Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National Opt-Out Day: November 24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by alexmt
Well, for one because they have quit using X-ray machines that, if linear no-threshold theory is true, WILL cause people to get cancer and die and switched to millimetre wave systems that are non-ionising and thus will not cause cancer by any known mechanism.
It's still slow, invasive, unnecessary, and ineffective.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by LV702

Why aren't more people not opting out of this nonsense?
Perhaps because they don't want to be felt up; NOS is better than being groped.

Are the pat downs as awful as they were when this nonsense all began?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:25 pm

The one I had in DFW last week certainly was. Then again I had a false positive. The one is LAS I had was the most half-assed one I ever had.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:26 pm

Why aren't more people not opting out of this nonsense?
Many reasons.

Some folks decide that the physical pat-down that accompanies opting out is more invasive of one's privacy than the AIT scanners. Different people have different views on privacy; I can imagine a survivor of physical assault preferring an electronic scan rather than a physical pat-down. (More folks might feel this way now than in 2010, since the remote viewing of detailed body images has been eliminated from (almost?) all AIT scanners.)

Some folks might have opted out due to the radiation from the MMWbackscatter-based machines. Since (almost?) all of those machines have been removed from service, their reason for opting out may have been eliminated.

Some folks decide that their time is more valuable than their desire to avoid the AIT machines, and are willing to sacrifice one aspect of their privacy for a faster checkpoint experience.

Some folks now qualify for PreCheck, or for the exemptions granted to various (small) population groups, and therefore no longer have the opportunity to opt-out of AIT scanning.

Some folks don't know that they can opt-out, and so they don't exercise a choice that they don't know they have.

And some folks simply don't care about the issue.

Any assessment of what percentages of the traveling public fit into those categories is at best a guess --- a guess that probably reveals more about the speaker's opinions than the real reasons people aren't opting out.

Last edited by jkhuggins; Jan 3, 2014 at 3:39 pm Reason: confused MMW for backscatter
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:27 pm

The one I had in DFW last week certainly was. Then again I had a false positive. The one is LAS I had was the most half-assed one I ever had.
Were you forced into the private room or did they do it in public?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Some folks might have opted out due to the radiation from the MMW-based machines. Since (almost?) all of those machines have been removed from service, their reason for opting out may have been eliminated.
I think you mean the opposite. X-ray backscatter machines irradiated passengers, MMW scanners do not. I know for me, personally, this was my huge issue. The elimination of X-ray backscatter (and the resulting risk of skin cancer and possibly other cancers) eliminated any reason for me to opt out.

If I'm going to take unnecessary risks of disfiguring or deadly skin cancers, it'll be out enjoying the sun or a tanning bed. Not buying into security theatre.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:37 pm

I think you mean the opposite. X-ray backscatter machines irradiated passengers, MMW scanners do not.
Thanks; I stand corrected. (I'll edit my post.)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Were you forced into the private room or did they do it in public?
The 2nd time forced into the private room. Pat down is the same except they use the front of the hands for the feel up. Don't want the kettles to see that.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:45 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think you mean the opposite. X-ray backscatter machines irradiated passengers, MMW scanners do not.
Both backscatter and MMW machines irradiate passengers. They use different types of radiation, at different frequencies. One type of radiation is ionizing, and one is non-ionizing. However, they both emit radiation, and therefore they both "irradiate" passengers.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Both backscatter and MMW machines irradiate passengers. They use different types of radiation, at different frequencies. One type of radiation is ionizing, and one is non-ionizing. However, they both emit radiation, and therefore they both "irradiate" passengers.
On emission, true, in a technical sense, but when laypeople think "radiation" they strictly mean ionising radiation or cell phones. No one I know thinks of their WiFi, cordless phones, TVs, (usually) microwaves, etc as radiation. The only non-ionising radiation they consider radiation are mobile phones for some reason.

Anyway, a bunch of posts up I believe I did mention that MMW machines were non-ionising. EVERYTHING emits radiation, including your light bulb.

Second, irradiate almost exclusively means to expose to ionising radiation. I've never heard anyone except some anti-mobile phone nuts use the term irradiate to refer to exposure to non-ionising radiation.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:06 am

It's still slow, invasive, unnecessary, and ineffective.
You forgot expensive!

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Are the pat downs as awful as they were when this nonsense all began?
My personal experience is they got worse. Now you are forced to listen to a stupid memorized speech on how the machines do not use radiation (false) and have less signal than a cell phone (apples and oranges). If you dare to point out the falseness or misleading parts of the speech, they instantly retaliate with a power trip. They also get very offended and angry at any mention of the fact that they stick their hands into your pants during the pat downs (which is effectively what they do).
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
any time i'm in an airport where i don't have access to pre-check, i still opt out.

i still get the grope, and sometimes it's still REALLY invasive. i ALWAYS do it in public, and i explain to the agent that while she and i are fine, i'm going to roll my eyes at everything she does. i explain that it's not personal, and then i let her go through her spiel, and i roll my eyes.

it's still invasive, expensive, time-consuming and unnecessary. also, it doesn't make us any safer.

thank god for pre-check where available.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Now you are forced to listen to a stupid memorized speech on how the machines do not use radiation (false) and have less signal than a cell phone (apples and oranges).
Part 1 is only very technically false. They do not use ionising radiation. In popular language, radiation used unqualified (aka saying "radiation" and not "non-ionising radiation") refers to ionising radiation. The only people who use the unqualified word "radiation" to refer to non-ionising radiation are the tin foil hat anti-mobile/WiFi/microwave oven crowd. Even these people only use it to refer to SOME types of non-ionising radiation. I've never heard even them refer to the light put off by a light bulb or the infrared heat put off by glowing red coals as "radiation" despite it having MORE energy than the radio waves they so fear.

Part 2 is correct, they are not apples to oranges. It is a perfectly reasonable assessment that the signal field level of the MMW scanner is much lower than a mobile phone.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:09 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The only people who use the unqualified word "radiation" to refer to non-ionising radiation are the tin foil hat anti-mobile/WiFi/microwave oven crowd.
The entire scientific community uses the word "radiation" to refer to both ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. Most scientists and engineers are not in the "tin foil hat" crowd.

Colloquially, since the word "radiation" implies danger, people use it to refer to "dangerous radiation". It is similar to the word "chemical", which can refer to anything as simple as water or oxygen, but which implies danger and is therefore colloquially used to describe only chemicals that pose some sort of hazard.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
The entire scientific community uses the word "radiation" to refer to both ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. Most scientists and engineers are not in the "tin foil hat" crowd.

Colloquially, since the word "radiation" implies danger, people use it to refer to "dangerous radiation". It is similar to the word "chemical", which can refer to anything as simple as water or oxygen, but which implies danger and is therefore colloquially used to describe only chemicals that pose some sort of hazard.
Exactly, to the second part. And since dangerous radiation is ionising radiation, that is the colloquial meaning of radiation - ionising radiation. Non-ionising radiation is harmless except for causing heat damage (eg being right over hot coals or in a microwave).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.