Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScatterX
How are these things calibrated, by whom, how often, etc.? What are the qualification/training requirements for the person doing the calibration?
Perhaps these are questions that everyone who opts out should be asking of screeners, especially if they are asked for a reason for opting out.

My initial response to the FTer who was told he had to give a reason for opting out, was that you don't have to give them any reason. But now I'm rethinking: Ask the above question and then say your reason for opting out is because the screener cannot answer your questions about the safety of the machines.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
9/19/10, SJC, aound 5AM: I was shown the machine and said "I'd like a manual screening please". The guy said "Do you have a medical device?" and I said "No, I'm a cancer patient" (I am, Hodgkin's Lymphoma, 2000, ten years clean and I'd like to keep it that way) and he motioned me to the WTMD and told the girl on the other side "manual search" and she asked why. He said "medical condition" and I walked through the WTMD. No manual search, it was all handled pretty well all things considered. He shouldn't have asked me why but the cancer card doesn't bother me much and it worked very well.

I have to say that the SJC crew was getting things done quickly, ourteously, and none of them were cracking their gum and all apeared to be speaking proper English.

They had those infernal things going at ORD on the outound leg but I asn't asked to go though them there. The ORD crew was, as usual, slow, barking orders at everyone and several were cracking gum and had abandoned standard English.

--PP
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
From what I have heard, all checkpoints have complaint forms available, my recommendation it if any TSO acts in a rude manner or tries to bully you around, get a complaint form, get their badge number and file a complaint against that TSO, also alert all your fellow travelers around you about these complaint forms as well.

Maybe if enough complaints are filed against certain individual TSOs, maybe the TSA will fire some of these Wal-Mart rejects and replace them with someone who at least can read and spell. It might be wish full thinking, or maybe some action will be taken.

I know I will start doing this myself the next time I am treated like a piece of $hit by these blue shirted junior Gestapo agents.

I will also file a complaint against that TSO with one of the Senators from my home state, Connecticut, Sen. Joe Lieberman, who also happens to be the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security, and I recommend you also file a complaint with him as well. His Washington DC address is 706 Hart Office building, Washington DC 20510. For Connecticut residents, his address is One Constitution Plaza, 7th floor, Hartford CT 06103.

In my case, since I am in Hartford once a week, I will personally drop off my complaints to his staff at his office.

I also recommend you do the same with your states senators and congressman, file complains about these TSOs with their offices as well.

Sen. Lieberman is definitely someone who is for the people, and thats why he has been re-elected over and over, even after the last time when he lost the democratic primary and ran as an independent, he still beat the endorsed party candidate by almost 10 points. Sen. Lieberman listens and cares for the people.

Mr. Elliott
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Please be sure your printed flier has the websites on it. Not all versions do at this point.

Try this version.
50 Copies printed out.

Now a question for you veterans of this: Is it bad form for me to "accidentialy" leave one of these in the gate lounge, and perhaps in the seatback pocket of the plane I fly in, making sure its title is plainly visible?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikemey
50 Copies printed out.

Now a question for you veterans of this: Is it bad form for me to "accidentialy" leave one of these in the gate lounge, and perhaps in the seatback pocket of the plane I fly in, making sure its title is plainly visible?
All's fair in love and war - and this is war.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Please be sure your printed flier has the websites on it. Not all versions do at this point.

Try this version.
A suggestion for yet another version of the pamphlet:

A quote from and link to the Michael Roberts article:

While we take airline security very seriously, we do not believe the dubious benefits of these invasive measures justify the trade off in employee and passenger privacy and other rights and liberties. It is our view that reasonable levels of security within the air transportation system can and must be achieved without producing images of travelers naked bodies or subjecting them without cause to unwanted, unwelcome touching at the hands of federally employed airport security guards.
http://www.prlog.org/10891401-airlin...a-tyranny.html

If travelers see that pilots are objecting, it might make it easier for others to object also.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 30, 2010 at 1:24 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by doober
All's fair in love and war - and this is war.
Leave them EVERYWHERE where people may see them!

This is a war against the shredding of our Constitution which has more importance than the war against terrorism!

As we snaked through line we noticed a giant metal and plastic cylinder making a humming noise.

Whats that? we asked the TSA agent.

Its a body scanner, the TSA agent replied.

Is the body scan compulsory?

Are you refusing the body scan sir?

Yes.

The agent than called over another agent for a manual inspection. Manual, having to do with the hands, meant hands on. Quite literally.

Sir, because you have refused the body scanner I will be giving you a through manual pat down. Please spread your arms and turn around.

But my computer and wallet are in the x-ray machine. I wont be able to see them if I turn around.

Theyll be fine sir.

Im sure they will. But I wont be able to see them if I turn my back. I would like to keep them in sight.

Someone in a blue shirt will be watching them. Theyll be fine.

Im sure they will. Id like to keep them in sight.

Fine. Step over here. He moved the items and to where we could see them and then described what he was about to do.

I will pat down your entire body using my gloved hands. On your legs and buttons I will lightly cup your jeans. If you prefer a private inspection one can be arranged. For your front I will be using the back of my hand to pat down the zipper area.

Then he started. And frankly, we havent received that much thorough attention from a stranger in quite some time. Other passengers passed by, some averting their eyes and others grinning (either out of sympathy or lechery, it was hard to tell). It took about five minutes of careful, gentle, comprehensive molestation by a public servant.

And then at the end, apparently without any sense of irony, he finished his lingering inspection of your editor and said, Thats it. You can go now. Youre a free man.
BAAAAARF !

http://www.bearmarketinvestments.com...9re-a-free-man

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 30, 2010 at 1:24 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:46 pm
FSU

TPA 9/26 United Flight

I have been traveling through Tampa a lot lately and have managed to avoid these infernal machines for awhile now. In the past I just timed my walk so I would come to the machine just as another was entering. This time is didn't work.

"Would you step in here Sir?"

I said no thanks.

I was directed to a chair to sit in and an agent came over and asked if I had anything on the belt. I told him yes and he politely said he would get all the items and bring them to me so I could keep my eyes on everything.

He performed a quick 2 minute pat down, was friendly and professional and asked me to wait a few moments while he ran his gloves through an explosive detector. Then said I was free to go and wished me a nice trip.

Not what I was expecting at all.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
FWIW, I noticed that TPA was sending all pax through the NoS on Saturday. Nobody questioned the machine, and went blindly through
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mikemey
50 Copies printed out.

Not at all. I left one in the magazine & one in the SkyMall catalog on my last trip.

... and a couple in the rental car (glove box & center console compartment) & a couple in the hotel room (in drawers, also in magazines & the Gideon when possible to minimize the chance of a thorough housecleaning throwing them out).
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:02 pm

I opted out at PIT again today, at the "alternate" checkpoint. This time, the pat-down smurf tried to make conversation with me. I talk to them as little as humanly possible, so I didn't answer any of her chit-chatty 'are you going someplace fun today?' questions.

At one point the male counterpart who was standing behind watching told her that I was an opt out, apparently to explain the fact that I wasn't going to be friendly.

It seems some of them are well aware that they are disliked.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by ScatterX
I expect nothing but waste, fraud, and abuse from the TSA.

This one area seems like more fertile ground for a FOIA request-a-thon or a lawsuit than the privacy one, IMO. The government should not be able to willfully expose citizens to radiation, especially without any controls or oversight.
Already underway: EPIC body-scanner lawsuit
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mozgytog
I opted out at PIT again today, at the "alternate" checkpoint. This time, the pat-down smurf tried to make conversation with me. I talk to them as little as humanly possible, so I didn't answer any of her chit-chatty 'are you going someplace fun today?' questions.

At one point the male counterpart who was standing behind watching told her that I was an opt out, apparently to explain the fact that I wasn't going to be friendly.

It seems some of them are well aware that they are disliked.
I wonder if it's SOP to have a TSO of the opposite gender standing by to observe all opt-out frisks.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder if it's SOP to have a TSO of the opposite gender standing by to observe all opt-out frisks.
He had an important job to do, standing there bug-eyed waiting to swab those gloves.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FSU
TPA 9/26 United Flight

I have been traveling through Tampa a lot lately and have managed to avoid these infernal machines for awhile now. In the past I just timed my walk so I would come to the machine just as another was entering. This time is didn't work.

"Would you step in here Sir?"

I said no thanks.

I was directed to a chair to sit in and an agent came over and asked if I had anything on the belt. I told him yes and he politely said he would get all the items and bring them to me so I could keep my eyes on everything.

He performed a quick 2 minute pat down, was friendly and professional and asked me to wait a few moments while he ran his gloves through an explosive detector. Then said I was free to go and wished me a nice trip.

Not what I was expecting at all.
I travel a lot through both TPA and also Sarasota (SRQ), and I find the TSA people at both these airports are the most courteous and professional of all the airports I travel through.

All the a$$hole TSA personnel at ATL and Delta at LGA should be required to spend time at TPA or SRQ and see that this is how you treat the traveling public, friendly and with a smile, and guess what, the traveling public will treat them back the same way.

But unfortunately most of the Wal-Mart/McDonald rejects that the TSA scooped off of the streets have no people skills whatsoever, probably why they had to get a job with the TSA, nobody else would hire them.

Mr. Elliott
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Now at BNA.

Long lines at the WN AA side, terminal C, so I went around to the Terminal A/B side and there they were. It may be why everyone seemed to be in the Terminal C lines. I was stuck in line and was directed to the machine. A barker was barking about removing everything and since I was getting TSA massage I just left them, including the belt.

I walked through the WTMD with no alarm and was directed to the salon for my massage. I said that I wanted to keep and eye on my stuff and moved to where I could see the belt and refused to budge until my stuff came through. Wouldn't you know, my carry on got pulled for a secondary.

So, I had one looking in my bag, one patting me down, and one more just standing around waiting for the gloves to run the chem test on. All in all quick and painless.

One mystery: I walked through the WTMD with no alarm and he insisted that I take the non-alarming belt off. I said why as it did not alarm. He said he had to check it. I said it is a web belt that you can see through. He insisted, as I thought he might. So I took off the belt and he proceeded to do a most ridiculous check of a light web belt.

Note for the next time: Use the C side even when flying out of terminal A/B. There are two of the machines so far, both over on the A/B side even though the two sides are connected in one big area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.