Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
It is not new. I actually "argue" with people to leave their watch on, even if they alarm the WTMD. they will be searched, but it does not have to be removed.
Good to know, thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
You do not need to remove your watch, ever. Whether you go through the AIT, WTMD, or refuse both.
You don't need to remove your watch, unless, of course, you do need to remove it. As in the case of the Florida woman who was ordered to remove her watch before going through the checkpoint at Norfolk. Or any time a random TSA screener, making up rules randomly, says "you have to remove your watch."

RadioBloke has been told at LAX that he had to remove his watch before going through the WTMD.

But by all means, please continue pretending that all screeners everywhere use the same rules.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
But by all means, please continue pretending that all screeners everywhere use the same rules.
So I didn't hear a screener today order everyone to remove their watches?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
You do not need to remove your watch, ever. Whether you go through the AIT, WTMD, or refuse both. So next time keep it on.
Originally Posted by deldel
Is this new? What if the watch alarms the WTMD or the wand? If it alarms would it need to be x-rayed?
It is not new. I actually "argue" with people to leave their watch on, even if they alarm the WTMD. they will be searched, but it does not have to be removed.
I find this interesting, and at odds with my travel experiences. Please provide the citation to the current TSA SOP that governs this. I'm not asking for the content, just the item reference.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by exbayern
So I didn't hear a screener today order everyone to remove their watches?
no, you were obviously hallucinating....

how could you possibly question the words of those who belong to the group of 'Real American Heroes'™
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: OnePass
Actually, I've never removed my watch and have never had a problem. And it's not like I hide it either, because I wear short sleeves 99% of the time when I travel.

Neither the Fossil watch I wear 95% of the time nor the Movado have made the WTMD alarm.

I don't recall any TSO asking me to take it off, and even if they did I'd have told them no.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:50 am

Has anyone ever thought of wearing a cup? That would probably mess with their heads a little bit and protect your jewels from molesting.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:54 am
Suspended

Why do you advise people to do something that will result in their being invasively searched by a poorly trained, unprofessional TSA clerk?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:02 am

I could see a new market for fencing chest protectors and shields for women
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
no, you were obviously hallucinating....

how could you possibly question the words of those who belong to the group of 'Real American Heroes'™
So, if we oppose the AIT nonsense can we characterize ourselves as "Reeling American Heroes"?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Um, then why did a screener in ORD yell (and I mean yell) at me to remove my ceramic watch a few weeks ago...?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
You don't need to remove your watch, unless, of course, you do need to remove it. As in the case of the Florida woman who was ordered to remove her watch before going through the checkpoint at Norfolk. Or any time a random TSA screener, making up rules randomly, says "you have to remove your watch."

RadioBloke has been told at LAX that he had to remove his watch before going through the WTMD.

As far as FT members go, you are usually one of the more intelligent, so I am amazed at your blunder here. I never said, implied or pretended that TSOs do not break or know their own procedures. ALL I did was to state policy when asked eariler in the thread. Please just stick to what I wrote. Thanks.

Originally Posted by pbjag
Um, then why did a screener in ORD yell (and I mean yell) at me to remove my ceramic watch a few weeks ago...?
As i have said before, in different threads, some TSOs are mistaken about SOP. However, now you know the actual policy.

Originally Posted by mikemey
Actually, I've never removed my watch and have never had a problem. And it's not like I hide it either, because I wear short sleeves 99% of the time when I travel.

Neither the Fossil watch I wear 95% of the time nor the Movado have made the WTMD alarm.

I don't recall any TSO asking me to take it off, and even if they did I'd have told them no.
Correct, most watches and most belts do not alarm the WTMD.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2010 at 5:37 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
As far as FT members go, you are usually one of the more intelligent, so I am amazed at your blunder here. I never said, implied or pretended that TSOs do not break or know their own procedures. ALL I did was to state policy when asked eariler in the thread. Please just stick to what I wrote. Thanks.
And generally, when I run across screeners that disagree with what the folks here have told us trying to be helpful, they are adamant that it is they that know the rules as well.

You know, if we could just see a copy of the rules, it would help us a lot. It might even help you. We really, really want to avoid hassles in the screening. If we knew the rules we could.

I know, SSI.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:20 am
Suspended

As i have said before, in different threads, some TSOs are mistaken about SOP. However, now you know the actual policy.
No, we know what one person claiming to be a TSA clerk says the policy is. And since TSA's poorly-trained, unprofessional clerks are empowered to make up any policy they wish at any time for any reason, that doesn't really help matters any.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by flapping arms
I find this interesting, and at odds with my travel experiences. Please provide the citation to the current TSA SOP that governs this. I'm not asking for the content, just the item reference.
Some items are exempt from going through the x-ray if you do not wish it. Small jewelry including watches are part of the exempted items. However, if you alarm the WTMD you can be asked to send those items through to attempt to clear the WTMD, and you can refuse removal and e searched instead, along with the item itself being hand checked. It is policy, and yes, I do know some TSOs violate this policy.

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
And generally, when I run across screeners that disagree with what the folks here have told us trying to be helpful, they are adamant that it is they that know the rules as well.

You know, if we could just see a copy of the rules, it would help us a lot. It might even help you. We really, really want to avoid hassles in the screening. If we knew the rules we could.

I know, SSI.
Regardless, that does not change the fact that RadioGirl was incorrect in static that i said or implied all TSOs follow policy.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.