Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National Opt-Out Day: November 24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by STSO_Davis
Review away....you can't hold me personally responsible for the actions of others. There are bad apples everywhere and some of those bad apples are in a position of public trust as well.
Yet you can hold me responsible for the actions of a few bad apples (aka terrorists) and force me to undergo invasive warrantless searches. Do you fail to see the hypocrisy here?

Which do you think is larger: percentage of TSOs who have infringed on civil liberties or committed crimes while on duty -or- percentage of airplane passengers who have attempted to bring down an airplane?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:33 am

I have no influence over what rules, policies, or directives an FSD institutes at his or her airport. And that's fine with me. You wanna criticize me for doing my job and not jeopardize that job to satisfy YOUR needs.....are you going to take care of me and my family's financial needs for the rest of my life....I don't think so...so why don't you continue to protest the way you have been doing.

And employees at all airports going through random screening. And this can occur at any place on the airport grounds at any time.

Seeing as how nothing I say can make you happy.....I might want to add that these are MY opinions and you don't have to agree with them.
Sir,

You have no right to molest children or single out individuals for arbitrary searches. If your financial well-being is dependent on what amounts, essentially, to sexual battery and psychological harassment then I am profoundly sorry for you that you are so desperate.

I assume you aren't among the pedophiles, perverts, thieves and bullies that are typical of TSA agents with that statement.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:38 am

are you going to take care of me and my family's financial needs for the rest of my life....I don't think so...so why don't you continue to protest the way you have been doing.
We always knew TSA was a jobs program - just ask the AFGE.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
And the private screening is an option that is there for anybody that wishes to take that option.
Would that include both the new Standard Pat Down and the Alarm Resolution Pat Down?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
are you going to take care of me and my family's financial needs for the rest of my life....I don't think so...so why don't you continue to protest the way you have been doing.
Quite frankly, I could care less about the welfare of those who would stripsearch & grope us.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
Starting an organized action such as this one will purposely slow down the process. Thats what the OP talked about in their first post with comments such as "Yes, it's short notice, but this is one of the busiest travel days of the year, thus opting out that day will have maximum impact".

Raise awareness of your views on the situation by passing out brochures, taking our newspaper ads, doing media interviews, speaking to politicians, etc. but organized actions that cause problems for those who dont agree with you are not the way to go.
It's called civil disobedience and has been used with varying levels of success for much of recorded history.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles - FO
Originally Posted by STSODavis

It is not my place to coerce someone into going through with the AIT screening. If a person chooses to opt out then that is their right. Just the same as the women who say they can't go through a metal detector because they are pregnant and they don't want the X-rays to harm their unborn child (the walk thru has a magnetic field, not x-rays...and they stand off to the side of the walk-thru directly next to the x-ray machine which will cause more harm by standing next to the opening of the x-ray machine than just walking thru the walk thru metal detector) but nonetheless I screen them without going through it because it is their right.
Longtime lurker, 1st time poster...

First some clarification from your earlier post: Cell phones do NOT emit ionizing radiation. You are however correct in that a magnetic field is not an X-ray. As you said, some travelers don't know the difference. There are few words that cause irrational fear like the word TERRORISM, but RADIATION is one of them.

This having been said, we know that actual X-Rays are now being used on airline passengers without a medical rationale and without their informed consent. The risk to their health may be insignificant; it may be significant. The decision to bear such a risk is one we are used to making after discussion with a medical professional of our choosing, a person whom we trust to advise us to act in the interest of our health. Now we are being asked to make this decision under duress, at the demand of a uniformed authority figure, believing that we face retaliation should we refuse.

None of us really has the data to do a proper risk analysis for these X-Ray machines. The question is not whether or not they will increase the risk of cancer but how much. Do we trust the TSA to make this decision for us? Given that this is the organization that tells us a 6oz bottle of shampoo is deadly but two 3oz bottles are safe...honestly: should we trust them?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
RedSnapper - welcome to the posting side of FT! Nicely done for a first post!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is getting some serious momentum.

Front page on MSNBC. The video in the article directs refers to national opt-out day.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LessO2

Front page on MSNBC. The video in the article directs refers to national opt-out day.
The poll results should get the airlines' attention. When asked whether they would choose the scanner, the grope or not to fly, 44.7% chose "Neither, I won't fly"

On another note, I added information regarding National Opt Out Day to the home page of tsa.gov using Google's sidewiki tool. If you are not familiar with sidewiki, it allows you to add "helpful information" to websites you visit. I posted about this in the Organized resistance thread a few eeks ago, but it doesn't look like anyone else has "added helpful information" to the TSA website. Possibly I should start a separate thread about this... Please download the tool from Google and add additional comments to the existing sidewikis - and if you wish, to other pages.

Last edited by pbjag; Nov 11, 2010 at 4:40 pm
Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 2P, SPG Aambassador, Marriot Silver, Hertz Gold
My plan:

1) Educate everyone I know not to go through the naked body scanners - especially my kids
2) Opt Out. If the TSA gangsta make a scene, so will I. I will match their volume and yell the reasons why I opt out
3) If a TSA gangsta touches my genitalia, I will attempt to restrain myself from defending myself against the physical assault (no promises)
4) If I'm successful in restraining myself, I will yell and make a scene. i.e. This guy just touched my dick!

I served 8 years in the Navy and have a current Top Secret/SCI clearance - I do NOT deserve to have to choose between potentially harmful radiation or being groped by some pathetic TSA thug!

It's time for us to take a stand!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Seeing as how nothing I say can make you happy.....
Not true at all.
The words "The WBI machines are being removed" would make everyone happy.

Ye of little faith.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

The good news here, I think in the MSNBC piece, is that the airlines are getting hammered with hundreds of letters/emails of people saying they're not flying and extremely upset with the new nude-o-scopes and enhanced pat downs. They're meeting with the gov to go over things on Friday. I don't know what will happen, but as far as I'm concerned that's progress right there.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To everyone who is participating in this, I wish ya'll the best of luck. Unfortunately, I'm not scheduled to fly that day or be anywhere an airport, so I can't join in the festivities.

In the spirit of how many people feel about airport security, I found George Carlin on airport security.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq8pd0fDNaA
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LessO2

At least they got one person that did not like being groped. The other people were "alright with security to keep us safe".. I would bet that if they really told the public about these machines, the "anything for security" crowed would change their minds pretty quickly..

Originally Posted by NationalOptOutDay
The good news here, I think in the MSNBC piece, is that the airlines are getting hammered with hundreds of letters/emails of people saying they're not flying and extremely upset with the new nude-o-scopes and enhanced pat downs. They're meeting with the gov to go over things on Friday. I don't know what will happen, but as far as I'm concerned that's progress right there.

Glad to see you got on there! I'm posting a link to the video, as well as the website on facebook!

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
To everyone who is participating in this, I wish ya'll the best of luck. Unfortunately, I'm not scheduled to fly that day or be anywhere an airport, so I can't join in the festivities.

In the spirit of how many people feel about airport security, I found George Carlin on airport security.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq8pd0fDNaA
lol ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.