Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
That would give the TSA something to do check a bunch of empty cups for bad air.
A lot of that is generated every time a TSO opens his mouth.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:03 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
It would be great to organize a mass protest by handing out a cup to everyone going into the sterile area asking them to hold (not fill) it until boarding. That would give the TSA something to do check a bunch of empty cups for bad air.
Hmmm...we're going to need to hire more TSOs....
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Another option: stay close to where you purchased the beverage from. If the TSA walks over and wants to test it, go back to the merchant and demand a refund, as they clearly sold you an unsafe drink. Making that little scene of it at a McDonald's or a Burger King would cause an even greater headache for the franchisee.

If enough people do that, whether they get the refund or not, you can bet the HMS Hosts and Paradies of the world will come down on the airports to get the Thousands Standing Around to quit wasting their shop employees' time.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
Another option: stay close to where you purchased the beverage from.
All good, until the TSA thug demands you hand over your drink as you are at the gate about to board.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:30 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
Another option: stay close to where you purchased the beverage from. If the TSA walks over and wants to test it, go back to the merchant and demand a refund, as they clearly sold you an unsafe drink. Making that little scene of it at a McDonald's or a Burger King would cause an even greater headache for the franchisee.

If enough people do that, whether they get the refund or not, you can bet the HMS Hosts and Paradies of the world will come down on the airports to get the Thousands Standing Around to quit wasting their shop employees' time.
I'm betting most reputable places would just give you a replacement drink without the need to make a scene.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:06 pm

I was approached at SEA and asked if they could test my Diet Coke, I simply finished it before giving an answer and just handed over the empty bottle and walked off.

The TSA employee was bewildered and just stood there (deer in headlights) looking at me before throwing the bottle away and walking off.

Dan
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
This is why it's good to be in a club.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by dan1431
I was approached at SEA and asked if they could test my Diet Coke, I simply finished it before giving an answer and just handed over the empty bottle and walked off.

The TSA employee was bewildered and just stood there (deer in headlights) looking at me before throwing the bottle away and walking off.

Dan
This is good news. No threats? No getting kicked out of the airport? Nice.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by saulblum
All good, until the TSA thug demands you hand over your drink as you are at the gate about to board.
Chug it, hand them the empty bottle/cup.

Originally Posted by TBD
I'm betting most reputable places would just give you a replacement drink without the need to make a scene.
The scene is the point. Make the employees (and patrons) uncomfortable because someone is demanding to know why the TSA would want to test a drink sold there.

Classic.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by TBD
Oh ... walk away from them and on to the plane?
Originally Posted by saulblum
Let me know how that works out for you.
not a beverage check, but when I boarded my flight at LAX this morning, I had my BP scanned, and entered the jetbridge, where there were 4 TSA standing on the sides of the jetbridge. One of them asked for my ID. I responded "I'd love to play security theater with you today, but I've already provided your agency with my ID 3 times this morning, and I need to catch my flight now". I kept walking onto the plane. None of them followed me. Probably stunned at my insubordination.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: Skymiles - FO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
So volatile, in fact, that in all liklihood any such chemicals would have detonated the would-be terrist directly to Valhalla on the cab ride to the airport, correct? At least, that's my understanding from the little I've read online about explosive liquids.
As I used the word "volatile", I meant it's ability to evaporate, to transform from the liquid to the gas phase. For anything to be detected by these strips, it must be able to evaporate from its container at a sufficient rate at a given temperature to reach whatever threshold concentration is sufficient to produce a signal on a test strip. This does not necessarily correlate with a substances tendency to detonate.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:23 pm

I have never been approached about this -- I don't think I've ever taken a beverage to the boarding gate. But this should work for all but the biggest of gulps:

"Can I test your beverage?"
"Absolutely."
Chug what's left, hand it over, say "thanks" and go back to whatever you were previously doing.

No scene, no loss of investment, your drink has been thoroughly vetted AND...someone else swaggers it off to the garbage can for you.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:32 pm

In hindsight, I am surprised that the bewildered agent did not follow me or punish me in some way for handing over the empty bottle and walking away, but she just stared at me and threw the bottle away.

My last gate screening, I was selected and I said out loud (the out loud part was actually an accident at the time, though I am happy about it now), what, did you miss something at the checkpoint and hope the would be bad person is on this flight? My comment got a chuckle from the GA and a few of the pax, but the TSA employee was less than amused and said, sir, it is just an extra layer of security.

Dan
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:46 pm

, but the TSA employee was less than amused and said, sir, it is just an extra layer of security.
That "extra layer of security" stuff is amusing. The entire reason to have layered security is because one layer compensates for weaknesses in a different layer. Because the TSA does not do anything different in gate checks than what they did earlier, they are not adding a security layer. They are merely reperforming work within the same layer.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
This is why it's good to be in a club.
Whenever I have to deal with the TSA I wish I had a club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.