Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:00 pm

So is this an optional deal or is it mandatory? So is this an optional deal or is it mandatory? If it's mandatory I think I'd want proof of that and proof that the "officer" was really an TSA employee before handing over my property.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:09 pm

And what happens to the poor fellow whose drink tests positive on these magic strips? Will he be forced to voluntarily surrender his airside-purchased drink? Will the nation's flights be grounded at once, since it's clear that the nation's airport concessions have been contaminated with bomb-making material?

I've got to wonder about these passengers eagerly handing over their drink: if they were dining at a fine restaurant and a uniformed health inspector on a spot inspection entered and demanded that they give them a portion of their plate to sample, would they comply? Or do people lose all notions of common sense when it's a matter of the War on Terror™?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
This is just stupid. If the only drinks are purchased after security, how ridiculous, are they testing the food too. I can see them asking if they can have a bite of my candy bar.

I will never allow anyone to test my drink after I clear security, flight be damned this is my llimit.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Has anyone figured out the thought process here? Are they concerned that the bad guys have infiltrated McDonald's? Are they worried that you have brought in a nefarious substance and have put it in your Starbucks cup and are presently drinking it to avoid suspicion? What is it?
They overstaffed by at least two that day.

Mike
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saulblum
Are you saying the embedded video is a fabrication?
It's infowars.com. I see no reason to trust anything from them.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by maniac78
So is this an optional deal or is it mandatory? So is this an optional deal or is it mandatory? If it's mandatory I think I'd want proof of that and proof that the "officer" was really an TSA employee before handing over my property.
When I saw it at LAX, it looked like a mandatory gate check. Boarding was announced early with a mention of extra security at the gate. It was a LAX-MRY flight at a gate right next to my LAX-SMF flight. The agents had a large cart with a lot of machinery looking stuff on it. I didn't know what to make of it until I saw this. Yet, I didn't see anyone actually get pulled aside.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It's infowars.com. I see no reason to trust anything from them.
So you're saying that the independent YouTube clip is a fabrication and that TSOs did not wave magic strips over passengers' drinks.

Right?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:35 pm

I myself would prefer the "Concerned Citizen" gambit.

"What??? There may be something wrong with my drink??? But.... I just bought it from that nice man at the kiosk! Oh, wait... he looks a little middle eastern. Do you think he might be with Al Qaeda? OH... MY... GOD... they're trying to POISON US!!!!!!!"...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
NBC doing a piece on this tonight on 'Nightly News', but sadly, nothing really new, at least to anyone in here. Fluff from TSA spokesperson about multi-layered security' and 2 sheeple @ ORD bleeting about rather being safe than sorry
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
On tonight's NBC News, it was the 2nd story (after the convention coverage). Unfortunately, half the people commenting said "anything for security". There is no way I would submit my drink for screening. I would throw it in the garbage before I let them wave one of their stupid strips over it.

The reporter did note that if you didn't surrender a drink for screening, you could be denied boarding.

The report went on to say that the TSA doesn't always screen the trusted airport workers/vendors on a daily basis.

I assume the vendors won't surrender 1% of their beverages for random testing. Though it makes a whole lot more sense to screen beverages before they make it to the stores on the concourses.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:58 pm

Until we see hard-hitting pieces showing the lack of any science backing the TSA's actions, and showing the influence of lobbyists in the equipment the TSA purchases, even faced with a lack of scientific grounding in its policies, we will continue to see the mainstream media produce puff pieces such as the NBC News one.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I would chug down my entire drink right in front of the idiots.
Glug...glug...glug...glug...

“Ahh...

“Here you go — take my empty cup and test it all you want...

“...and while you already have it, dispose of it for me.”
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Glug...glug...glug...glug...

“Ahh...

“Here you go — take my empty cup and test it all you want...

“...and while you already have it, dispose of it for me.”

Actually, that last should be, "Make sure and throw your trash there away once you're done with it. Wouldn't want to have the cop over there have to charge you with littering..."
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
Immediately set it on the ground and react as you should when a rational human is informed they were just holding a bomb. I suggest screaming "oh my, the water is dangerous!!!" and running away.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
The report went on to say that the TSA doesn't always screen the trusted airport workers/vendors on a daily basis.
Which forced me to yell at the tv that the 'biggest threat to passengers & the aviation system as a whole are the TSA screeners themselves as their actions have shown, repeatedly, over the years'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.