FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - National Opt-Out Day: November 24, 2010
View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:27 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by STSODavis
Ionizing radiation is a fact of everyday life; it's in the ground, the sky and the walls of your house. It comes from natural and man-made sources. Fortunately, the nature, risks and effects of ionizing radiation are well-known. It follows predictable physical and mathematical laws, so like any hazard that's understood, it can be handled safely. Thousands have worked with radiation on a daily basis for years without harm; the difference between health and hazard is knowledge put into practice.

So I guess you should just cease to exist if you are so afraid of exposing yourself to ionizing radiation....because it's everywhere. When you choose to fly on an aircraft your are exposing yourself, without a medical professional...when you use your cell phone, you are exposing yourself.

I don't really care about whether people opt out or got through the AIT, as long as you're screened. People are making this pat down more than what it needs to be.
So, if it is all the same, and it is everywhere, why are there different standards for dealing with different types? Would you be willing to guarantee that the radiation in your machine will cause no damage? Or is the risk of a few people getting cancer fine, as long as you can try to catch a few bad guys?

I am not that concerned about it, but some here are as the mystery around the calibration and testing of the machines, not to mention the training of the operators is unverifiable. What we get is "Trust us, we only care about your safety." We do not believe you.