Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Ari
I believe they are looking for a solution with a high content of H2O2. I suppose the theory is that if the content of H2O2 in the solution is high enough to use the synthesize explosives, the vapors will be sufficient to cause the strip to test positive. I could be way off, but that's my understanding of what this is about. I decline to defend the wisdom of the practice, however.
As I have discussed at some length in this thread (including an interesting exchange with TSORon), peroxides are not volatile enough, and test strips not sensitive enough, to detect traces of them in the air above a solution, no matter how concentrated. There are no test strips capable of detecting peroxides when waved above a solution. This is pure security theater.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by RedSnapper
The physical contact occurs through the vapor phase; any explosives or explosive byproducts detected would have to be volatile. Think of these strips as a less-sophisticated and less reliable form of the now abandoned "puffer" devices...
So volatile, in fact, that in all liklihood any such chemicals would have detonated the would-be terrist directly to Valhalla on the cab ride to the airport, correct? At least, that's my understanding from the little I've read online about explosive liquids.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightmedic72
Probably not H2O2. Organic peroxides can be highly explosive and highly unstable, so it's conceivable that given a sufficient concentration of peroxide, a terrorist could create a high explosive, but they require strong acids and time to react. The concentration of H202 required would require refrigeration and a special container. Mixing them is a complex multi stage process that would be difficult to achieve in an airliners bathroom.

My bet would be an "astrolite" type of explosive of ammonium nitrate and hydrazine. Hydrazine is extremely toxic even in small quantities. I recall from my hazmat experience that if you can smell it, the concentration has exceeded fatal levels. Nasty stuff to be carrying in public and a terror hazard in itself.
You've described a close cousin to hypergolic rocket fuel, except that the oxidizer generally is nitrogen tetroxide. Your HAZMAT experience is 100% correct. The other aspect about hypergolics is that they don't explode; they burn. If one or both of these chemicals doesn't kill you at home or on the way to the airport, releasing a quantity of N2O4 vapors into an airliner in flight would do a good job dissolving most peoples' lungs. Regardless, this scenario is nonsense because you couldn't handle it without killing yourself first.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: SSSSS
Any possible way we could come up with a means to make the hand-waving strips positive to see what they'd do?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:19 am

Are there any liquid explosive plots that are viable? Everything that I have read makes it sound like you would need lab conditions that are not readily available in an airport/airplane. Either that or they are so volatile that the bomber would likely blow himself up before getting to the airport. Was the liquid explosive plot that caused the war on liquids a viable plot?

I see some comments posted on the TSA Blog asking what happens if someone refuses the testing. There also are some asking why liquids aren't allowed through the checkpoint if they can be tested. I have a feeling they won't be answered.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by greentips
Any possible way we could come up with a means to make the hand-waving strips positive to see what they'd do?
Has anyone on FT *ever* reported a positive on the liquid test strip? My guess is no. Given that many FTers have seen positive ETD swabs, "positive" NoS alarms, etc., the lack of a test-strip positive makes me highly suspicious that there is no such thing and that the test strips really are nothing but blotting paper and pure theater. If that is case, it's possible even the screeners don't know.

There's been some success in the past figuring out what TSA is doing by looking at public procurement records to see what they buy. Has anyone looked for the test strips in this fashion?

Originally Posted by spd476
Are there any liquid explosive plots that are viable? Everything that I have read makes it sound like you would need lab conditions that are not readily available in an airport/airplane. Either that or they are so volatile that the bomber would likely blow himself up before getting to the airport. Was the liquid explosive plot that caused the war on liquids a viable plot?
Yes a liquid plot is viable; this one resulted in a death in 1994 and nearly downed a 747.

However, there are several interesting things to note about this plot:

1) Neither the USA nor anyone else overreacted by banning liquids. In fact, this plot occurred more than a decade before the war on liquids. There was much more common sense pre TSA. Governments around the world realized that the best course of action was to disrupt the plot and severely punish the terrorists, not to harass and terrorize millions of innocent passengers.

2) The successful device used nitroglycerin stabilized in a cotton-like material in a contact solution bottle. a) Pre war-on-water ETD could detect nitroglycerin quite well. b) liquid soaked cotton balls (or wet clothes/rags) have never been banned under the war-on-water. c) Contact solution is explicitly permitted by TSA under the medical liquid exemption (though it may be confiscated at random).

3) The successful plot bore little or no resemblance to the Hollywood-type plot portrayed as justification for the war on water. There was no makeshift lab equipped with ice baths and temperature control in the aircraft laboratory. Peroxide explosives were not used.

So while the fantastical plot described by TSA in 2006 does not seem practical, there are practical plots. However, why any bad guy would resort to notoriously unstable, unreliable, and dangerous (to the perpetrator) liquid explosives when there are much more reliable technologies available and reliable ways to get them onto aircraft is beyond me.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:53 am

Let me simplify this discussion a lot: There is nothing specifically dangerous about the liquid state of matter.

Explosives can come in all states of matter, and be prepared in different states (liquids stabilized onto solids, etc). There is no reason the TSA should be testing/limiting our sodas and not our chocolate bars.

Last edited by BubbaLoop; Jul 6, 2012 at 8:03 am
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:39 am

Has anyone submitted their drink for testing and then actually had the strip turn purple or develop a faint + sign or do whatever it is that happens when a drink is positive for [something or other]? What, exactly, happens to you and your formerly refreshing beverage at that point?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Has anyone submitted their drink for testing and then actually had the strip turn purple or develop a faint + sign or do whatever it is that happens when a drink is positive for [something or other]? What, exactly, happens to you and your formerly refreshing beverage at that point?
Well, I would think that the first thing that would happen is the TSO hands you a cigar and wishes your family the best of luck with their little bundle of joy.

Seriously, I don't even want to know. I'm sure it would involve lots of barking and a demand to know where you got that dangerous drink, followed by a "resolution" patdown (in a bathroom?) and removal from the secure area for rescreening.

All that said, I'd much more likely chug the drink and hand them the empty cup upon being told that I'd been "randomly selected".
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
You've described a close cousin to hypergolic rocket fuel, except that the oxidizer generally is nitrogen tetroxide. Your HAZMAT experience is 100% correct. The other aspect about hypergolics is that they don't explode; they burn. If one or both of these chemicals doesn't kill you at home or on the way to the airport, releasing a quantity of N2O4 vapors into an airliner in flight would do a good job dissolving most peoples' lungs. Regardless, this scenario is nonsense because you couldn't handle it without killing yourself first.
Which sounds that more terror would be created by the binaries, and not the results of mixing the binaries.

Let's remember that this is about the execution and prevention of terror. That does not functionally relate to things going boom (though there is a possible link).
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:28 pm

If these magic TSA strips do indicate that there are explosives present, 99.99999+% of the time it's going to be a false alarm. Some unlucky passenger is going to have a miserable experience at the hands of the TSA, police, etc.

However, on the incredibly rare chance that it is a terrorist and they have some magical liquid bomb, what is the TSA going to do? I doubt the terrorist is going to wait for additional testing to be performed and will simply detonate the bomb. If they have an elaborate plot to get this liquid past security, no matter how they do it, I figure they have a way to detonate the bomb. It may not be as lethal and flashy as blowing up a plane, but blowing up a busy gate would probably get the same terror effect. The same thing would happen if they were caught at a busy checkpoint.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
Well, I would think that the first thing that would happen is the TSO hands you a cigar and wishes your family the best of luck with their little bundle of joy.

Seriously, I don't even want to know. I'm sure it would involve lots of barking and a demand to know where you got that dangerous drink, followed by a "resolution" patdown (in a bathroom?) and removal from the secure area for rescreening.

All that said, I'd much more likely chug the drink and hand them the empty cup upon being told that I'd been "randomly selected".
I suspect if a test ever does come back positive, the fall-out will all be on the passenger - the pax will get extra attention, groping, bag searches, reports, name forever on government databases somewhere (after all, the pax must be guilty of something if his/her name is on a government report somewhere).

The vendor will be off the hook - I seriously doubt that if a Starbucks beverage tests positive, TSA is going to immediately shut down Starbucks, confiscate all Starbucks drinks in the sterile area immediately, freeze all Starbucks employees and conduct a rigorous swabbing of the entire shop and its workers.

After all, a 'bad guy' could never infiltrate Starbucks (protected by TSA's magic 'trusted vendor' program). A 'bad guy' would instead immediately put however much 'nasty' he's carrying into his beverage while at the gate (the same 'nasty' that he presumably slipped past the checkpoint).

Somebody in TSA procurement signed a sweetheart deal with a good friend to supply TSA with over-priced, useless test strips and now TSA is trying to find a way to use them. After all, now that they've been caught over-ordering and stockpiling goods in warehouses and lying to Congress when caught, I suppose they have decided to 'use up' existing supplies (ordered from cronies and friends) before asking the taxpayer to pay for more.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
This happened to me at Salt Lake City on Delta a few weeks ago. They told me they were checking on the vendors.
I really don't need a reason. We have to comply. Just get on with it.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:57 pm

"we have to comply" .... "resistance is futile" - sorry, but I'm not yet ready to be branded and shackled.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
There is no reason the TSA should be testing/limiting our sodas and not our chocolate bars.
Well of course that's the next step after the (predictable) failure of the liquids test to yield any positive finds.

Incrementalism my friend, Incrementalism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.