Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orion
This happened to me at Salt Lake City on Delta a few weeks ago. They told me they were checking on the vendors.
I really don't need a reason. We have to comply. Just get on with it.
No you don't. Just put liberty, freedom, and country above self and you'll be surprised how easy it is.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:07 pm

This happened to me at Salt Lake City on Delta a few weeks ago. They told me they were checking on the vendors.
And had your drink tested positive for something-or-pther, with what would you then be complying?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
We have to comply.
The second we start blindly complying with everything some pizza-boxer tells us to do is the second the terrorists win. Always question, always demand an answer, and always refuse to comply until someone gives you one.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:18 pm
Suspended

They told me they were checking on the vendors.
Bullspit. They can go test the vendors' stuff, then, not the passengers' stuff.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:18 pm

No you don't.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
Flying out of SLC the other day, had two TSA sheep come up to me with their little secret tester strips. I said I refused to which I got the obligatory "do you want to fly today"? One beverage hadn't even been opened yet, which I pointed out and they said it didn't matter. I handed both bottles to them and refused their return. Into the garbage they went. Next time I'll be asking for an MSDS on the strips as well as a complaint form.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Has anyone submitted their drink for testing and then actually had the strip turn purple or develop a faint + sign or do whatever it is that happens when a drink is positive for [something or other]? What, exactly, happens to you and your formerly refreshing beverage at that point?
Well, if the TV ads I've seen are any indication, the faint "+" symbol may mean you're pregnant. So you and your refreshing beverage are probably headed off to see the OB/GYN.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by lobster7
Flying out of SLC the other day, had two TSA sheep come up to me with their little secret tester strips. I said I refused to which I got the obligatory "do you want to fly today"? One beverage hadn't even been opened yet, which I pointed out and they said it didn't matter. I handed both bottles to them and refused their return. Into the garbage they went. Next time I'll be asking for an MSDS on the strips as well as a complaint form.
Well, that answers my question. Play along or you get threatened. I certainly hope you let them have a piece of your mind... I know that if I were threatened like that over an unopened drink that I had just purchased (or any drink), I'd also refuse to take them back and then I would light them up with as much of a ruckus as I possibly could, taking care to use clean language. Being that you're out of the checkpoint, I think there's a lot more freedom to be assertive with these _________s, no?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:13 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
So - if you refuse and demand a LEO, doesn't that buy you time to continue drinking / finishing your beverage (assuming you've opened it)? They can't physically prevent you from drinking it in their presence (that would be assault/battery).
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:22 am

Oh boy... wonderful to know I may have this to look forward to
when flying out of here in 10-days.

I wonder what results "your strip has contaminated my drink,
please purchase me a new drink
" would have.

I could then request evidence their strips do not leave behind
harmful chemicals.

Why am I reminded of old war movies, check points and the
Gestapo?

Perhaps they think that a pax may have connections with a
vendor that slips them something special when making a purchase.

In that case, direct their attention to the vendors and not the
passengers. Go into their stores and request to test several
unopened drinks in the display.

Seems there may be a security loophole with what a vendor
brings into a sterile area... just speculating.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by lobster7
This BS has got to stop.

If you head paid for the drink with a credit card, could you have later disputed the charge?

"At the time that I had planned to open the drink, the seal was already broken."

After all, you were not planning to open the drink at the gate.

By pulling this crap right as you are about to board, you lose all of the leverage of showing up two hours early for your flight and having all the time in the world to play along with the TSA's games.

The fact that the TSO pulled this crap on an unopened bottle indicates that this is not about security at all. Not one bit. Zero.

Blood boiling on a Saturday morning.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by TBD
So - if you refuse and demand a LEO, doesn't that buy you time to continue drinking / finishing your beverage (assuming you've opened it)?
Except this crap is pulled as the flight is boarding, and unless you have an understanding gate crew, you run the risk of missing your flight as you wait for a LEO and try to sort things out.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:34 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by saulblum
Except this crap is pulled as the flight is boarding, and unless you have an understanding gate crew, you run the risk of missing your flight as you wait for a LEO and try to sort things out.
Oh ... walk away from them and on to the plane?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by TBD
Oh ... walk away from them and on to the plane?
Let me know how that works out for you.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta, United
I am reminded of a old episode of M*A*S*H where someone gets an unauthorized nose job. To get around Frank Burns discovering who got it everyone in camp wears bandage on their nose.

It would be great to organize a mass protest by handing out a cup to everyone going into the sterile area asking them to hold (not fill) it until boarding. That would give the TSA something to do check a bunch of empty cups for bad air.

Of course I would rather have one of these in my cup:

http://www.sevendeals.com/p-313-snake-nut-can.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.