Search

National Opt-Out Day: November 24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

National Opt-Out Day: November 24, 2010

Folks,

The time for action has come!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 is NATIONAL OPT-OUT DAY!

Yes, it's short notice, but this is one of the busiest travel days of the year, thus opting out that day will have maximum impact. It is time for all citizens to stand up to government-approved molestation and naked body scans!

If you are traveling that day, or know of others who are, please OPT-OUT!!
Spread the word:
http://www.optoutday.com/

Now for my brief introduction: I've been lurking here a bit. I found my way here after reading TSA groping stories. I am completely outraged about this practice, but don't think that a single citizen can have much impact. If we come together in protest on a single day, one of the busiest of the year in the airports, perhaps that can be the start of change.

I travel quite a bit for work. I haven't yet traveled since the new enhanced pat downs have started, but fully expect to get my "resistance" felt in a couple of weeks on my next trip. But because of their naked scanners and their new pat downs, I refuse to let my family fly. I will NOT explain to my child why a guy with a uniform can feel him up! I feel so bad for those who have had to go through this. I hope that organizing National Opt-Out Day can somehow help!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
NationalOptOutDay. welcome to FlyerTalk and the TS/S Forum.

Your thread was stuck in the mod queue as it contained a link. That's a favorite trick of Spammers so the first few posts from a new member containing links have to be manually approved.

Anyway, it's cleared up now so let's get this show on the road.

Cholula
TS/S Co-Moderator
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I am flying the day before, but I consider any day that I have to opt-out to be an opt-out day.. So far, I have flown 120K this year, without going through the NoS, or getting a pat down!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

I know everyday is Opt Out Day around here. I'm preaching to the choir. My point with National Opt Out Day is to raise awareness about the issue, and allow people to coalesce around "something."

Many/most people have no idea what is going on, so staging an event on one of the busiest days of the year will certainly get some attention!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
Originally Posted by NationalOptOutDay
I know everyday is Opt Out Day around here. I'm preaching to the choir. My point with National Opt Out Day is to raise awareness about the issue, and allow people to coalesce around "something."
For FTers who opt out all the time, this would be a good day to distribute the NoS brochures, encouraging people at the airports to opt out.

Maybe we could do a GOGO deal: Each passenger who takes a NoS brochure gets a free copy of the TSA feedback form.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Whoo hoo! MSP-BNA that day. I'm in!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
This whole topic increases my blood pressure very significantly.

TSA
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Great idea! I won't be flying that day but will be at the airport passing out brochures!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:41 pm

They should set up the screening with a separate line for people who don't want the full body imaging. Then if that line is held up, it's only the opt outs affected.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
They should set up the screening with a separate line for people who don't want the full body imaging. Then if that line is held up, it's only the opt outs affected.
Or they should just get rid of the machines. Problem solved.^
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every day should be a national opt-out day.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down

I know that my opinions on the full body scanners and pat downs is in the minority on this website as I dont have an issue with them. With that said, I can respect that others see both things as a violation of their rights, etc. However, I take issue when somebody who disagrees with the process, purosely tries to start an organized action that will just cause problems and delays for those who feel differently. Why should I be delayed in going through security just because somebody else disagrees with the procedures and programs in place? There are ways to go about protesting the scanners and pat downs, delaying your fellow travelers by trying for an organized action is not the way.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Great idea. I'm going to post this thread on my Facebook page & hope everyone else who uses FB does the same.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
I know that my opinions on the full body scanners and pat downs is in the minority on this website as I dont have an issue with them. With that said, I can respect that others see both things as a violation of their rights, etc. However, I take issue when somebody who disagrees with the process, purosely tries to start an organized action that will just cause problems and delays for those who feel differently. Why should I be delayed in going through security just because somebody else disagrees with the procedures and programs in place? There are ways to go about protesting the scanners and pat downs, delaying your fellow travelers by trying for an organized action is not the way.
Why should I submit to unreasonable searches because you are in a hurry?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:05 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
and guess what, we may both be in a public space together and there may be people in wheelchairs, the elderly, the bewildered and the lazy. You may be held up by any of those or someone making a statement about government intrusion - suck it up or buy your own plane...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.