Yemen.
Not relevant. Screen using WTMD, ETP/ETD, x-ray of baggage.

How would these even constitute probable cause? Or wont they?
Visits to Yemen should not constitute probable cause of any kind: airline or otherwise.

Originally Posted by flyerORD
Airlines contract out what they can to the lowest bidder. Do you also support free reign over airline maintenance with no FAR?
Airlines contract out what they can to the lowest qualified bidder, not lowest bidder. I support airline maintenance being the responsibility of the airlines with criminal penalties for failure to the individuals who dictate or perform poor maintenance - no hiding behind a corporation.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:54 pm

So you want to undermine intelligence too. I thought one thing everyone could agree upon is smarter, focused intelligence dictating security screenings instead of feeling up Granny from Sarasota. But no, you just want to make it less effective, more convenient pageantry while making it far stupider. Brilliant.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:54 pm

Not relevant. Screen using WTMD, ETP/ETD, x-ray of baggage.

Visits to Yemen should not constitute probable cause of any kind: airline or otherwise.

Airlines contract out what they can to the lowest qualified bidder, not lowest bidder. I support airline maintenance being the responsibility of the airlines with criminal penalties for failure to the individuals who dictate or perform poor maintenance - no hiding behind a corporation.
So you don't support FAR? It's a yes or no question.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:56 pm

Let the market dictate how safe you want the airplane to be.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
So you don't support FAR? It's a yes or no question.
I'll answer the question any way I please. And I've done so.

So you want to undermine intelligence too. I thought one thing everyone could agree upon is smarter, focused intelligence dictating security screenings instead of feeling up Granny from Sarasota. But no, you just want to make it less effective, more convenient pageantry while making it far stupider. Brilliant.
Sorry, the principles upon which this nation was founded should not disappear at the airport.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:11 pm

Sorry, the principles upon which this nation was founded should not disappear at the airport.
We may not even be talking about a US citizen! Where does your line that 'the principles upon this nation was founded' become violated along the road from your dumbed down airline security screening to an intelligence driven risk assessment for secondary screening? Actually, where is that line from your airline security to what we have now? Just because the government is involved? Pat downs?

Isn't a major critique of the whole TSA program spending the same amount of time on no risk passengers as is done on higher risk passengers? That a guise of impartiality clouded common sense? You're taking those faults and doubling down on them.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:14 pm

No, you evaded the question. That actually answers it for me. You have an overall hatred of anything government related. Unfortunately, you've proven that your opinions offer little value in the safety and security of airline passengers. It's all about you, not what may work at keeping people alive. FARs are fundamental in keeping airlines honest. Allowing airlines to control safety is a deadly proposition.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:25 pm

Are you aware that airlines frequently "borrow" parts from each other. Now, for a moment imagine airline x borrows a part from airline z. No FARS exist and airline z uses a different type of screw than airline x, but they don't know that because there's no regulation. The part gets screwed in on the ground, and it seems to fit. At altitude, pressure and vibration cause the wrong screws to dislodge, resulting in the part failing.

Your attitude is what causes the above scenario to occur. FARs exist to protect us from your attitude.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:32 pm

Don't worry, just throw the guy who unknowingly screwed in the wrong part in jail. Or burn him at the stake or something. Whatever. Problem solved.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Let me reiterate, your flawed narcissism makes you a disgusting human being. To demean the lives of 3,000 people who, if, polled, probably wish security had been a little more involved takes a sewer level of thinking. I value their families far more than I'd ever value your issues. Your thinking needs serious professional help.

Let me make something VERY clear. You have no idea who you may be talking to online.
I think you need to spend some time today thinking about what it means to be a true American, as I believe you're coming up far short.

First, we believe in liberty and freedom. We do not cower in fear from phantom bogeymen. We do not respect a government or leaders who do not respect us.

Your entire view of aviation security is completely flawed, but I am more surprised after all these years to encounter someone still grasping at the last breath of 9/11, still worried about phantoms under the bed (or seated across the aisle with the wrong color skin) ready to detonate a bomb.

So on this day of our independence from tyranny, I suggest you read and understand these words from one of the greatest patriots in our history:

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

If you are carrying a US passport, then he is speaking to you, and I suggest you listen.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
There was no failure of airport security on Sept. 11, 2001. The reason those people died is because airline employees, at the direction of the federal government, cooperated with cominals. That's one more reason the federal government should be kicked out of all our airports and all present and past "leaders" of TSA and DHS should go to prison for life.
What aspect of 9/11 are you referring to when you say "at the direction of the federal government"?

Do you mean the policy of flight crews (which I assume, but don't know, to have been consolidated in airline policies) to surrender the cockpit to hijackers? While 9/11 showed that the practice needed to change, it was based on years of experience, but I am not aware of any government directive. In fact, a representative of the airline pilot's union "security committee" testified in Congress, just a couple of weeks before 9/11, that better cockpit doors were not necessary because if someone put a noose around the neck of his flight attendant he would open the door. (For those who don't understand, history (up to that time) showed that hijackers would mostly go where they want and then release the passengers and crew unharmed).
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Seriously? Northwest 253 anyone? It's not my fault if you haven't read the news on these matters.
Are you seriously claiming that the underwear bomber -- whom I mentioned in this thread earlier (as is obvious to anyone who has properly read this thread and whose memory practice is not putting up signs of Alzheimer's regardless of age) -- had a bomb that involved no metal?

I'm no scientists -- although I did have very high grades in the subject through the various class levels -- but even I don't need to go back to school to avoid making an incorrect answer on this matter.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:46 am

Let me reiterate, your flawed narcissism makes you a disgusting human being. To demean the lives of 3,000 people who, if, polled, probably wish security had been a little more involved takes a sewer level of thinking. I value their families far more than I'd ever value your issues. Your thinking needs serious professional help.

Let me make something VERY clear. You have no idea who you may be talking to online.
Nor do you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.