Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National Opt-Out Day: November 24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
They should start acting like well educated individuals then.
Are you not asking for the impossible?

Ask anyone from this agency to act like that?

And to go so far as to ask a smurf/clerk/genital groper to act like that

Originally Posted by STSODavis
People are making this pat down more than what it needs to be.

REALLY?, when was the last time one of your loved ones or you WITHOUT it being known who you work for, have gone thru a security checkpoint screening and gotten the enhanced patdown after going thru the ait, all on a regular basis

Witness your son or daughter getting one of the enhanced patdowns on a regular basis you might change your tune.

When was the last time one of your loved ones or YOU got one of these patdowns?

Typical attitude of somone working for TSA

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 12, 2010 at 1:40 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
To the op:
I've got the word out to my media contacts including CNN.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RoadVeteran
REALLY?, when was the last time one of your loved ones or you WITHOUT it being known who you work for, have gone thru a security checkpoint screening and gotten the enhanced patdown after going thru the ait, all on a regular basis

Witness your son or daughter getting one of the enhanced patdowns on a regular basis you might change your tune.

When was the last time one of your loved ones or YOU got one of these patdowns?

Typical attitude of somone working for TSA

Ummmmm...let me think....last week I had to get the pat down in DFW because a metal piece on my pants caused the walk thru to alarm. My kids have not had to get the pat down since I haven't flown anywhere with them since the new procedures. The hardest thing about the pat down to me is holding my arms up for so long...other than that I know I don't have anything on me so just do it and get it over with is how I feel.

Oh and my mother has to get patted down every time she flies because she doesn't go through the walk thru. So I know first hand what you all go through as regular passengers....my statement still stands....making it a bigger issue than what it is.

So I take it if they just say all people over the age of 65 and all children under 12 can bypass screening and some terrorist decides to send a 10 year old in wheelchair with a bomb strapped to him everyone would cry that TSA isn't doing enough. Or that little old lady with the knee replacement who so graciously hands me her card with that handy picture of her metal knee can bypass screening....this is why I say TSA can't win with most people.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:16 am

Yes, they are. And those people work at the top levels of the TSA.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: CO/DL
Ummmmm...let me think....last week I had to get the pat down in DFW because a metal piece on my pants caused the walk thru to alarm. My kids have not had to get the pat down since I haven't flown anywhere with them since the new procedures. The hardest thing about the pat down to me is holding my arms up for so long...other than that I know I don't have anything on me so just do it and get it over with is how I feel.

Oh and my mother has to get patted down every time she flies because she doesn't go through the walk thru. So I know first hand what you all go through as regular passengers....my statement still stands....making it a bigger issue than what it is.

So I take it if they just say all people over the age of 65 and all children under 12 can bypass screening and some terrorist decides to send a 10 year old in wheelchair with a bomb strapped to him everyone would cry that TSA isn't doing enough. Or that little old lady with the knee replacement who so graciously hands me her card with that handy picture of her metal knee can bypass screening....this is why I say TSA can't win with most people.
I think we can agree that we disagree over this point
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by peachfront
I plan to opt out for health reasons. I don't object to a pat-down. I'm not sure what to tell you. You seem to object to ionizing radiation of young people -- you mention a child -- and I absolutely agree. Heck, I'm not all that young, and I'm still not ready to say, "OK, I'm dead in 30 years anyway, so I don't care if you expose me to extra ionizing radiation." However, you also object to a pat-down. May I ask what type of search you DON'T object to? My feeling is that we can best protect our health and our ability to fly if we offer a reasonable alternative to the ionizing radiation. I don't see a health problem with a pat-down done by a professional person. My two cents only.
How many TSA clerks are "professionals?" Next to none.

If your doctor/attorney presented the appearance that the majority of these blokes present, would you consider them "professional?"
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Ionizing radiation is a fact of everyday life; it's in the ground, the sky and the walls of your house. It comes from natural and man-made sources. Fortunately, the nature, risks and effects of ionizing radiation are well-known. It follows predictable physical and mathematical laws, so like any hazard that's understood, it can be handled safely. Thousands have worked with radiation on a daily basis for years without harm; the difference between health and hazard is knowledge put into practice.

So I guess you should just cease to exist if you are so afraid of exposing yourself to ionizing radiation....because it's everywhere. When you choose to fly on an aircraft your are exposing yourself, without a medical professional...when you use your cell phone, you are exposing yourself.

I don't really care about whether people opt out or got through the AIT, as long as you're screened. People are making this pat down more than what it needs to be.
So, if it is all the same, and it is everywhere, why are there different standards for dealing with different types? Would you be willing to guarantee that the radiation in your machine will cause no damage? Or is the risk of a few people getting cancer fine, as long as you can try to catch a few bad guys?

I am not that concerned about it, but some here are as the mystery around the calibration and testing of the machines, not to mention the training of the operators is unverifiable. What we get is "Trust us, we only care about your safety." We do not believe you.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
To the op:
I've got the word out to my media contacts including CNN.
Awesome! Thanks! We really need some media play to get the campaign kicked off. I just talked to another reporter, so let's hope the message gets out there!
EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE! ADVOCATE, ADVOCATE, ADVOCATE!

http://www.optoutday.com
http://www.twitter.com/nationaloptout
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
The most effective opt-out day would be one in which opting-out meant following Michael Roberts' stand and choosing not to fly that day rather than being scanned or groped. Having a lot of no-shows on a busy travel day might also cause the airlines to pay attention.

Since flights are often overbooked on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, this type of action on that day would not adversely impact the airlines (unless those who opted out were on fully refundable tickets). Plus, most who are traveling on the 24th would not be willing to give up their travel plans.

Perhaps this could be a follow-up event?

Last edited by pbjag; Nov 10, 2010 at 9:49 am
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
So, if it is all the same, and it is everywhere, why are there different standards for dealing with different types? Would you be willing to guarantee that the radiation in your machine will cause no damage? Or is the risk of a few people getting cancer fine, as long as you can try to catch a few bad guys?

I am not that concerned about it, but some here are as the mystery around the calibration and testing of the machines, not to mention the training of the operators is unverifiable. What we get is "Trust us, we only care about your safety." We do not believe you.

Calibration and upkeep of the machines are taken extremely serious. It is at the airport in which I work as it should be at every airport nationwide. I am no scientist but the machines (from our regular X-ray machines for bags as well as the AIT's---or NoS as you all so lovingly call them) have been tested for safety by OSHA on a regular basis. The levels have been tested as far as how much i (if any) is being emitted from the machines to the officers that are in the immediate vicinity or operating it, as well as the individual as going through that machine since some of us have been screened by the AIT's as a part of training as well as a part of normal screening. Just as OSHA tests the noise levels of the airport in which we work to ensure that it is a safe working environment they do the same for the other machinery as well.

It is not my place to coerce someone into going through with the AIT screening. If a person chooses to opt out then that is their right. Just the same as the women who say they can't go through a metal detector because they are pregnant and they don't want the X-rays to harm their unborn child (the walk thru has a magnetic field, not x-rays...and they stand off to the side of the walk-thru directly next to the x-ray machine which will cause more harm by standing next to the opening of the x-ray machine than just walking thru the walk thru metal detector) but nonetheless I screen them without going through it because it is their right.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:15 am

I am no scientist but the machines (from our regular X-ray machines for bags as well as the AIT's---or NoS as you all so lovingly call them) have been tested for safety by OSHA on a regular basis.
Are the test results subject to the FOIA?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sounds good to me - I don't plan to travel that day.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'll remember that next time one of your colleagues slams his hand into my testicles and leaves me in pain for several minutes.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
After years of maintaining top status with airlines & Hilton, we are driving for Thanksgiving. It's a weird feeling to be canceling plane tickets & PriceLining 1* hotels in southern Iowa/northern Missouri, but we are doing it. While the rest of you are enjoying the gropes at your local airports that Thursday evening, we will be headed south in our VW.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I'll remember that next time one of your colleagues slams his hand into my testicles and leaves me in pain for several minutes.
There was also a post from an M.D. whose testicles were thus "examined" 4 times.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
If someone slammed their hands into your testicles then you have every right to complain. That should not be happening. If they were one of my employees I would make sure to correct it. (I can only speak for my airport) but passenger complaints are taken very serious and each and every complaint is followed up by an investigation into said complaint. Including getting statements from all individuals involved as well as video footage of the particular incident. My airport has more than 200 cameras just at the security checkpoint at least 10 cameras for every lane some of which are equipped with audio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.