Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:54 pm

I have heard a totally unconfirmed rumor that TSA may be --- quietly --- eliminating the practice of gateside beverage testing. Can any of our resident TSOs comment?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:03 pm

Apparently, they are back at it

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I have heard a totally unconfirmed rumor that TSA may be --- quietly --- eliminating the practice of gateside beverage testing. Can any of our resident TSOs comment?
They scanned my protein shake for traces of explosives while I was waiting in line to board the plan. This happened after I was drinking it by the way....It was odd because I was in the middle of drinking it when the TSA agent approached me and told me he needed to swab the inside for explosive residue.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was this in a Twitter message? We discussed earlier that the citizen's response options would be to guzzle the drink, hand the empty bottle to the clerk and walk away. Plan B would be to act nervous during the interrogation, lose control over the container, and spill it all over the clerk's spiffy blue fake cop uniform.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Was this in a Twitter message? We discussed earlier that the citizen's response options would be to guzzle the drink, hand the empty bottle to the clerk and walk away. Plan B would be to act nervous during the interrogation, lose control over the container, and spill it all over the clerk's spiffy blue fake cop uniform.
Yes, it was a tweet on the TSA's twitter site. Actually, two tweets.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Flew out of ABQ last week. After I got thru security, I found 4 screeners (complete w/their little cart & sign) huddled by the gift shop ready for some gate screening. No idea how long they had been there before I got there, but they hung out, in that same spot, for over an hour that I watched them before I leaded to my gate.

I would love to know how much of the $8 billion/year these knuckleheads get is wasted on this stupidity.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by txrus
Flew out of ABQ last week. After I got thru security, I found 4 screeners (complete w/their little cart & sign) huddled by the gift shop ready for some gate screening. No idea how long they had been there before I got there, but they hung out, in that same spot, for over an hour that I watched them before I leaded to my gate.

I would love to know how much of the $8 billion/year these knuckleheads get is wasted on this stupidity.
Did you see them testing any drinks or did they just stand around their cart?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Did you see them testing any drinks or did they just stand around their cart?
Just stood there the whole time I watched them.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by txrus
Just stood there the whole time I watched them.
I would like to see that program expanded! The more time screeners spend just standing around the less time they are spending hassling passengers. And there is no reduction in their effectiveness when doing nothing!
iluv2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.